Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Should I take OR not at all???

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM
  • 9 Replies

well my sister is taking some vitamins from GNC so she recommendedme to try one of her  packs which i did. It made me seem like i just had more energy which was great!!  i am trying to lose weight to which is hard but i got the vitamins there called "Womens Ultra Mega Active". they were buy 1 get one 50% off and also i got a product called "OxyElite Pro" which is Oxy Pro is for weight loss. First off has any body heard of these or even tired them???? plz let me know what you thought and what is did for you and ur body..i did my research and i thought i was making a good choice in my life to help me be more healthy.but i have a few questions

1. should i even take them? i am on lots of other pills like anti-depresseats. I know i should of talked to my doc b4 i got them but hey i just wanted to get some advice and see what it did for you (well if you tired it)

2. should i just return them and get my money back  

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Most people in here do not recommend taking weight loss supplements.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
teracheri
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I have never taken any kind of supplements or vitamins of any kind. The healthiest way to lose weight is to eat right and exercise. Drink lots of water, cut out sugar and processed foods as much as possible. Eat clean. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Or so I have heard. good luck to you!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:58 PM
I would return it immediately. I was just reading through the EXTENSIVE warnings on that stuff, and it says not to take it with antidepressants (it specifically lists MAOIs and SSRIs, but I wouldn't take it with a TCA either). These types of pills are seriously dangerous, and I would avoid any of them at all costs. It's had a crap ton of caffeine in it, which is going to leave you buzzed for awhile. Then you'll build a tolerance to it, which also means you'll crash hard if you do the 8 weeks on, 4 weeks off it recommends. It's a big fat waste of money and a potential litany of health problems waiting to happen. A multivitamin is one thing, but weight loss pills are quite another. The only thing I'd spend real money on, supplement-wise, is fish oil. I get Nordic Naturals, but Norweigian is good, too. You can get those at Whole Foods. That and a multi (and perhaps a vitamin D3 supplement- can be found with fish oil!) is plenty. Adding in more vitamins just makes expensive urine and increases your risk for toxicity. Unless you have a deficiency, which I would hope you'd already know, if you're taking a lot of meds and seeing your doctor often, you won't need more than that. I'd be especially careful since you are taking a lot of meds- too many things can interact with medications in dangerous ways.
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Def need to realize that most thermogentics which oxyelite pro is a pill that makes you sweat more... It's not really good if you are sensitive to caffeine or have heart or anxiety conditions.

I say return it

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Here's where I read that, copied from the GNC website:

Warning:  This product is only intended to be consumed by healthy adults 18 years of age or older. Pregnant or nursing women should not use this product. Consult with your health care provider before using this product, especially if you are taking any prescription, over the counter medication, dietary supplement product or if you have any pre-existing medical condition including but not limited to: high or low blood pressure, cardiac arrhythmia, stroke, heart, liver, kidney or thyroid disease, seizure disorder, psychiatric disease, diabetes, difficulty urinating due to prostate enlargement or if you are taking a MAO-B inhibitor or any other medication, including but not limited to MAOIs, SSRIs or any other compounds with serotonergic activity. This product contains caffeine and should not be taken by individuals wishing to eliminate this ingredient from their diet. Discontinue use 2 weeks prior to surgery. Do not use in combination with caffeine or any stimulants from other sources whatsoever, including but not limited to, coffee, tea, soda and other dietary supplements or medications. Do not combine with alcohol. Discontinue use and immediately consult your health care professional if you experience any adverse reaction to this product. Do not exceed recommended serving. Do not use if safety seal is broken or missing. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

kaycersmom
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I saw a documentary once on weight loss pills. The regulations for them are basically that theyre safe unless proven unsafe (that's what I got from it anyway) in it he made and packaged his own diet pills and they were approved for sale. I just wouldn't trust any pills for that reason and because there is no quick easy fix for weight loss.

nikkiej2012
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:19 AM

thanks for every1s feedback and honest answers

pinkysmommy720
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:36 AM
I take the WUMA and do fine with it. I don't take the Oxy though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:38 AM
My mom gave me her women's ultra mega vitamins and I couldn't take them...they made me jittery and uncomfortable:/ but worse, the made me not feel like eating (metabolism sabatoge!) so I stopped taking them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN