Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mood and "Dieting"

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:22 AM
  • 10 Replies

I swear, my mood takes a major dip when I begin the so-called diet. I know the word diet doesn't need to be used and it is basically a healthier lifestyle that evolves with time. It is so frustrating because, I change up what I eat through out the day compared to how I used to eat and I feel absolutely miserable. I know it's not rocket science knowing that I feel happier when I eat a container of ben and jerry's compared to eating something much healthier. It's like, I wake up in the morning and dread the eating aspect of my day. I feel a major shift in my mood and body as well when I change my diet, maybe it gets worse before it gets better? I have no clue, it's something that I've been wrestling with the past few days.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I use to be mean when I dieted... Now it's a habit to make better food choices. I might get hungry but I snack better and I have no regrets over what I am consuming nor do I feel deprived.

BambiEyes26
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I feel like I get mean and feel moody. It's like my body needs to run on sugar for me to be normal, I know that sounds dumb, but it's how I feel sometimes. I wish fruit or something could have the same effects a cupcake or ice cream does for me.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

I use to be mean when I dieted... Now it's a habit to make better food choices. I might get hungry but I snack better and I have no regrets over what I am consuming nor do I feel deprived.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:31 AM

You sound like you need a new approach to eating.  If you dread it every day, it's not likely to stick.  The ONLY way to make permanent changes is to make permanent changes.  You have to change habits to ones you can stick with, and if you dread them, it's not a realistic expectation for yourself.  Food is one of life's pleasures, but it doesn't have to be all salads and chicken breasts.  Make sure you're still eating carbs- cutting back too much on carbs can REALLY kill your mood.

Find a style of eating that really speaks to you.  In my case, it was eating clean (click here for info on that).  Some people like Paleo, others go vegetarian, whatever works for you, but if you dread it, it's time to try something else.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Sugar is quite literally an addictive chemical.  But after a few days or a week, it actually gets easier.  If you cut it out completely, that can be the best route.  I went months with no added sugars, and it was great.  I wish I hadn't let it back in!  LOL  I didn't miss it at all.  The first few days were rough, then it was VERY easy, and I felt amazing.

Quoting BambiEyes26:

I feel like I get mean and feel moody. It's like my body needs to run on sugar for me to be normal, I know that sounds dumb, but it's how I feel sometimes. I wish fruit or something could have the same effects a cupcake or ice cream does for me.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Lesgerm
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:51 AM
I'm the same way. I get super irritable and cranky. When I first started eating healthier it was hard but I did adjust. But once I got down to my goal weight, it's like a switch was flipped and now I'm back to square one. I just can't sustain eating right for some reason. I ate well for six months solid, then kind of had "on" days and "off" days for a few months. Now I just can't get back into a groove. I'm super upset about it. I've gained 15 lbs back :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Yes to finding a way of eating. Haha and also yes to low low carbs msking you evil. Im pretty evil every few days lol

Quoting musicpisces:

You sound like you need a new approach to eating.  If you dread it every day, it's not likely to stick.  The ONLY way to make permanent changes is to make permanent changes.  You have to change habits to ones you can stick with, and if you dread them, it's not a realistic expectation for yourself.  Food is one of life's pleasures, but it doesn't have to be all salads and chicken breasts.  Make sure you're still eating carbs- cutting back too much on carbs can REALLY kill your mood.

Find a style of eating that really speaks to you.  In my case, it was eating clean (click here for info on that).  Some people like Paleo, others go vegetarian, whatever works for you, but if you dread it, it's time to try something else.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM
You may not be eating enoigh fat **for you** regardless of what ypur diet plan says is enough. One of the downfalls of very low fat diets, is depression and mood disturbance. Can happen if you don't eat enoigh carbs but that's a less common problem for most of us.
BambiEyes26
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM

That actually makes sense, maybe I'm not eating enough carbs. I guess when I diet, I tend to focus too much on sources of protein in order to make myself full. This morning, I feel great because I had oatmeal with green apple slices and cranberries...so maybe if I begin adding something like that in my day then it can help with my emotional issues tied to dieting.

Quoting eema.gray:

You may not be eating enoigh fat **for you** regardless of what ypur diet plan says is enough. One of the downfalls of very low fat diets, is depression and mood disturbance. Can happen if you don't eat enoigh carbs but that's a less common problem for most of us.

eema.gray
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I woild use fats to achieve that full feeling. If you're eating veggies, fruits, and some whole grains you are eating plenty of carbs. Add fats to your cooked veggies and salads and eat a few nuts as part of a snack here and there.

Quoting BambiEyes26:

That actually makes sense, maybe I'm not eating enough carbs. I guess when I diet, I tend to focus too much on sources of protein in order to make myself full. This morning, I feel great because I had oatmeal with green apple slices and cranberries...so maybe if I begin adding something like that in my day then it can help with my emotional issues tied to dieting.

Quoting eema.gray:

clearlyme
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a MAJOR sweet tooth and was super cranky for the first month. I starting making myself fill that craving with fruits and treat myself to a small ice cream once a week. (Ben and Jerry's makes the little $1 cups and it is perfect). I also give myself one day not to track and to not pressure myself about what I'm eating. Giving myself that freedom has actually made this a lot easier. I find the OPTION to eat healthy or not, actually steers me towards healthy. I'm not good when I put to much pressure on myself. It's a total mind game that I have to play with myself. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)