Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Possibly complicated question :)

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 9 Replies
Hi! My hubby and I are looking to make a life style change. He wants to do the paleo diet where I'm not interested (I can't give up my coffee creamer, salad dressing, etc). So we are thinking of cutting all "carbs" as in breads, cereals cookies cakes etc and basically doing a protein/fruit/veggie diet. What do you think of that? I know carb free diets were the fad like, ql years ago but all the research I've done really point to carbs being no good. I know the Atkins was very unhealthy with the "eat as many fats as much as you want" mentality, but that's not what we are going after......we are looking to cut the crap and increase the fruits veggies and lean meats. Thoughts or suggestions?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
cherylmoore
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I did not eliminate carbs altogether but I keep it low. I have some medical issues so I got my plan approved by my dr. Whatever your total calorie intake is for the day, net carbs should stay under 10% of that number. Net carbs is carb minus fiber. So I eat 1450 calories a day. No more than 145 net carbs
AMDS0304
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I count calories only sorry I'm no help. I was talking to a friend and she told me her son cut out all bread and he's lost 25lbs or more.. It's hard for me to cut bread I love subway to much lol..

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

A protein/fruit/veggie diet *is* technically Paleo. 

Eating cleanly is eating lean proteins, whole grains, produce and dairy, but making it from scratch and avoiding processed foods. 

Atkins is not "unhealty" per se due to eating a lot of fats as they are very good for you... Atkins cuts the good carbs that are in fruits and veggies, which is why it is not that great. 

If you truly want to change your lifetsyle, you should attempt to give up the creamer and dressings at least as they are highly processed and very bad for you. Dressings are very easy to make and you can always use half n half in place of the flavored creamers as it is a much healthier option. 

Personally, I drink my coffee black now. I ditched the creamer several years ago, switched from sugar to splenda and then ditched the splenda. IF you are going to use the processed dressings and such, I would suggest that you get a food scale and measure them out so you know how much you are using.

There are many Paleo moms as well as Clean moms in the group, so ask any questions you might have and we will answer! 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Crissy2424
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Sounds good. I try to cut bread, but find it hard. I do eat Split Top Wheat bread instead of bleached White bread.

Silvertears1275
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I eat a mostly Paleo/Primal diet.  I really enjoy it.  A lot of paleo people tend to follow an 80/20 kind of philosophy... eat paleo 80% of the time, 20% eat what you want.  I did a lot of reading on it (still am, actually) and I suggest reading "It Starts With Food" and "Primal Blueprint" if you want  to know all the background on why you would want to eat this way. 

And fat isn't evil.  You don't want to go overboard because it's high calorie, and there are types you want to avoid, but fat is a huge component of Paleo.  The big difference between Paleo and Atkins is that Atkins cuts out certain fruits and veggies due to their carb content and Paleo does not -  and that Paleo puts a lot of emphasis on the quality of your food.

ms-superwoman
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
A no carb diet is a fad. Start removing bad things from your diet (soda, juice, packaged foods) and add healthy things (water, fruit, veggies). When you go shopping, shop the perimeter; avoid the isles because that is where the packaged food is. Last workout. Exercise can prevent a lot of things. As well as give you more energy, etc...
eema.gray
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Fat is not bad and the steric acid in many saturated fats is good for your heart and brain. You cannot go low carb and low fat, you will destroy your kidneys. So if you're going to cut processed carbs, you will need to make up the calorie difference with fat.

I'm somewhere on the traditional/ paleo spectrum, I follow a lot of weston a price foundation points in addtion to paleo/primal.
MiMi.
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:08 PM
I didn't mean low carb and low fat. I'm eating nuts and avacados and beef. I read that the Atkins diet was unhealthy because it basically told people it was ok to eat tons and tons of fat, as long as you didn't eat carbs.

I have cut out all processed foods except my coffee creamer and salad dressing, I won't budge on those ;)

Quoting eema.gray:

Fat is not bad and the steric acid in many saturated fats is good for your heart and brain. You cannot go low carb and low fat, you will destroy your kidneys. So if you're going to cut processed carbs, you will need to make up the calorie difference with fat.

I'm somewhere on the traditional/ paleo spectrum, I follow a lot of weston a price foundation points in addtion to paleo/primal.
roxysmommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I eat tons and tons of fat eating a Primal diet.  The difference is that I eat tons of good fats and don't consume any seed/veg oils. My fats come from animals, butter, ghee (clarified butter), coconut oils and olive oil, as well as things like avocados. I eat very low carb and am always satisfied. Eating (healthy) fat doesn't make you fat. Excess carbs make you fat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)