Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

sagging

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM
  • 8 Replies

I have been working really hard and pushing to lose weight. I started at 272 on 1/28/13 and today I weighed in at 249.6. The fact that I have reached this level is exciting! However, I have had one downside to this weight loss. The skin on my stomach is starting to sag a bit.

How do I counter this? Am I doomed to have saggy skin all over as I lose weight?

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Great job thus far, mama!

Are you exercising?  Drinking plenty of water?  Aside from those kinds of things (especially strength training), and your rate of loss (faster loss= more loose skin), genetics and time really determine how your skin responds.  You may start seeing more of it as you lose, in your upper arms, thighs, and boobs.  I've lost over 100 lbs myself, so I can relate to what you're going through.  I've lost mine pretty slowly (average rate around 45 lbs per year), so it's not too bad.  The more time passes, the more your skin will go back, but strength training makes a HUGE difference.  Not perfect by any means- my stomach isn't exactly "bikini ready," but strength training does help.  Here are a couple of pics I took a few weeks ago:

So you can see that I still have a bit to go, and how it's not insane, but not great.  I have to wear tight pants when I run uphill, because I'll hear my stomach.  Every now and then, I hear my arms flap against my torso (when running).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

artistmom27
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:02 AM

That drop you have is how mines is looking.(I am sorry for how that sounds, I don't know how else to explain it.) I had a C-section with my son and at some level I have had that fold in my belly, but it is dramatically more noticable than before.

Quoting musicpisces:

Are you exercising?  Drinking plenty of water?  Aside from those kinds of things (especially strength training), and your rate of loss (faster loss= more loose skin), genetics and time really determine how your skin responds.  You may start seeing more of it as you lose, in your upper arms, thighs, and boobs.  I've lost over 100 lbs myself, so I can relate to what you're going through.  I've lost mine pretty slowly (average rate around 45 lbs per year), so it's not too bad.  The more time passes, the more your skin will go back, but strength training makes a HUGE difference.  Not perfect by any means- my stomach isn't exactly "bikini ready," but strength training does help.  Here are a couple of pics I took a few weeks ago:

So you can see that I still have a bit to go, and how it's not insane, but not great.  I have to wear tight pants when I run uphill, because I'll hear my stomach.  Every now and then, I hear my arms flap against my torso (when running).

artistmom27
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:03 AM

BUMP!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Hugs and good luck mama!  Suzanne has some good advice:)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Look at you skinny!!!!

Quoting musicpisces:

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM

My skin still sags. Time (years) has improved it but I doubt it will ever look great. Its a bummer.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Yeah, I'm sure my c-section didn't help!  LOL  Plus I was big when I was pregnant (232 starting weight), so adding on the stretching from pregnancy just did wonders on my stomach.

Quoting artistmom27:

That drop you have is how mines is looking.(I am sorry for how that sounds, I don't know how else to explain it.) I had a C-section with my son and at some level I have had that fold in my belly, but it is dramatically more noticable than before.

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Working on it!  I'm trying really hard to break through the little gain I had with school.  We'll see how it goes.  I've definitely been working on the exercise part, and I'm working on the food, which is always my downfall.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Look at you skinny!!!!

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)