Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Learning to Run (any tips, tricks, hints, warnings?!)

Posted by   + Show Post

So I decided that its time.

My long story short-I've been trying to lose weight since 2010.  Lost 70 between '10-'11 then just a few pounds last year.  My goal was to get under 200 before I started running just to be easier on my body but I have been on a plateau for a year basically and I thought kicking up my workout might just be what I need to get the jiggly bits less jiggly. 

I started a C25K program and have already decided I'm going to do each week twice before trying to advance unless I feel super confident-or am I wrong doing that?

Any advice, tips, tricks, warnings about running I should worry about?

I'll be buying actual running shoes this coming weekend and adding some more supportive sports bras to my arsenal.

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (41-50):
twinsies041
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I really like Jillian michaels podcasts. It's fun to listen to her when I run. It's like a talk show so it keeps you occupied. Plus it's cool to listen to fitness talk while your workin on your fitness lol!

Quoting Vertical15:

I have to ask my husband how to get them onto my phone.  He got me a set of ear plugs yesterday-I'm not god when it comes to technology!  Do you have any reccommendations for podcasts?  Is just listening to music a good way, too?

I was trying o breath normally the first day and then yesterday I realized that in through your nose and out your mouth was easier and kept my heart rate more steady.

Quoting twinsies041:

Really focus on your breathing techniques. In through your nose out through your mouth! Also i just recently started listening to podcasts and I looove it! Makes it go by so much quicker :)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Thanks, good to know it can be done!

Quoting soliderwife:

I lost 45 pounds running i still run 5 days a week.. Drink plenty of water. when your hurting stip walk a bit.. My DH being Army helped me out .Then at gym where i also workout i got a trainer. had to give yp allmy fried foods hard for southern gal..

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM

This is what I'm following-

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Quoting EmilyJ604:

Well if you figure out an easy way to train yourself please let me know I have tried several times I think I'm just not made for running lol

Quoting Vertical15:

I felt good my first day but my second day was harder even though I did the same exact thing!

Quoting EmilyJ604:

I have the same question I have a hard time breathing when I run I think I need someone to run beside me telling me to breathe lol

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Good point!  I'll look some up thanks!

Quoting twinsies041:

I really like Jillian michaels podcasts. It's fun to listen to her when I run. It's like a talk show so it keeps you occupied. Plus it's cool to listen to fitness talk while your workin on your fitness lol!

Quoting Vertical15:

I have to ask my husband how to get them onto my phone.  He got me a set of ear plugs yesterday-I'm not god when it comes to technology!  Do you have any reccommendations for podcasts?  Is just listening to music a good way, too?

I was trying o breath normally the first day and then yesterday I realized that in through your nose and out your mouth was easier and kept my heart rate more steady.

Quoting twinsies041:

Really focus on your breathing techniques. In through your nose out through your mouth! Also i just recently started listening to podcasts and I looove it! Makes it go by so much quicker :)

Sweet0.0Cheeks
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:19 AM

If you can run outside as much as possible. I started the C25k on the treadmill and when I got outside I couldn't run 2 mins! It was awful. I couldn't breathe and my legs ached. I finally got to where I could run 2 miles outside and winter hit.

Sweet0.0Cheeks
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Also, I wanted to add that for me and my friend running was a 70% mins. At first it is totally your body holding you back. But then it comes to a point that your mind sabotages you. Because running is always hard and physically exerting. So you have to find ways to distract yourself while running. Count light poles, mailboxes, spider webs, dogs, house. Anything you can to take your mind off what you area actually doing. Good Luck!

qslaqhay
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Im currently reading Run yourself skinny by Michael Thomas. Very good book specially for begginers.

qslaqhay
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Pandora!!

My radio station is MSTRKRFT. Nothing like a great run w some electronic music in it. Keeps me pump!!

Im a ac25K grad. And currently doing the 10k app!! enjoy it
AmandaLacy
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM
If u have a smart phone there is a free c25k app.
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Thanks!  I want to start running outside.  I just can't stand the cold so as soon as it wamrs up a little bit more I'll be out there!

Quoting Sweet0.0Cheeks:

If you can run outside as much as possible. I started the C25k on the treadmill and when I got outside I couldn't run 2 mins! It was awful. I couldn't breathe and my legs ached. I finally got to where I could run 2 miles outside and winter hit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN