Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

New here! :D

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM
  • 23 Replies

Hello my name is Krystal and I am 23 and I have 3 wonderful kiddos! Well I did weigh 220 recently but now I am about 210-213 (always goes up and down) and I have been this weight for a month now. I started only drinking water unless we go out for dinner which is only once or twice a month. My So and I have been eating as healthy as possible. Any tips to get past this plateau? I currently walk 1 mile or more daily and about once a month we walk 10+ miles. I haven't ever been a runner and when I do try to run my asthma acts up pretty bad. Any tips on working up to running? I want to be able to run a mile at least. Thanks ladies for reading and the help!

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Welcome, Krystal!

Can you give us a sample of what a day's food looks like for you?  Include your portion sizes, because that matters!

For running, I'd recommend checking out Couch to 5K.  I started running when I got down to 250 lbs, and I was so out of shape, cardiovascular-wise, that even that was too fast for me, so I did my own version.  I would run a block, walk a block, in a loop around my neighborhood that took me about 30 minutes (at the time, 1.7 miles).  Then I upped it to running 2, walking 1.  Then running 3, walking 1.  Once I was able to run the whole thing (or close to it), I started adding distance, following the 10% rule, and keeping short walking intervals.  Now I'm a distance runner!

Do you have a rescue inhaler (usually albuterol)?  Keep it with you in case of an acute attack, and keep your cell phone with you.  Go slow- it's not about going crazy fast, but just about getting used to running some right now.  You don't have to get your heart pounding right away- pacing yourself is really important.

Good luck!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

krystaldawn_21
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Ok well when I wake up I usually have two slices of peanut butter toast on whole wheat bread. For lunch I eat chicken and rice. We eat the brown rice. For dinner its usually more chicken but with broccoli or some other veggie. For snacks I will eat apples with peanut butter or have a small salad with just lettuce and a little cheese on it. All of my meals are pretty small because, even though I'm overweight, I just tend to not eat a lot. I drink so much water that I get full on water. I know I should eat about 1,200 calories but I don't know what to add that is good calories. Also it has taken me a while to get to eating any veggies. Just last year at this time I wouldn't eat any veggie except broccoli but now I eat others. I can't eat belle peppers though. They make me sick for some reason. :/

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome, Krystal!

Can you give us a sample of what a day's food looks like for you?  Include your portion sizes, because that matters!

For running, I'd recommend checking out Couch to 5K.  I started running when I got down to 250 lbs, and I was so out of shape, cardiovascular-wise, that even that was too fast for me, so I did my own version.  I would run a block, walk a block, in a loop around my neighborhood that took me about 30 minutes (at the time, 1.7 miles).  Then I upped it to running 2, walking 1.  Then running 3, walking 1.  Once I was able to run the whole thing (or close to it), I started adding distance, following the 10% rule, and keeping short walking intervals.  Now I'm a distance runner!

Do you have a rescue inhaler (usually albuterol)?  Keep it with you in case of an acute attack, and keep your cell phone with you.  Go slow- it's not about going crazy fast, but just about getting used to running some right now.  You don't have to get your heart pounding right away- pacing yourself is really important.

Good luck!!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM

You're not eating nearly enough, which will absolutely make you plateau.  Even 1200 calories isn't enough at your weight.  If you'll give me your height, current weight, age, and how much you exercise, I can help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day.  Have you considered logging your food on a site like MyFitnessPal.com?  Then you can really see what you're eating.  You'll need to measure your portions- things like peanut butter add up really fast.  2 TBSP=200 calories!  But the fats are healthy fats, so a serving like that a day is all good, but be careful.  Also make sure that the only ingredients are peanuts and maybe sea salt- you should have to stir it.  Many are made with palm oil and/or sugar, so be careful.  I sometimes do a slice of whole wheat toast with PB and a sliced up banana on top.  It's super tasty, and quite filling!

There are lots of non-bell pepper veggies out there!  Don't forget about things like homemade soups, spaghetti sauce, and things like that- it doesn't have to be all steamed veggies and salads.  Roasting veggies is a great option, same with grilling, sauteing or stir-frying.  I would encourage you to buy a food scale and log your food for awhile to see what you're really eating (and remember to weight foods BEFORE they're cooked, not after).  I don't do it daily, but I go through periods of logging to check in with myself and make sure I'm eating the right amount.  Some people do it every day.  Do what feels good to you.

Add some things like cherry tomatoes and sunflower seeds to your salads.  Or chopped carrots or celery, and even some kidney or garbanzo beans!  I love adding a sliced hard boiled egg to mine, too!

