Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A little different but...

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM
  • 7 Replies
How to gain weight healthy? I came to this group because you ladies seem to have and find a lot of nutrition information.
Ds is 13 months. At 6 months he was in the 90% for height and the 95% for weight.
Between now and then he has lost a pound and has not grown at all. He is about 28% for both height and weight. Developmentaly he is on track so my Dr. Isn't calling it FTF just yet. She is giving him a month and if there is no progress we will need to talk about running some tests.
He he eats 3 meals a day 2 snacks he breast feeds before bed and drinks milk the rest of the time 3 6oz cups a day.
If something is wrong obviously I want to know. I also want him to grow and gain.
So how can I help him to grow? Without feeding him crap all day? Any suggestions?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
CLEKate
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM

What is he eating at meals and snacks?

ALWsMomma
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Snacks are crackers and cheese or fruit and yogurt
Breakfast is always eggs a fruit and toast
Lunch is usually a protein, a grain and a vegetable and or/ fruit
Dinner is usually meat and potatoes or pasta and a vegetable
Tonight he ate a cup of black bean soup some crackers and a fruit salad

Quoting CLEKate:

What is he eating at meals and snacks?

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Maybe making him healthy smoothies, with things like plain Greek yogurt and fresh or frozen fruit (no protein powder without MD approval)?  Or making your own juice with fruits and veggies?  Liquid calories tend to not make you very full, so that might be a good way to get in healthy calories without filling him up too much.  I'd also up his healthy fats- with his breakfast, put PB on the toast instead of butter, have him try some salmon, add some chia seeds to some water or in something else, etc.  Make sure he's getting enough protein and healthy fat.  Good luck, mama!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

ALWsMomma
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Some good ideas! Thanks

Quoting musicpisces:

Maybe making him healthy smoothies, with things like plain Greek yogurt and fresh or frozen fruit (no protein powder without MD approval)?  Or making your own juice with fruits and veggies?  Liquid calories tend to not make you very full, so that might be a good way to get in healthy calories without filling him up too much.  I'd also up his healthy fats- with his breakfast, put PB on the toast instead of butter, have him try some salmon, add some chia seeds to some water or in something else, etc.  Make sure he's getting enough protein and healthy fat.  Good luck, mama!

wahmx3
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Definitely healthy fats....peanut butter would help, more grains, full fat everything....3 6oz cups of milk doesn't sound like a lot of milk for that age, I would try and increase that a bit. Is he still on baby cereal? Try adding dry baby cereal to applesauce and yogurt...it will add calories but also nutrition. Bananas for fruit since they are higher in calories would also be good. Does he like ice cream? cheese? milkshakes? What about formula? Were you only bfeeding before milk? If you were using some formula...try adding some to his milk (just dry powder) to add calories.

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Great ideas

Quoting musicpisces:

eema.gray
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:09 PM
It is almost a given that nursing babies who gain rapidly will either slow dramatically or not grow at all between six months and a year. My son weighed 22 lbs at six months. At a year, he still weighed 22 lbs. He was close to four by the time he doubled again and is tall and slender now at five and a half. I wouldn't worry too much about weight right now and just keep an eye on his development. His brain has reached a size it will maintain for a few years and is now busy developing density. His ability to communicate should explode, he should become more physically capable, and he will, by age 2, slowly start to be able to identify emotions and develop empathy and the ability to feel sympathy. It's a very exciting age to parent but can be frustrating for your child when they're understanding and goal setting develops faster than their ability to communicate.

In short, for the nursed baby, weight is much less of a concern at this point than development.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)