Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What Cereals (if any) do you ladies eat?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM
  • 30 Replies

The two cereals I still keep are cherios (the non coated, less sugary kind), and rasin bran.   I don't eat them every day, for obvious reasons, but I still love them.  I'm curious about what sorts of things you clean eaters have for breakfasts, if you don't eat any cereal (unless there are organic cereals that they dont sell around here and I've never heard of. lol)

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Sorry, I don't eat cereals.  They're VERY processed and leave me with a heavy feeling in my gut.

ripemango
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM

i make my own granola and will eat it like cereal..w either milk or soymilk. it's much more filling than store-bought cereal

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Sapphire.Tears
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:16 PM

That sounds yummy!

Quoting ripemango:

i make my own granola and will eat it like cereal..w either milk or soymilk. it's much more filling than store-bought cereal

Sapphire.Tears
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM

The only thing I ever really notice is that cereal doesn't make me feel full.  Especially cereal with a lot of sugar in it.  More often than not I'm hungry again in an hour or less. Right now its just the only thing in the house besides eggs, and I've had eggs every morning for the last few days. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Sorry, I don't eat cereals.  They're VERY processed and leave me with a heavy feeling in my gut.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Cereal isn't meant to make you feel full.  It actually works to make you want more, but there's a pretty big scientific explanation for that.

I have eggs (fried, scrambled, poached, hard boiled), pancakes/waffles made with coconut flour (3x the amount of fiber as whole wheat flour) or almond flour, veggie hashes, eggs/meat/veggie casseroles (frittatas) for breakfasts and I don't get hungry for several hours.  I have to remind myself to eat lunch because I have no hunger pangs.  When I ate cereals (including steel cut oats or other "high fiber" cereals), I was STARVING within 3 hours.

Quoting Sapphire.Tears:

The only thing I ever really notice is that cereal doesn't make me feel full.  Especially cereal with a lot of sugar in it.  More often than not I'm hungry again in an hour or less. Right now its just the only thing in the house besides eggs, and I've had eggs every morning for the last few days. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Sapphire.Tears
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM

the more i see you post, the more i want a copy of your meal plan. lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

Cereal isn't meant to make you feel full.  It actually works to make you want more, but there's a pretty big scientific explanation for that.

I have eggs (fried, scrambled, poached, hard boiled), pancakes/waffles made with coconut flour (3x the amount of fiber as whole wheat flour) or almond flour, veggie hashes, eggs/meat/veggie casseroles (frittatas) for breakfasts and I don't get hungry for several hours.  I have to remind myself to eat lunch because I have no hunger pangs.  When I ate cereals (including steel cut oats or other "high fiber" cereals), I was STARVING within 3 hours.

Quoting Sapphire.Tears:

Quoting michiganmom116:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Your wish!  LOL  Keep in mind I make everything from scratch, and I don't eat everything that the family does...for instance, on Tuesday THEY will have tacos, and I'll make a taco salad for me (everything but the chips, plus diced avocado).

March 17 – 23, 2013

Sunday:

breakfast – fruit, omelets

lunch – sloppy joe salad

dinner – crockpot ham and cabbage dinner, mint oreo pie

Monday:

breakfast – grain-free banana pancakes, veggie juice

lunch - leftovers

dinner - crockpot Tuscan chicken stew

Tuesday:

breakfast – breakfast bake, veggie juice

lunch – leftovers

dinner – tacos

Wednesday:

breakfast – omelets, bacon

lunch – clam chowder, salad

dinner - skillet chicken vesuvius, salad

Thursday:

breakfast – grain-free waffles, veggie juice

lunch – leftovers, salad

dinner - crockpot beef stew, grain-free butter biscuits

Friday:

breakfast – poached eggs, veggie hash, veggie juice

lunch – tuna melts, salad

dinner - crockpot island chicken, salad

Saturday:

breakfast – FFY

lunch – bratwurst, side salad or veggie sticks

dinner - pizza frittata, salad

Quoting Sapphire.Tears:

the more i see you post, the more i want a copy of your meal plan. lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Sapphire.Tears:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Silvertears1275
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I usually eat eggs for breakfast because it's fast and easy and I'm not awake enough to do much more at the hour I have to get up.  I have made a granola-type cereal with chopped nuts, raisins, and coconut flakes.  It's pretty high-calorie with the nuts, so I don't make it often.

ripemango
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this

it is really good and comes out to be way cheaper than buying cereal at the store. i've made enough granola that i now feel confident experimenting here and there w it. i try to write down what i do in case it's a winner. my most recent whoah i really like this 1 is as follows:

Old Fashioned Rolled Oats - Dry, 3 cups    
Sugar, 3 tsp    
Homemade Apple Butter, 6 tbsp         
Pure Vanilla Extract, 2 tsp
Pb2 - Powdered Peanut Butter, 3 tbsp

pinch of salt

Notice no oil. It works fine w/o esp since we almost always have it w milk. (if i was just going to eat it plain or make a trail mix i would use some oil). The peanut butter taste isn't necessary at all i just like PB...A LOT!

We're making another batch tonight. I plan to follow the recipe as states above, but I think i'm gonna run out of the apple butter so it will prob be 1/2 apple butter 1/2 pear butter.

DD spent the night w grandparents last night. She and I love making granola together. I like it bc I don't have to worry about her eating a batter w raw egg in it. If she wants a taste prior to baking, hey go for it ya know :)

Quoting Sapphire.Tears:

That sounds yummy!

Quoting ripemango:

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM
We typically eat asparagus and spinach omeleys with a side of fruit, smoked (naturally smoked, not cured with nitrates) salmon and eggs with a side of fruit or just eggs, toast and fruit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN