Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

$200...

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 19 Replies

That was my grocery bill this morning. Ugh... 

Eating cleanly is killing my checkbook. Heath almost had apoplexy when he saw the receipt. 

My cart had very few processed items: 3 cans of fire roasted tomatoes for chili, 2 cans of black beans for the chili, 1 box of whole wheat spaghetti ( my pasta maker broke or else I'd make my own), 2 boxes of Capri-sun for the monsters, 1 box of crackers,mayo ( was out), mustard ( was out), pickles for Lilly ( was out), pickled jalepenos ( for Heath- was out) and nuts...the rest was produce, meat and some yogurt.

Apples, berries, bananas, pears, lettuces for salads, cherry tomatoes, tomatoes, avocadoes, scallions, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, red cabbage, lemons, limes, frozen veggies, 2 packs of chicken thights, 2 bags of tilapia, 1 turkey breast, 1 pack bacon, turkey sausage,  and pork chops..and 10 yogurts that were on sale or else I would have made my own. 

Geez... the sad thing is that most of this will be gone in a week...the Capri suns, mayo, mustard, jalepenos and nuts will last for a couple of weeks..the rest will be gone. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lesgerm
by Leslie on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:32 PM
I spend $200 every week. Its crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
roxysmommy
by Sarah on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I bought 2 weeks worth of food this morning for $260. That's all clean, nothing processed. Is food expensive where you live?

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Our budget is $100 weekly for the 3 of us.  We usually manage to spend about $75 BUT I only eat dinner at home 3 days a week so they usually do something easy when I'm at work.  We probably will spend more per week because I'm going to convince my hubby to buy grass feed beef and our meat at New Seasons or Whole Foods.  That will definitely bump our budget up a bit.  

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Quoting roxysmommy:

I bought 2 weeks worth of food this morning for $260. That's all clean, nothing processed. Is food expensive where you live?

I'm just south of Atlanta...and yes..it is... $6/ lb for chicken and pork..the turkey breast was $11 alone. The zucchini was organic and was $8 for 3 of them. I bought different lettuces to make my own salad mix and it was $15. Pork chops are $7/lb, tilapia was $5/12 oz, nuts were $8..

Thankfullly, I did not have to buy milk or eggs.. I buy almond milk and it is $4/qt and eggs are almost $5 per dozen. 

We don't have a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or Farmer's Market close to us so those are not options unless I want to sit in Atlanta traffic for hours..especially on a Friday. LOL ....

Claire

roxysmommy
by Sarah on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Oh wow! I just picked up drumsticks for 1.18/lb (we like dark meat, lol), pork for 1.98/lb, steaks were a bit more pricey even for the cheap ones at 5.98/lb, 5 dozen egss for just under $8. A giant thing of salad mix for $4, apples .97/lb and $8 would have gotten me a TON of zuchinni. Gosh, I really take for granted the price of food in CA, I just assumed that it was more expensive here since everything else is. 

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting roxysmommy:

I'm just south of Atlanta...and yes..it is... $6/ lb for chicken and pork..the turkey breast was $11 alone. The zucchini was organic and was $8 for 3 of them. I bought different lettuces to make my own salad mix and it was $15. Pork chops are $7/lb, tilapia was $5/12 oz, nuts were $8..

Thankfullly, I did not have to buy milk or eggs.. I buy almond milk and it is $4/qt and eggs are almost $5 per dozen. 

We don't have a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or Farmer's Market close to us so those are not options unless I want to sit in Atlanta traffic for hours..especially on a Friday. LOL ....

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Quoting roxysmommy:

Oh wow! I just picked up drumsticks for 1.18/lb (we like dark meat, lol), pork for 1.98/lb, steaks were a bit more pricey even for the cheap ones at 5.98/lb, 5 dozen egss for just under $8. A giant thing of salad mix for $4, apples .97/lb and $8 would have gotten me a TON of zuchinni. Gosh, I really take for granted the price of food in CA, I just assumed that it was more expensive here since everything else is. 

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting roxysmommy:

You have more farmland, etc in CA than we have in Atlanta so areas like this are pricey. It is ridiculous. I looked at a free range organic whole chicken and it was a 2 lb chicken and was almost $25...<----nope...got the good ole' regular chicken that day. 

I bought chicken thighs and those were $5/lb...it is highway robbery. I'm going broke eating cleanly...LOL

Claire

roxysmommy
by Sarah on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Gosh, that's horrible! I honestly feel bad for those that have to spend so much on food! We do have quite a lot of farm land here, so it does make sense that it's less expensive here, I just didn't realize it was THAT expensive else where :(

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting roxysmommy:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting roxysmommy:

You have more farmland, etc in CA than we have in Atlanta so areas like this are pricey. It is ridiculous. I looked at a free range organic whole chicken and it was a 2 lb chicken and was almost $25...<----nope...got the good ole' regular chicken that day. 

I bought chicken thighs and those were $5/lb...it is highway robbery. I'm going broke eating cleanly...LOL

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM

crap... I spend that every 2 weeks if that!

Sapphire.Tears
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM

There is a store near me with extremely cheap food...an average week of spending for us there is about $50.  Thats for all the smaller things though like my cucumbers, tomatoes, flour, sugar, etc.  I also average about $50 at the local meat market. Absoluetly not processed, and the farm is less than a mile away, so we know exactly where the meat is coming from, and the condition of the animals before slaughter. :)

Sapphire.Tears
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM

If more people would do this though, the need for processed foods would go down, and we would see a drop in the prices of organic stuff. Its really sad that people don't realize this, and buy organic once or twice, then quit and go back to the processed crap because they 'cant afford it'. 

I've seen some of those who 'cant' and honestly - they really can, they just need to cut back on spending for other areas like entertainment and buying brand name items or brand new clothing.

Quoting roxysmommy:

Gosh, that's horrible! I honestly feel bad for those that have to spend so much on food! We do have quite a lot of farm land here, so it does make sense that it's less expensive here, I just didn't realize it was THAT expensive else where :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)