Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Help me with non-processed foods

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 4 Replies

I want to cut back on processed foods but I am so confused.. I feel like as long as it's water, a fruit or vegetable then I can't eat anything else. Ha ha  I know that's not true but please help!

I only want to lose 5lbs and just tone up a little. I am good about not eating in between meals most days, I have soda maybe twice a month, I try to eat the healthier bread with grains in it etc..

A typical day would be:

Breakfast - Any type of Kellog's Special K with skim milk

Lunch - Ham or turkey sandwich with cheese, some "healthy" chips ( Lays Simply Natural chips. They have potatoes, expeller pressed  sunflower oil and sea salt) But who knows if its really healthier.. and water

Dinner - any type of meat or fish.. Tonight we are having roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing

I try to watch my portions and if it says 13 potatoes chips I put 13 potatoes chips on my dish etc.. I am thinking since the little weight I want to lose is not coming off maybe its the processed foods and I need to exercise more.

Help!

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
liveforever
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Well first, eating the right snacks in between meals is helpful. It keeps your metabolism going and keeps you from over eating at your next meal. I like pistachios, small rice cakes with a little pb and cut up banana, veggies and hummus etc. 

For breakfasts you could make an omlett with egg whites and veggies. Im not big on breakfast so I really like smoothies. I usually do almond milk, plain greek yogurt, and a mix of fresh and frozen fruit.

Lunch Im still looking for some good ideas. I like a salad of mixed greens with chicken. If I make some for dinner Ill make extra to keep on hand and shred for salads. I add tomato, black olive, sometimes a little cheese.

For dinners I like a lean meat and lots of veggies. The other night I made turkey burgers with sun dried tomato and spinach mixed in the meat and put it on a wheat sandwhich thin. Ive been trying to get creative and finding new recipes.

Eating processed snacks in moderation is ok....sometimes you just really want a few chips and depriving yourself could lead to over doing it! Just try and think next time you eat those chips...13 chips has how many calories and how much fat? ...compared to how much more you could eat of something better for you.

eema.gray
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM
For me, processed is anything out of a can, jar, bag, or box, with a few exceptions. Canned tomatoes and frozen veggies are processed but not in a way that significantly affects tha nutritional quality of the food. But most cereal is so hopelessly overprocessed as to not be worth anything at all. Old fashioned rolled oats (not the instant stuff) are a reasonably good choice, technically they are processed but not overly so.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Almost any food in its original state is unprocessed.  Think of oats, rice, meats, sprouted grains, raw dairy.

Cereals are generally pretty processed.  I do Kashi cereals, but that's about it.  A few Nature's Path, but many of theirs are still high in sugar.

Lunchmeats are generally loaded with sodium, and made using nitrates, which are hard on the heart.  I'd try roasting your own turkey, for example, and slicing it thin for sandwiches.  Then you know exactly what's in it!  You should always know exactly what's in your foods, and be able to pronounce those ingredients.

Ditch the chips, too.  I do occasionally get chips, but it's very rare.  Just because they're natural doesn't make them healthy.  You can make your own using different veggies and oven roasting them.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

teracheri
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM

If it has more than 3 ingredients on the label, avoid it. If you can't pronounce or don't know what an ingredient is, avoid it. Also, eating 5 smaller meals a day rather than the 3 large meals people traditionally eat, can be good if they are the right foods and portions. Cut out the soda completely. Avoid sugar. Eat 100% whole grain pastas, breads, etc. Brown rice. That is basically the gist of  "clean eating" which is not eating processed foods. But I would suggest making this a life style change and not just a temporary diet. A temporary diet may help you to lose the extra 5 lbs, but it'll just come back as soon as you stop. Also, drink  LOTS of water! Google clean eating and you will find a ton of helpful resources if you want to learn more about it in detail.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN