Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Fad Diet Frustration

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM
  • 12 Replies
I am trying to do things the right way, increasing activity, working out, drinking more water, eating better, cooking better for my family, etc. I have been going to the gym every day and one of my neighbors has been coming with me and she is OBSESSED with the HCG diet and something about cayanne (sp?) pepper, its driving me nuts! I have explained to her my reservations about it, that I think eating only 500 calories a day is insane and unhealthy, and she is cutting out major food items and if she wants to cut those things out fine, but I don't think it will last long term so its kind of a trap she is setting for herself. But hey, not my body, not my problem. Except for the fact that she talks about her diet and her shots and tries to convince me that its an awesome diet every day while we are driving to the gym. I try to block it out but omg its so frustrating knowing she is reaking havoc on her body and then trying to convince me to do it! Then the other day I was talking to my sister (she is in the military and not by any means overweight right now) and she was saying that she was waiting on her herbalife box to come in the mail and how she is going to replace two meals a day with the shakes and all this other stuff and again, I explained my reservations with the diet but told her to just be sure to take her vitamins. I know Fad Diets are all over the place and every one and their cousin has tried one at one point and maybe its just because I am trying to get healthier so I notice it more? idk. How do you handle loved ones trying to convince you that their Fad Diet is healthy and isn't as bad as you think? Has anyone dealt with this before or am I just weird for noticing it?
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALWsMomma
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:13 PM
My sil sells something and is always trying to get Dh and I to start it. I just smile and say 'No Thanks'
It is annoying. She went so far as to offer to buy the first month for us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Amber5151
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Quoting ALWsMomma:

My sil sells something and is always trying to get Dh and I to start it. I just smile and say 'No Thanks'

That is very forward of her!
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:19 PM
3 moms liked this
Dude, I totally hear you! I have talked til I'm blue in the face to friends and family. I finally kind of gave up. You can only lead a horse to water, kwim?

I keep seeing it pop up in here, too. And I really don't give a flying rat's patootie if it's "all natural"...there is nothing natural about cutting out food groups, cutting calories to almost nothing, or living on shakes! (Sorry for the tangent...just getting fed up seeing all the excuses and want for quick fixes)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ALWsMomma
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Right?!?! She sells the stuff and really believes in the stuff. She lost 32 lbs and 40 inches in 30 days. It has changed her life, in her defense, she had a lot of health issues that have improved since she is losing weight. I believe it is more from the weight loss than the medication but whatever...

Quoting Amber5151:

Quoting ALWsMomma:

That is very forward of her!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:59 PM

We get them in here, too.  I am a nursing student, and I see nurses doing crash diets, and I want to scream.  That crap makes me crazy!  But our words fall on deaf ears when they're seeing results.  Nevermind the health risks associated with those.

You might want to let your neighbor know that exercise is not advised while using the HCG diet (actually part of the diet- not a red flag or anything...).

The military has a HORRIBLE approach to weight.  I was in, and when I had issues with my weight, they encouraged me to do extreme diets to make standards.  I used Slim Fast and a body wrap to get in.  I even managed to keep off the weight for a few months.  But I hadn't learned anything, of course, and sure enough, as soon as life threw obstacles in my way, I didn't know how to stand up to them.  I gained back 50% more than I'd lost in the first place.

This time, I've lost over 100 lbs, and I've kept it off for almost a year so far, even with nursing school (did gain back about 5 lbs when school got intense, but losing that again right now).  I've definitely had my share of challenges thrown my way, but having developed tools along the way, and eating real food, I've learned how to stay on track.

Even worse, when I was using Slim Fast, I was absolutely starving the whole time, and insanely crabby.  It was an awful journey, and I hated every minute of it.  I felt so deprived.  The only benefits (aside from the weight loss, obviously) were that it was easy (no planning- I knew what I'd be having for two meals and two snacks a day) and it was cheaper than "actual" food.  Knowing what I know now, though, I absolutely cringe at all the things I did then!  I also think about when I'd go to the gym with two Red Bulls in a water bottle!  Gack!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:47 AM
:( I don't think id want to be anywhere near this person. Theyd drive me crazy.
robsgurl_23
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a sister who does that to me..she has been pushing the body by vi stuff on me. She is always trying to find 3 people to buy so she can get a free month supply. I had another sister taking some kind of diet pills that worked for her and she pushed them on me. I hate fad diets and I wish they would all go away...I am sure they work as long as you take the pills or shakes but what happens when you stop taking those pills and shakes you still eat the same way and guess what the weight comes back on and probably more and then you are back to where you were before so you either give up or go on the same route you were on before and have the same results to end up gaining the weight back again.and the cycle continues over and over again. I would rather do it the same way even if it takes longer I will get good results and results that will last as long as I keep doing it right..I have been at working out and eating right for a year ( March 6th has been a year) I have lost 27 pounds and I didn't do it with and fad diet. 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Amber5151
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I will never understand the mindset. Today she complained that she isn't seeing results, she is eating 700 calories a day at most and is currently doing 3 different fad diet methods. I told her she wasn't dropping pounds because her body is in starvation mode. She isn't eating enough to balance out what her body needs and how much she is working off in the gym every day, she said nope, it MUST be a thyroid issue. And she is going to see if get Dr will prescribe something.....smh this is becomg insane
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:37 AM
You could get her back by inviting her over for a meal so she can see how well you eat--lol:)

Kidding aside, though, I have bought into that before. I didn't know it didn't have to be tough! Losing weight is a challenge, yes, but if only everyone knew that you can eat well & drop the lbs. but not everyone has developed the patience for it. I know that until last December, I never did!

Hopefully your friend doesn't get discouraged when the weight comes back. Hopefully she will see what you have been doing and start asking you about it!!
Amber5151
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM
I just wish she would get the hint (because I have told her a million times) that I think it's unhealthy and just stop telling new about it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)