Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Topamax for weight loss?????

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • 3 Replies

Hello all I am new to this group and I have a few questions. I have all ways been over weight since I was little, and now after having three kids back to back I am tipping the scale at 240lbs. I have been trying to loose weight for years now, and the most I have ever lost on my own was 20lbs. I have tried Hydroxycut, SlimFast and Special K, but nothing was working. So my doctor sent me to a weight management doctor. She had me try to diet on my own, having me follow a strict diet but nothing, I keep eating fatty snakes and over indulging in foods that I love. So she wasn't me to try medication. So starting on Monday I start Topamax and from what I have read all lot of people have great weight loss with this pill. Has anyone on this group have tried this or know of someone who has tried this medication. I know it is used for Migraines and Epilepsy but one of the biggest side effects is weight loss.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
cherylmoore
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I started on topamax about 4 years ago for migraines. Did not stay on it long enough to know if it helps with migraines let alone weight loss. I was so jittery all day I told my dr after a week and a half that I was done
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Topamax didn't help me until I was put on Prozac for depression. The combo helps me to control my appetite.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lhiannan
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this

I was on topomax for migraines, and it made my anxiety so severe that I couldn't function AT ALL.  I would have panic attacks for no reason, doing stupid things like doing the dishes.  i couldn't even drive to the store.  Here is a link to see the side effects:  http://www.rxlist.com/topamax-drug.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)