Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

breaking my routine and cheating-need ideas please

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM
  • 4 Replies
It seems like every time I do really well and establish a routine something happens that throws me off. A big one is going out of town, especially if we're going to visit family. They like to eat out a lot and restaurants are a major weakness for me. It seems like every time we go see them I end up getting off track for days or sometimes weeks. I know that is nobody's fault but mine. Well it's about to happen again and I've decided to ask for help this time. I've been doing really well for a couple weeks. Haven't cheated once! Three weeks from now we're going out of town to see my family and celebrate my birthday and we'll be gone three days. Any ideas for staying on track?
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes! When you decide which restaurant you are going to that day, google their menu and nutrition facts. Plan your meal before you leave.
Do your best not to munch on bread and chips too much before the meal arrives.
If you are visiting a local place that has no menu or nutrition facts available, try to stick to grilled, sautéed, baked. Those are usually pretty safe!

While traveling, (not sure if you are flying or driving), also be conscious of snacks you bring on the trip...pack fruit, water, sandwiches, nuts, energy/protein bars so you're not tempted to go through the drive through.

These are things that have helped me. Hope you have a good trip!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
prayerwarrior1
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM

eat something healthy before you go so you are not very hungry that way even if you do eat something that is bad for you you wont eat much of it bc you will not be very hungry.  I don't do that I just started my diet like a week ago but it made since to me so I will prob try it lol

marihla
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 2:11 AM
2 moms liked this
The first reply has great ideas that I use. Plus, when at a restaurant (a major weakness for me as well) I remind myself how good I will feel about the decision to have a salad. All you have to do is make the order, that's the hardest part. You won't be disappointed when your healthy choice arrives.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Here's my opinion on this: It's really about learning how to cheat one day, then get back on track the next.  I rarely go a full week without a "cheat" day.  Dieting gets boring.  I get tired of counting calories.  I get tired of eating the same stuff. 

So I allow myself to cheat.  Not enough to blow my week out of the water...just enough so that I no longer feel like I am dieting.

This allows me a chance to get eating out of my system, but also allows me a chance to practice self control.  The day after a cheat day, I have to get back on track.  Honestly, the first few times it really does suck...but it does get easier every time I do it.

The other thing you need to look at: Every restaurant has a healthy alternative.  You need to learn that sometimes you have to eat something you should eat rather than want to eat.  I go out all the time to eat--my choices are based on the calorie counts.  I often have to choose between someting I really want and something I know I should eat.  Sometimes I get exactly what I want, then allow myself to only eat 1/2 or 1/3.  Other times I stick with a meal that I know I should eat, then can allow myself to eat more of it.  It's all about the moderation of the meal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN