• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Motivation

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM
  • 4 Replies

I lack it. I want it! How do I get motivated and stay there? I'll get motivated for a week to two weeks, working out about 4 days a week. And then it stops. Usually it's because something happens, like a sick kid, too many errands that day, myself not feeling well. Any number of things. Then it just slips away, and I end up not working out for a few weeks. And I really want  to get serious and tone up. I get so disgusted with myself. Even when I weighed  lbs less than I do now, I was never happy. I just don't know how to get happy, motivated, and stay there. Please give me some advice!

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Motivation is something YOU have to find.  You could start with making little goals that you can reach easily and feel good about so you can and want to keep going then build on them

When I started this - I had decided it was time and I joined Sparkpeople.  Then nothing for a week or two. Then I got up one day and decided I WAS goint to make this happen and make it stick this time and that NOTHING was going to stop me- so, I made a goal of working out 15 min or more a day EVERY day.  I kept track with sparkpeople and the more days I did it -the better I felt about it. After a couple weeks, I made my goal 30min... and joined this group and made the goal to drink 1 bottle of plain water a day and so on.  It's been a year, and I have lost 48lbs (hopefully 50 now-I haven't weighed for almost a week) and I work out 5-6 days a week for 1-2 hours and I drink 3 bottles or so of water a day now.  The little goals I made, helped me keep going in the beginning and I change them up as I go

You can do this, but YOU have to decide you want it bad enough :)

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM

For me it's pictures... I take a ton of pictures to see where I've been and it makes me not slip up. Also several FB pages I like post inspiration pictures/stories that keep me excited to want to workout to get where I want to go. Ripped Goddess is my favorite. But you really have to figure out your WHY before you can really understand your HOW... Meaning why do you want to workout or eat better... Once you concretely believe in your goals and reasons you can better figure out your plan and how to do it/stick with it.

Yuriko_chan
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:37 AM

That's great advice! Thank you!!

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Motivation is something YOU have to find.  You could start with making little goals that you can reach easily and feel good about so you can and want to keep going then build on them

When I started this - I had decided it was time and I joined Sparkpeople.  Then nothing for a week or two. Then I got up one day and decided I WAS goint to make this happen and make it stick this time and that NOTHING was going to stop me- so, I made a goal of working out 15 min or more a day EVERY day.  I kept track with sparkpeople and the more days I did it -the better I felt about it. After a couple weeks, I made my goal 30min... and joined this group and made the goal to drink 1 bottle of plain water a day and so on.  It's been a year, and I have lost 48lbs (hopefully 50 now-I haven't weighed for almost a week) and I work out 5-6 days a week for 1-2 hours and I drink 3 bottles or so of water a day now.  The little goals I made, helped me keep going in the beginning and I change them up as I go

You can do this, but YOU have to decide you want it bad enough :)

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Yuriko_chan
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I want to tone up and look good for my husband. But the thing of it is, I have no idea even where to start.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

For me it's pictures... I take a ton of pictures to see where I've been and it makes me not slip up. Also several FB pages I like post inspiration pictures/stories that keep me excited to want to workout to get where I want to go. Ripped Goddess is my favorite. But you really have to figure out your WHY before you can really understand your HOW... Meaning why do you want to workout or eat better... Once you concretely believe in your goals and reasons you can better figure out your plan and how to do it/stick with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)