Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Clean eaters...i got questions

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:40 AM
  • 5 Replies
I have a couple questions. I am trying to get to a completely clean diet!

-Is venison considered clean?
-What sweeteners do you use? (stevis, sucanat??)
-what are some "staple" foods you have for clean eating?
-what is the most difficult thing about clean eating?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Silvertears1275
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:44 AM

I believe venison is clean... most meats are, unless you're talking about processed meats like deli meat.  Obviously, eating grass fed and organic meat is going to be best, but I know for me that can be tricky to find.

I only use honey.  Some people use stevia. 

Staple foods... hmmm...  we always have sweet potato, zucchini, onion, cauliflower, broccoli.... tons of veggies.  =)

The most difficult thing for me is the prep and the fact that I don't really enjoy cooking.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:04 AM

-Is venison considered clean? Yes. It is a lean protein... 
-What sweeteners do you use? (stevis, sucanat??)None really... I will use organic local honey on occasion, but it is very rare.
-what are some "staple" foods you have for clean eating?Baby carrots, spinach, spring mix, cucumbers, lean chicken, ground turkey, almond milk for the kids, greek yogurt, tons of fruit
-what is the most difficult thing about clean eating?Certain things are just processed- breads ( can I make my own? Yep, sometimes I don't have time), cereals are processed which I use on yogurt sometimes....things like that...

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

eema.gray
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Venison - I consider all game meats inherently cleaner than most supermarket beef because of the animal's lifestyle.  Keep in mind that there is starting to be a little farmed venison, that is fed a lot more grain than what deer naturally eat in the wild.  So, as always, you want to be sure of your source.  I hunt pronghorn in the fall and buy venison, elk, bison, lamb, and goat to make up the difference.

I don't use sweeteners myself, apart from a tiny amount of date sugar.  Everything else, even raw honey, gives me heart burn, makes me feel dehydrated, and throws off my blood sugars for days.  My husband uses honey and turbinado sugar for his tea and other drinks.

Staples - good quality red meats, chicken, and fish, organ meats, eggs, veggies, fats (butter, tallow/suet, olive oil primarily), fermented foods (I have hom cured cabbage, and parsnips this year) and bone broth.  I save bones obessively and always have a pot on the back of the stove full of bones and water.

Hardest thing - restaurant eating.  It's near to impossible to eat clean, eating out.  There are a few things at my favorite places that I am sure are okay, for me, so we just don't eat out very much now.  Better for the pocketbook too.  :-)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Venison is considered clean.  Very versatile, too!

For sweeteners, I try to keep them to a minimum, but I use 100% maple syrup, honey, or sucanat.  I can't stand stevia.  Every great once in awhile, I'll use Splenda, but that's rare (and not considered clean).

Staples- I have a ton.  I get a lot of dry beans, cook them in large batches, then freeze them in 8 oz and 16 oz servings (using Zip Locks).  All kind of fruits and veggies, depending on the season (always have salad mix- I love Organic Girl Super Greens).  Chicken breasts, ground turkey, grass-fed ground beef, butter, Ezekiel bread, brown rice, soy and almond milks, lactose-free milk (DS and I are lactose-intolerant), Greek yogurt, Kashi Go Lean cereals, cheese, sweet potatoes (I bake them a few at a time and eat them throughout the week), eggs (I buy at least 2 dz a a time, boil one up, and eat throughout the week)... trying to think what else.

The most difficult thing- eating away from home, time (though I've found my own tricks and staple recipes, and I've always cooked from scratch anyway).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

coachbrittanyk
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Venison is clean. It actually is better "clean wise" than beef or even store bought chicken if you mean wild game you hunted. I use no sweeteners, however my husband does and he uses different ones for different uses. We have organic honey, stevia for cooking, and in his coffee he uses organic sugar. Some of my staple food (yeah the first one isn't a food persay) are organic Apple cider vinegar (with the mother) I drink Shakeology from Beachbody, and oh my do we eat a lot of eggs. Lots of spinach or kale. I also eat NO grains whatsoever. The most difficult thing for me is you have to be prepared. I keep dark unsweetened chocolate around to curb my chocolate craving when they happen, and you need to plan meals, cause you will do what is easiest some days, and if you didn't already have a plan, it normally isn't the healthiest that is the easiest. Failure to plan, it planning to fail.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN