Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Does anyone not like lifting weights in public?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:11 AM
  • 8 Replies
Today I went to the apartment gym to lift some weights ;this was at midnight). I saw this guy in there lifting weights so I turned around and went home for about 8 min and then went back. He was gone so I was okay. I'm just starting to lift weights so I feel pretty self conscious when I do it. Maybe if I joined a gym and had a personal trainer help me out a bit I would feel more confident....
Does anyone else feel like me?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
amanda_n_e
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:12 AM
I'm the same way. I do my strength training at home and then I go to the gym to run
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Yep, I'm the same way!

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I use to... But not so much anymore... I have goals and I need to just get my liftiging in. I do go over things before I go to the gym with my husband about my workouts. Ohhh and I always pick a corner and lift so I am away from people.

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I did at first until I got used to it. Our weights area is usually pretty packed, and it's usually like 10-20 guys and 1-3 females.

MamaJessx3
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM
No, but I do it at crossfit where there are tons of people. I'm use to having a coach stand right in front of me and critiquing me on my form. I actually like that because it helps me get better so much faster!
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I grew up in the gym (my mom taught aerobics and was a fitness model in her younger days), so I've always felt comfortable in the gym.  But I know that's rare.  Plus, I can out-do most of the guys there!  I definitely have more toned definition than many of them!

But I know that A LOT of women feel that way.  That's part of why Curves is so successful.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

ballerina.2006
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:55 AM
I felt like that at one point. I'm a crossfitter so lifting weights around others is natural now :) I prefer the crowd now vs avoiding weights like I used to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this
At one point way way back but not at all now. At CrossFit you kind of get over
That feeling in 2 seconds. Now I want to see how much more I can lift than a man lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)