Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How can I train myself not to land on my heels when I run?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:32 PM
  • 7 Replies

I watched a video some guy did that owns a running store and tried to do how he shows but I feel like I'm on my tip toes and honestly can imagine I look like a huge dork.  Please tell me how you learn to run properly. I am 40 years old and apparently I've never learned to run properly.  

Cheryl
married to Chris 10/18/06
mother to Nathan 6/21/08

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM
You have to just force it. Well I did. Read born to run.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM

It takes a conscious effort at first.  You have to slow down, find a good flat place to run where you can take the time to just focus on your footwork (and increase your foot turnover- that will help, too).  The first couple of times it feels weird.  But then it starts to feel better, and you'll find you have less pain because of it.  I used to have shin splints and knee pain, and I haven't had either since I switched to a midfoot strike and quick turnover.

Look at a few YouTube videos, and check out runnersworld.com for some good info about form.  You could even consider hiring a running coach for a day or two to help with this.  There is also a Running Moms group here that isn't super active, but people can offer some great advice (you'll see some familiar faces from here!).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Haha that's the long version (and super helpful) of "force it".

Quoting musicpisces:

It takes a conscious effort at first.  You have to slow down, find a good flat place to run where you can take the time to just focus on your footwork (and increase your foot turnover- that will help, too).  The first couple of times it feels weird.  But then it starts to feel better, and you'll find you have less pain because of it.  I used to have shin splints and knee pain, and I haven't had either since I switched to a midfoot strike and quick turnover.

Look at a few YouTube videos, and check out runnersworld.com for some good info about form.  You could even consider hiring a running coach for a day or two to help with this.  There is also a Running Moms group here that isn't super active, but people can offer some great advice (you'll see some familiar faces from here!).

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Quoting musicpisces:

Giggle snort Kat...

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM
My online communication skills suck. You guys are good. :)

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Quoting musicpisces:

Giggle snort Kat...

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

My online communication skills suck. You guys are good. :)

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Hunnybadgerkins:

Quoting musicpisces:

Giggle snort Kat...

Your OL skills are just fine... you make me giggle sometimes. That was an epic answer BTW. LOL

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

rsmeyer54
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I accidently took a running class at this place I used to take crossfit.  I came in thinking it was another crossfit class and the guys like no but you are staying cause you look like an idiot when you run... awe thanks... anyway the way he taught us was to skip rope and lean forward... when doing so... it is kinda hard to describe.  Ya i'm prolly not much help either......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)