Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Clean Eating!

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 22 Replies

Are any of you clean eaters, trying to be, or curious about it? I have been trying to make the change. And I just want to see how many of you are on the same page.

Also... If you are eating clean or trying to, I would LOVE some new recipes to try out. :)

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I've lost my weight eating clean!  LOOOOOVE it!!

Check out cleaneatingmag.com, eatingcleanrecipes.com and thegraciouspantry.com.  Any books by Tosca Reno are good, and I subscribe to Clean Eating magazine to get new recipes each week.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

luvmygirls21
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

i just became vegitarian like a month ago (i have dreams about chicken wings lol) but its nice i drink more water and no soda less sugar and alot more fruit and veggies trying to loose wieght. do u like tofu?

eema.gray
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I eat paleo/primal, so a little more hard core than "clean" but in the same neighborhood.

If you're fairly comfortable in the kitchen, it's not terribly difficult to tweak any old recipe you find into a "clean" one.  :-)  For example, putting homemade pasta sauces over sauted greens, a baked potato, on top of cracked wheat or another less processed grain instead of using pasta.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I've done a lot of tweaking of old recipes as I've become more comfortable with eating clean.  I think it takes getting more comfortable with the principles and how to make those changes, which comes with time, and getting used to what to look for.  As you get to know what ingredients to use and what types of things you like, you'll figure out those tweaks that you can use to adjust old recipes.

Quoting eema.gray:

I eat paleo/primal, so a little more hard core than "clean" but in the same neighborhood.

If you're fairly comfortable in the kitchen, it's not terribly difficult to tweak any old recipe you find into a "clean" one.  :-)  For example, putting homemade pasta sauces over sauted greens, a baked potato, on top of cracked wheat or another less processed grain instead of using pasta.

Suzanne

eema.gray
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I have a really bad habit of assuming most people are reasonably comfortable in the kitchen.  :-(  Tends to bite me in the backside and of course, you are completely right. 

Quoting musicpisces:

I've done a lot of tweaking of old recipes as I've become more comfortable with eating clean.  I think it takes getting more comfortable with the principles and how to make those changes, which comes with time, and getting used to what to look for.  As you get to know what ingredients to use and what types of things you like, you'll figure out those tweaks that you can use to adjust old recipes.

Quoting eema.gray:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I do know what you mean- I grew up cooking.  But even still I relied on things like packets of taco seasoning instead of making my own, lunchmeats, and things like that that never crossed my mind as possibly being unhealthy.  It takes a lot of label reading to learn what's unhealthy!  =)

Quoting eema.gray:

I have a really bad habit of assuming most people are reasonably comfortable in the kitchen.  :-(  Tends to bite me in the backside and of course, you are completely right. 

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting eema.gray:

Suzanne

BlessedBeX3
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I haven't had junk food in a verry long time. sodas are once in a blue moon and i can never finish it, never eat meat just veggies and the occasional fish

teracheri
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I have checked out all those sites and they are great motivation for me! It is just hard to stick to it when I have sugar and ice cream and pizza calling my name all the time. haha.

Quoting musicpisces:

I've lost my weight eating clean!  LOOOOOVE it!!

Check out cleaneatingmag.com, eatingcleanrecipes.com and thegraciouspantry.com.  Any books by Tosca Reno are good, and I subscribe to Clean Eating magazine to get new recipes each week.

teracheri
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I am not sure I have ever tried tofu, but there is no way I can ever give up chicken. Any other meat, I could care less, but I LOVE chicken too much. haha. How do you stick with it without giving in to cravings?

Quoting luvmygirls21:

i just became vegitarian like a month ago (i have dreams about chicken wings lol) but its nice i drink more water and no soda less sugar and alot more fruit and veggies trying to loose wieght. do u like tofu?

teracheri
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I'm not SUPER comfortable in the kitchen, but I am trying! :) I know I can replace sugar with honey for sweeteners, and things like that, but for a recipe that calls for something like campbells soup I have no idea how to make that clean. I have switched to 100% whole wheat pasta and brown rice though. I am really looking for ways to make veggies taste good. Haha. I have never liked veggies, but I want to! It would make the transition so much easier.

Quoting eema.gray:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)