Quoting krystaldawn_21:

Ok well when I wake up I usually have two slices of peanut butter toast on whole wheat bread. For lunch I eat chicken and rice. We eat the brown rice. For dinner its usually more chicken but with broccoli or some other veggie. For snacks I will eat apples with peanut butter or have a small salad with just lettuce and a little cheese on it. All of my meals are pretty small because, even though I'm overweight, I just tend to not eat a lot. I drink so much water that I get full on water. I know I should eat about 1,200 calories but I don't know what to add that is good calories. Also it has taken me a while to get to eating any veggies. Just last year at this time I wouldn't eat any veggie except broccoli but now I eat others. I can't eat belle peppers though. They make me sick for some reason. :/

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome, Krystal!

Good luck!!

Suzanne

indymom72
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Welcome to the group!!  These ladies are wonderful and always supportive!  My two cents is that you don't have to run to be fit.  Now if you WANT to run..then you go girl...but my old bones can't take it. :)  I have back issues so I have to be careful.  I do low impact cardio at high resistance and it works great for me.  Start slow and work your way up to doing more.  I agree with musicpisces...it doesn't sound like you eat enough.  I LOVE myfitnesspal, and use it every day.  When i had to start tracking what I ate it made me much more accountable.  You can look me up on there if you want, indymom72, and we can help each other!! :)

krystaldawn_21
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I am 213 pds, 5'4", and I am 23. I go for a walk daily and I walk a mile sometimes 2. There are days were I walk more miles too though. For sure once a month I walk 10+ miles. I did start logging my food for a while and but I just stopped. The whole time I did it it kept telling me I wasn't eating enough and that I exercised more then I ate. I was also doing Zumba at that time. I went through an anorexic stage when I was younger and me and my SO had a heart to heart talk last night and I told him about it and told him it is so tempting to do again because I lost so much weight quickly. I told him I want to lose the weight in a healthy way though but my biggest problem is eating enough. I hardly feel hungry. I can go hours without eating after I wake up. When I realize I haven't eaten I usually make myself eat. Its so frustrating to have to deal with this.

Quoting musicpisces:

You're not eating nearly enough, which will absolutely make you plateau.  Even 1200 calories isn't enough at your weight.  If you'll give me your height, current weight, age, and how much you exercise, I can help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day.  Have you considered logging your food on a site like MyFitnessPal.com?  Then you can really see what you're eating.  You'll need to measure your portions- things like peanut butter add up really fast.  2 TBSP=200 calories!  But the fats are healthy fats, so a serving like that a day is all good, but be careful.  Also make sure that the only ingredients are peanuts and maybe sea salt- you should have to stir it.  Many are made with palm oil and/or sugar, so be careful.  I sometimes do a slice of whole wheat toast with PB and a sliced up banana on top.  It's super tasty, and quite filling!

There are lots of non-bell pepper veggies out there!  Don't forget about things like homemade soups, spaghetti sauce, and things like that- it doesn't have to be all steamed veggies and salads.  Roasting veggies is a great option, same with grilling, sauteing or stir-frying.  I would encourage you to buy a food scale and log your food for awhile to see what you're really eating (and remember to weight foods BEFORE they're cooked, not after).  I don't do it daily, but I go through periods of logging to check in with myself and make sure I'm eating the right amount.  Some people do it every day.  Do what feels good to you.

Add some things like cherry tomatoes and sunflower seeds to your salads.  Or chopped carrots or celery, and even some kidney or garbanzo beans!  I love adding a sliced hard boiled egg to mine, too!

Quoting krystaldawn_21:

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome, Krystal!

Good luck!!

krystaldawn_21
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Yea I want to run a mile. Ever since I was younger I have never been able to run. My asthma acts up and I feel like I'm dying. I actually need to get an inhaler because I haven't had one in years. I always avoided doing anything that would make my asthma act up. If I have a panic attack though it acts up. Anyways, I am still seeing what exercises work for me. My SO and I are going to the gym today so I will lift some weights and try out running. Oh another problem I have is gaining too much muscle. From walking so much my calves are huge! I can't wear regular knee high boots at all!! It makes me so sad. I feel too manish. :'(

Quoting indymom72:

Welcome to the group!!  These ladies are wonderful and always supportive!  My two cents is that you don't have to run to be fit.  Now if you WANT to run..then you go girl...but my old bones can't take it. :)  I have back issues so I have to be careful.  I do low impact cardio at high resistance and it works great for me.  Start slow and work your way up to doing more.  I agree with musicpisces...it doesn't sound like you eat enough.  I LOVE myfitnesspal, and use it every day.  When i had to start tracking what I ate it made me much more accountable.  You can look me up on there if you want, indymom72, and we can help each other!! :)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

With a history of anorexia, depending on how long/severe, it can REALLY affect your metabolism for life.  I'll still do your BMR, but I would strongly encourage you to meet with a nutritionist to really evaluate your history and give you goals specific to you.  Your BMR is more generalized. 

