Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How do you get active???

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 15 Replies
As asked in the title...How do you get motivated to be active during the day? I admit 100% that I am a lazy unmotivated person. I do my 30 mins on the wii fit or bike then I am just done in for the rest of the day and sit on my bum playing computer games. This is just NOT going to cut it. I have gone from crap eating to whole food vegan with very little crap and the 30 min exercise. I have lost 12 lbs since October last year! It doesn't seem like much at all. I've been yoyoing for two months now with no loss. What do you do to get active outside of exercise??? I have 0 motivation :-(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JLo1486
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM
I dance most of the day. Put on some music and go to town. Basically, I just make sure I am active at least 3 hours of the day non stop. Whether I walk my dogs or walk somewhere, clean, work out, dance, do squats while watching TV., Hoola hoop, etc etc. I make time out of the day to find SOMETHING to do that keeps me moving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Kids are a perfect excuse, LOL.

My get fit journay unintentionally started 18 months ago when we got a "baby ballet" DVD for our daughter's birthday.  She refused to do the lesson by herself but she would do it if I did it with her.  Forty-five minutes later, I'm sore and she's still bouncing around the room, haha.  I've since moved on to ballet lessons on YouTube designed for beginner adults.  At some point, I hope to be able to do the American Ballet Corp workout I have on disk.

Then, my son started getting into yoga.  So now, he and Ido 30 minutes of yoga together, in additon to the ballet with my daughter.  And they're the reason for all the other activities I do too.  I have a roster of about seven or eight different workouts that generally take 20 to 40 minutes each and aim for doing three off that list every day.  :-)

MrsOssiander
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM
The exercise part is actually the easy part...I'm talking outside exercise routine. I finish my stuff then I sit on my rear the rest of the day. It is winter here and still below 0 Celsius most of the time but when I take the kids out in nice weather it isn't mommy playing soccer with them it is mommy sitting watching them. I am so tired all the time that I just 'can't' play you know...
Sapphire.Tears
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Crank up the music, or when your playing a computer game (especially if you have a desktop) - dont use your chair!  Stand up at the desk to play.  Push the chair accross the room so you can't just sit back down and say screw it.  Then, every 15 minutes, take a break and sit down.  Trust me, you will know when it has been 15 minutes. your feet will feel like they are being impailed if you arent used to being on them a lot. lol

Or another good thing to try, set yourself an alarm to go off in 20 - 30 minutes, then get up, do something, anything, go do laundry, dishes, walk around your house aimlessly, jump up and down in place, run in place, whatever you feel is a good bit of exercise, for about 5 minutes. then come back, set the alarm again, and repeat. 

Yoga and meditation are good to help you clear your mind and feel more relaxed, but in my personal opinion, feeling relaxed is the last thing someone who isn't very motivated to get up in the first place needs.  I speak from experience. A week ago you wouldn't have been able to get my ass off the couch.  Now, the house is nearly spotless (I even cleaned our closets! lmao) and the dishes are kept up on, laundry is being done as i type this.  :)

All it takes is finding what works for YOU.    GL mama!  If I can do it  so can you! :)

Sapphire.Tears
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:34 PM

wintertime is a downer for a lot of people. Do you have depression by any chance?  It could be SADD, its a seasonal depression disorder.  Its from not getting enough sunlight.

Quoting MrsOssiander:

The exercise part is actually the easy part...I'm talking outside exercise routine. I finish my stuff then I sit on my rear the rest of the day. It is winter here and still below 0 Celsius most of the time but when I take the kids out in nice weather it isn't mommy playing soccer with them it is mommy sitting watching them. I am so tired all the time that I just 'can't' play you know...

MrsOssiander
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I've struggled with depression for a long time, made worse after my youngest daughter was stillborn nearly 3 years ago.  I'm still nursing my youngest so I am refused the meds that I know work for me.  SSRI's make it even worse heh (which they will prescribe but I turned it down), I can't even get out of bed for all the tiredness when I was taking those.  Sunlight is definitely an issue as well :(  Midwinter we are lucky to get 5 hours of daylight in general and it's usually not the sunny kind long.  We're going toward lighter times now though!  The sun is actually up when we get up now hehe.

Quoting Sapphire.Tears:

wintertime is a downer for a lot of people. Do you have depression by any chance?  It could be SADD, its a seasonal depression disorder.  Its from not getting enough sunlight.

Quoting MrsOssiander:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like you may have SADD.  What would help is to get a sun lamp that mimics the full spectrum of light that sunshine has.  Mine really helped me a LOT.

Have you had a recent blood workup to see if blood levels are normal?  Any number of things could be off and causing the fatigue.

Other than that, it's just up to you to make the decision to get up and moving around.  I find that once I'm moving, I tend to wake up and find my energy.

Silvertears1275
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I have a Fitbit and it helps me to aim to get up and move more so that I hit 10,000 steps in a day.  You wouldn't have to spend that much, though, a simple $5 pedometer would work, too.  Set a goal and think of ways throughout the day to help you meet that goal.

MrsOssiander
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM
When the weather gets better I'll go walking again. Takes me an hour to go up...and I do mean up as it is a pretty steep incline lol..Vårbergbacken and down Vårbergvägan with a bit over 7k steps. I sweat a lot so it's not fun being wet out in the freezing cold lol. We'll also get back into the geocaching thing too. I hate winter in Sweden lol

Quoting Silvertears1275:

I have a Fitbit and it helps me to aim to get up and move more so that I hit 10,000 steps in a day.  You wouldn't have to spend that much, though, a simple $5 pedometer would work, too.  Set a goal and think of ways throughout the day to help you meet that goal.

Silvertears1275
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Yeah, winter is tough.  You can still try to move around more inside... make extra trips when cleaning.  Basically, be LESS efficient.  I've known people who make a trip for each individual article of clothes when they do laundry, just to get that movement in.  Good luck =)

Quoting MrsOssiander:

When the weather gets better I'll go walking again. Takes me an hour to go up...and I do mean up as it is a pretty steep incline lol..Vårbergbacken and down Vårbergvägan with a bit over 7k steps. I sweat a lot so it's not fun being wet out in the freezing cold lol. We'll also get back into the geocaching thing too. I hate winter in Sweden lol

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN