Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT- travel tips for Seattle?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM
  • 9 Replies
I have spring break coming up, and the rare combination of time and play money is upon us!! We're definitely due for a break! So we're planning a short family vacation, and right now, Seattle is the front runner. We obviously want to do the Space Needle, and I'd like to get to Mount Rainier. Any other suggestions? I saw there's a children's museum, which we'll probably take our 4 year old to. Any great places to run that you suggest? I'm a big runner!
If you know of any great places to stay, too, that'd be a big help. We're looking at both hotels and vacation rentals.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Cafe MichelleP
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Pike market in Seattle is fun for the kids (say hello to flying fish).The weekends usually have all kinds of great stuff going on. The whole area by the Space Needle during the weekend usually  have things going on too.

Not sure if you have passports or even need them, but a quick day trip to Victoria would be awesome too.

There are so many parks and nature trails there that it should be too difficult to find places to run.

Have a great time.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I live here.

You can't get up to Rainier itself this time of year, the roads are closed. You can get to Crystal Mountain ski area, which is nearby. Make sure your rental vehicle has snow tires and chains in case they are required, and often are.

My must dos would be Pike Place Market, visit the original Starbucks there, the whole Seattle Center area with the Needle and the Pacific Science Center, ride The Duck which is an amphibious vehicle that takes you on a city tour on both land and water, the drivers are a hoot. Go to the International district to eat, and ride the new giant Ferris wheel at the pier too. If you can fit it in, go to a Sounders game if there is a home game while you visit. Seattle may be the only city in America that has fully embraced soccer as a professional sport and the games are so much fun. The place gets packed and the fans are nuts. Take a ferry someplace too, just to say you rode one.

Keep in mind that it will be cheaper for your family to make reservations and eat at the Needle restaraunt than to just ride the elevator up, it's like $30 a person just to go up.
GeoRocks
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM

For Seattle itself. Pikes Market is great. If you do the space needle eat at the restaurant because then you enjoy it and dont have to pay the $17 odd dollars to get in. Children's museum is also fun. All are walkable in distance for adults but it is hilly and for a four year old you may want to take the bus if you wont have a rental car.

If you have time go across to the peninsula and do a day ( or two drive) around the little towns. Poulsbo is a cute little viking type town. If you make the little over hour drive after you get off the ferry to a town called Sequim its worth it! It is beautiful and the "lavender capital of the world."

GeoRocks
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I live here.

You can't get up to Rainier itself this time of year, the roads are closed. You can get to Crystal Mountain ski area, which is nearby. Make sure your rental vehicle has snow tires and chains in case they are required, and often are.

My must dos would be Pike Place Market, visit the original Starbucks there, the whole Seattle Center area with the Needle and the Pacific Science Center, ride The Duck which is an amphibious vehicle that takes you on a city tour on both land and water, the drivers are a hoot. Go to the International district to eat, and ride the new giant Ferris wheel at the pier too. If you can fit it in, go to a Sounders game if there is a home game while you visit. Seattle may be the only city in America that has fully embraced soccer as a professional sport and the games are so much fun. The place gets packed and the fans are nuts. Take a ferry someplace too, just to say you rode one.

Keep in mind that it will be cheaper for your family to make reservations and eat at the Needle restaraunt than to just ride the elevator up, it's like $30 a person just to go up.

Just saw this. Is it really that much now! Either way I agree, eat at the restaurant.

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I'm a little off. It's $19 plus tax, so it ends up being about $21 per person to go up. It's $33 plus tax to go up the Needle and see the Chihuly garden, which is really worth seeing too OP. 

I think the best bet is to get the Seattle Citypass for $75 per person and includes admission to most of the hot tickets in town including the Seattle Center stuff, the Aquarium, and an Argosy cruise for like a 3 day period. I think it includes zoo admission too. 

OH! OP there is a monorail that will take you from downtown to the Seattle Center for $1.50 each way. It's nice because parking downtown can be hard to find and is really expensive, not to mention our traffic is atrocious and getting to/from the Seattle Center to downtown is kind of a nightmare because of construction on Mercer St. and a confusing maze of one-ways from Belltown to downtown.

Quoting GeoRocks:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I live here.

Just saw this. Is it really that much now! Either way I agree, eat at the restaurant.

Mrs.Winchester
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I live in Seattle and I feel like everything has already been mentioned. LOL!  I live here and I don't even know what there is to do here...

You should see the waterfront,  go feed the duck's and visit the restaurants down there.  There is a arcade on the waterfront that is pretty cool.

Tyger88
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Maybe take a day & go to Portland, see the Garden of Roses & there is alot there. Maybe a Train Ride there? Just a suggestion They also have a Great zoo.

Tyger88cat

3cutiebugs
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Woodland park zoo
Pacific science center
Northwest trek
Pike place market
White pass resort if you want a neat mountain

If you get down south,
Oregon zoo in Portland
Omsi in Portland
Great wolf lodge in grand mound

I live near Portland, so I know more places down that way. :)
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:38 AM

We've booked!  I'm so excited!  Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!  We'll be checking that stuff out!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)