BMR: 1774

1774 x 1.375 = 2439

2439 - 500 = 1939

To lose 1-2 lbs per week (healthy weight loss), consume 1774-1939 calories per day.

There's a balance that's needed to lose weight without doing damage to tissues.  When you cut back severely, you catabolize (break down) muscle and organ tissue, including your heart, liver, kidneys, etc, in order to have enough calories in your blood to stay alive.  The damage to your muscles and organs can be permanent, which is why your metabolism may be out of whack.  So while you need a calorie deficit, you also need enough calories to avoid this state, called starvation mode.  Starvation mode also slows your metabolism.  You may already know all this, since it sounds like you're in recovery.

There are members in here who have struggled with EDs, and I know there's at least one group here on CM for people who've dealt with EDs.  I know it can be nice to connect with other mamas who've had similar struggles.

You might need to make yourself eat in the morning.  It's ideal to eat within an hour of waking.  It'll jump start your metabolism, and when you do eat breakfast, you'll have an appetite the rest of the day.

Quoting krystaldawn_21:

I am 213 pds, 5'4", and I am 23. I go for a walk daily and I walk a mile sometimes 2. There are days were I walk more miles too though. For sure once a month I walk 10+ miles. I did start logging my food for a while and but I just stopped. The whole time I did it it kept telling me I wasn't eating enough and that I exercised more then I ate. I was also doing Zumba at that time. I went through an anorexic stage when I was younger and me and my SO had a heart to heart talk last night and I told him about it and told him it is so tempting to do again because I lost so much weight quickly. I told him I want to lose the weight in a healthy way though but my biggest problem is eating enough. I hardly feel hungry. I can go hours without eating after I wake up. When I realize I haven't eaten I usually make myself eat. Its so frustrating to have to deal with this.

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting krystaldawn_21:

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome, Krystal!

Good luck!!

Suzanne

dmwood
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Welcome!

krystaldawn_21
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Thank you!

When I was going through the anorexia it last 3 months. I was able to stop myself because I found a happy spot in my life with how I looked.

What are some foods I should eat to keep up with the calories? I have started making myself eat when I wake up. I try to eat what I can but I usually feel nauseated after eating. Idk what that's about. It happens at most of my meals. I don't eat that much in the morning but like this morning I had two eggs with some cheese and I felt nauseated.

What about exercises? I will be going to the gym tomorrow to swim and lift weights and run/walk. Like I said my bigest problem is gaining so much muslce. Idk why but I tend to gain a lot of muscle and I don't like it.

Quoting musicpisces:

With a history of anorexia, depending on how long/severe, it can REALLY affect your metabolism for life.  I'll still do your BMR, but I would strongly encourage you to meet with a nutritionist to really evaluate your history and give you goals specific to you.  Your BMR is more generalized. 

BMR: 1774

1774 x 1.375 = 2439

2439 - 500 = 1939

To lose 1-2 lbs per week (healthy weight loss), consume 1774-1939 calories per day.

There's a balance that's needed to lose weight without doing damage to tissues.  When you cut back severely, you catabolize (break down) muscle and organ tissue, including your heart, liver, kidneys, etc, in order to have enough calories in your blood to stay alive.  The damage to your muscles and organs can be permanent, which is why your metabolism may be out of whack.  So while you need a calorie deficit, you also need enough calories to avoid this state, called starvation mode.  Starvation mode also slows your metabolism.  You may already know all this, since it sounds like you're in recovery.

There are members in here who have struggled with EDs, and I know there's at least one group here on CM for people who've dealt with EDs.  I know it can be nice to connect with other mamas who've had similar struggles.

You might need to make yourself eat in the morning.  It's ideal to eat within an hour of waking.  It'll jump start your metabolism, and when you do eat breakfast, you'll have an appetite the rest of the day.

Quoting krystaldawn_21:

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting krystaldawn_21:

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome, Krystal!

Good luck!!

krystaldawn_21
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Thank you!

Quoting dmwood:

Welcome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN