Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

not weight loss but a health concern!!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM
  • 7 Replies

Poll

Question: should i make him go to the dr for a full physical?

Options:

Yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 9

View Results

My fiance is almost 25. he smokes(not for lack of me trying to get him to quit) probably 3-4 black and milds a day. if he has an actual pack of cigs he will smoke it in about 1.5 to 2 days. my concern is that he has this TERRIBLE cough. A cough that he has had for at least 3 years since before we got together. he doesn't seem concerned about it. I AM!!!! it sounds like he has a bunch of phlem in his chest though his cough is rarely productive. he coughs all the time. more than he realizes do to him being used to it. I'm scared it might be something more serious but i don't know how to get him to go to the dr. about it. SHould i just book the appointment and make him go? i've seriously thought about it. I even asked him if he would rather know if there was something wrong so that he could see our daughter grow up instead of us being robbed of him unexpectedly. i wasn't trying to me mean just honest. Any ideas of what it could be from? Do you guys think i should just make him go to the dr?'

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Smokers cough maybe? Maybe a doctor could help convince him to quit... It doesn't hurt to have him go in.

Sapphire.Tears
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:34 AM

It sounds like a smokers cough, which means he has a large buildup of tar in his lungs, in turn putting him at serious risk for cancer (duh).  Drag his ass to the doctor and don't let him walk out of there without at least knowing the risk of the game he's playing!

taniamorse85
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I'd definitely drag his butt to the doctor.   It could be something serious, but even if it isn't, perhaps his doctor can convince him to quit.  Regardless, he needs to be checked out.

itsm3
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:21 AM

sounds like smoker's cough.  when my dad smoked, he had it.  it only went away after he quit.

to be honest, you can't make a person quit smoking until they want to... we tried for YEARS to get my dad to quit and then one day, he decided it didn't want to smoke anymore and that was it.  he never looked back. 

you can only encourage him to quit but in the end, it's really up to him :(

27yomomof4
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:22 AM
You cant make him quit but you can be encouraging about it. Just dont be bitchy or nagging about it because it will just work the opposite for you!ask him to go get that cough checked out. Hand him a tissue everytime he coughs then he will realize how often its happening, if he doesn't already.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I agree with these ladies.  Maybe the doctor can get through to him, but really, just like with weight loss, only the person who actually smokes is able to make that decision.  It sounds like smoker's cough, and it's not usually productive, because smoking paralyzes the cilia, which are the finger-like projections along the airways that move mucus up the airway to get rid of it.  Normally they move in a wave-like way, but they stop moving when someone smokes.  This is part of the reason people who smoke are at higher risk for infection.

Really, though, most people know smoking is unhealthy, and do it anyway.  Like overeating, or eating junk food.  Give the doctor a go, and see how it goes.

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Bamsmom2012
by on May. 19, 2013 at 10:21 PM
He went to the dr they gave home a special inhaler and a Zpack to mock out any infection and now it's getting better and is actually productive. It's gross and black most of the time but at least he's getting the crap out of his chest. Thanks for all the input
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)