Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

A pound a day

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM
  • 9 Replies
That's what my 66 yr old dad is averaging. It's really getting to me! They live close and we visit alot. He goes to the gym every morning and he has lost close to 60 lbs in the last 3 months. He looks like he is melting. He falls asleep frequently while we visit which is not usual for him. I don't think he is getting enough to eat! I'm glad he is loosing weight and I'm glad he is working out but he is doing it too fast! I've talked to him many times but he just tells me he can't eat more or he will gain. I told him his bmr and he flat out refused to eat that much. He said he never ate that much even at his heaviest. I believe him, he has never eaten alot. He is on mfp with me and he weighs in almost every day. It's frustrating because he will most likely gain it all back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Hug that can be frustrating. Just keep on your healrhy path and hopeful itvill rub off on him
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM

That's scary, I'm sure!  He's definitely not fueling his body properly, especially if he's falling asleep so much.  But unfortunately, he's probably just happy to be seing results, and doesn't see the bigger picture here.  Hopefully for his sake, he'll be able to figure out maintaining this loss, and maybe be able to work on actually fueling his body.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

KyrinM
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I'd convince him to see his doctor & get a physical & talk to the doc about his weight loss regime.  A lot of the time men don't listen unless it is someone in authority telling them, my Ex is like this, I told him stuff for years, it wasn't til his doctor said it that he actually listened.  eye rolling

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM

This is good advice... Sometimes seeing things in concrete evidence/terms like bloodwork can convince you quickly about how things are effecting your health.

Quoting KyrinM:

I'd convince him to see his doctor & get a physical & talk to the doc about his weight loss regime.  A lot of the time men don't listen unless it is someone in authority telling them, my Ex is like this, I told him stuff for years, it wasn't til his doctor said it that he actually listened.  eye rolling

iamcafemom83
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Oh gosh before I knew better about mfp's default 1200 calories, I was napping a lot! And I am not a napper. To me, that is a for sure sign of not getting enough calories (barring any other issues).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM
He just went to have his cholesterol and blood pressure checked and a kidney function test. His doc told him he was doing great :(

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

This is good advice... Sometimes seeing things in concrete evidence/terms like bloodwork can convince you quickly about how things are effecting your health.

Quoting KyrinM:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Unfortunately when he gains the weight back he will understand.

added: he will eventually hit a plateau and maybe that is when he can see the advantage of eating more.

what is he calorie intake anyways? It has to be pretty low.

Quoting norahsmommy:

He just went to have his cholesterol and blood pressure checked and a kidney function test. His doc told him he was doing great :(

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Quoting KyrinM:

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I'm so sorry. I think my grandpa is the same but he is extremely headstrong so I won't even talk to him about it. I'm pretty close to my grandparents (lived with them in high school) but arguing with him is useless.  he's in his 70s and has been eating very little and losing quite a lot of weight.

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM
I doubt it's over 1200. Mfp set him up at 1450 and I explained to him that they intend for you to work out and eat back all your excersise calories but I know he isn't doing that. At most he is eating a hair under 1450 because it aways says he is under his calorie goal for the day.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Unfortunately when he gains the weight back he will understand.

added: he will eventually hit a plateau and maybe that is when he can see the advantage of eating more.

what is he calorie intake anyways? It has to be pretty low.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Quoting KyrinM:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)