Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Emotional Eating

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 9 Replies

Emotional eating is a new obstacle of mine. My boys have turned 1 and since they were born I've lost 52 pounds. Now I'm working on the other 53 pounds I want to lose. I've become more aware of my eating habits and can't believe how a particular situation or something has me reaching for chips or something sweet. I'm trying healthier alternatives anywhere from fruit to even chewing game. It's so tough though...I have a major sweet tooth. I did make one good life change, on Sunday it'll be 2 wks since I've had a Diet Pepsi, I'm so proud of myself and I've been sticking to water which I mix with propel or crystal lite.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
clearlyme
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I am with you. I am a major emotional eater and that is what keeps me from being as successful as I could be. I started drinking juice plus shakes and they are packed with nutrients. (not promoting, just saying it has helped me) I find since doing this, I haven't been such a slave to my cravings. Also, exercising has helped a lot. It gets the stress out. Maybe, next time you want to reach for the junk, you can find something else to do to distract yourself. Maybe read, journal, music, tv show. I've gotten a lot better about not reaching for food, but it isn't easy. 

mem82
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I get something healthy that takes a bit of chewing like an apple or grapes.

LDavis33
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I'm an emotional eater too.  It's almost ingrained in me to pig out in the evening after my little guy has gone to bed.  I find it very hard to stop from eating, so I try to drink herbal tea and plenty of water.  If I do go for a snack, I try popcorn, yoghurt or fruit.  It's hard to retrain your brain so try to stay positive. Try distracting yourself from food by doing something with your hands, like playing a board game.  Brush your teeth when you have a craving.  Or, do what I do, and head to bed early.  I sometimes crawl into bed at 9:00 even if I'm not tired because I know I won't go downstairs and get a snack once I am comfy in my own bed.

Good job cutting out the pop, it'll go a long way.  I cut out pop about a month ago so I know just how hard it is.

Good luck.

katinahat
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not an emotional eater, but I am a bored one. What I do is that I just don't buy junk food. I try not to keep any chips, cookies, ice cream, etc. in the house. That way, when I'm bored and go to eat something, I either have to cook something or eat a healthier snack.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

BambiEyes26
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Thank you ladies for the ideas and support. I think I gotta get hooked on carrots for that wanting something crunchy craving. I crave ice cream and chips. Before kids, I would go to bed early to fight cravings or even when it was just my daughter. Divorce process, online school, and 3 kiddos has been an interesting to balance along with my professional and healthier eating goals. I just gotta stay positive and think about the future :) Thanks again ladies, I very much appreciate it.

jendawn1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM
TRy almonds fot crunch and dark chocolate for sweet. In moderation though . Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Alwaysmotivated
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Don't Doooooooooooo It.. :) Thats our downfall, I know, its horrible.. I'm just sitting here chatting to myself (why the hell is dieting so hard) I can go good for maybe max three days but then I fall right back into snacking.. Whew, this is so hard and I am only looking to loose between 15-20 lbs, but I can't see the start of 1 lb grrrrrrr.  Don't do it.. I went outside today, nice sunny day and I said, Darn I need to work on my sexy, lol.. USE that same motivation of the Diet Pepsi to not reach for the other stuff, tough but we can do it..

Diamondblue1
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Congrats. I'm having the same problem. I just had my baby 3 1/2 months ago and due to ppd i'm eating like crazy. I'm up to 330 or probably more. This is the biggest i've ever been and need to lose weight but i have a sweet tooh badly. I don't drink sodas at all but a lot of juice containing sugar is no different.
3ofheartsmore
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

good job on the 52 & good luck on the rest.  I feel like i have been dieting since my youngest (who is now 15) was 2.  I am a mindless eater as well as emotional.  It is really something when you start to pay attention to what triggers you to eat.  If you lost 52 you can do it!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)