Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Want to feel bad about yourself?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:28 PM
  • 11 Replies

Go to the beach. OMG. We just got back from a beach trip. I have never felt as bad about myself as I do now. I have gained so much weight in the past year. 20 lbs to be exact. I need to loose 30lbs to be at a healthy weight. I just don't know how to do it. I have back problems so a lot of exercises are out. I have hypothyroid so my metabolism is shot. I have fibromyalgia so some days I can barely get out of bed and my right leg doesn't always work like it needs to so I am afraid to run. Falling while you are walking is one thing but falling while running is a whole new level of hurt.

On top of the extra weight I was probably the palest person there. LOL It was horrible. Guess that what you get for being a pastey pale red head.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Excuses, excuses, excuses.  That's all I am reading in your post.

You don't need to exercise to lose weight.  Stop using it as an excuse.

If you are well controlled on medication, being hypothyroid won't matter.  Stop using it as an excuse.

Stop making excuses.  Get your diet in order.  That's how you are going to lose weight.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting CLEKate:

If you are well controlled on medication, being hypothyroid won't matter.  Stop using it as an excuse.

Stop making excuses.  Get your diet in order.  That's how you are going to lose weight.

A little harsh don't you think?  

I have been told that pilates is good for people with back problems, maybe you can try that, also what about a stionary bike or somehting like that?    Do you count calories?  If not, that will help and drink water too if you don't already.  I'm sure others here will have some good ideas to offer

Good luck :)

bunnywzrd
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Thank you for your great words of wisdom oh high and mighty one.

Quoting CLEKate:

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination.
bunnywzrd
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM

charlotsomtimes: I have a gazelle though I don't know if thats as effective as a bike but I will drag it out a give it a try. I had forgotten about it.  Thank you for your suggestions.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Quoting CLEKate:

I have been told that pilates is good for people with back problems, maybe you can try that, also what about a stionary bike or somehting like that?    Do you count calories?  If not, that will help and drink water too if you don't already.  I'm sure others here will have some good ideas to offer

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
eema.gray
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

You have a lot of excuses.

All of them have solutions.

Weight loss is 80% the food you eat, 20% exercise.  Regardless of everything else going on, you CAN choose to eat good whole fresh healthy food every day.  That much you can explicitly control, regardless of what may be going on in your body.

Hypothyroid can be controlled.  If you have trouble maintaining weight, your thyroid is not under control.  Are you taking meds/what are you taking?  Some people need Armour thyroid in addition to or instead of levothyroxine.  Some people need to eat a very clean diet, eliminating foods that are inflammatory **for the individual** in addition to or instead of meds.  Your thyroid is extremely important; women with uncontrolled thyroid are at much greater risk of heart disease and stroke as they age so really, focus on getting your thyroid running smoothly!

Fibro can, in some individuals, be an off shoot of the thyroid issue.  It can also be an inflammation issue.  So, if you work on eating whole, fresh food and getting your thyroid working properly, your fibro symptoms may improve enough, on their own, to make daily exercise easier.

Is your leg pain part of your fibro symptoms or something else?  If it's unrelated to fibro, I would seek out expert care on it.  A leg should not just randomly stop working the way it's supposed to.  You may simply need to do some physical therapy, which will help greatly in giving you a work out regime that your body is capable of doing.

You do not have to run.  Running is highly enjoyable for many people but it is not the only exercise out there.  Statistically, people who walk every day do better at long term weight loss than people who run.  You can walk at any pace to get the same benefit.  Also, cardio is very good for your heart but strength training, lifting free weight, is extremely beneficial for developing muscle mass, strengthening your bones, and burning fat.  If you work with a trainer on free weights, you may also be able to improve the stability and balance in your problem leg.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a Gazelle!  It can be pretty effective for cardio exercise.

Quoting bunnywzrd:

charlotsomtimes: I have a gazelle though I don't know if thats as effective as a bike but I will drag it out a give it a try. I had forgotten about it.  Thank you for your suggestions.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Quoting CLEKate:

bunnywzrd
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I have hashimoto's hypothyroid. It's an autoimmune diesease. It is undercontrol. I get it checked every few months. They adjusted it when I started gaining weight. Last time it was checked it was fine. The fibro. is belived to be caused by the hypothyroid but the fibro doesn't seem to be affected by how well my thyroid is undercontrol.

I do think that the leg problems are part of the fibro. issue. The doctor seemed to think so to.

What is armour thyroid?

Thank you for your suggestions

Quoting eema.gray:

Weight loss is 80% the food you eat, 20% exercise.  Regardless of everything else going on, you CAN choose to eat good whole fresh healthy food every day.  That much you can explicitly control, regardless of what may be going on in your body.

Hypothyroid can be controlled.  If you have trouble maintaining weight, your thyroid is not under control.  Are you taking meds/what are you taking?  Some people need Armour thyroid in addition to or instead of levothyroxine.  Some people need to eat a very clean diet, eliminating foods that are inflammatory **for the individual** in addition to or instead of meds.  Your thyroid is extremely important; women with uncontrolled thyroid are at much greater risk of heart disease and stroke as they age so really, focus on getting your thyroid running smoothly!

Fibro can, in some individuals, be an off shoot of the thyroid issue.  It can also be an inflammation issue.  So, if you work on eating whole, fresh food and getting your thyroid working properly, your fibro symptoms may improve enough, on their own, to make daily exercise easier.

Is your leg pain part of your fibro symptoms or something else?  If it's unrelated to fibro, I would seek out expert care on it.  A leg should not just randomly stop working the way it's supposed to.  You may simply need to do some physical therapy, which will help greatly in giving you a work out regime that your body is capable of doing.

You do not have to run.  Running is highly enjoyable for many people but it is not the only exercise out there.  Statistically, people who walk every day do better at long term weight loss than people who run.  You can walk at any pace to get the same benefit.  Also, cardio is very good for your heart but strength training, lifting free weight, is extremely beneficial for developing muscle mass, strengthening your bones, and burning fat.  If you work with a trainer on free weights, you may also be able to improve the stability and balance in your problem leg.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
eema.gray
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I,m somewhat familiar with Hashimoto's, at least to the extent I know it can be very challenging to keep well controlled. :-)

I would suggest, on the food front, researching "clean" and "paleo" diets. Some people are able to control autoimmune conditions with these diets.

Besides walking, you may enjoy relaxation yoga or pilates to stretch your muscles and give them flexibility. A good ballroom dance class can provide cardio and flexibility also. :-)

Quoting bunnywzrd:

I have hashimoto's hypothyroid. It's an autoimmune diesease. It is undercontrol. I get it checked every few months. They adjusted it when I started gaining weight. Last time it was checked it was fine. The fibro. is belived to be caused by the hypothyroid but the fibro doesn't seem to be affected by how well my thyroid is undercontrol.

I do think that the leg problems are part of the fibro. issue. The doctor seemed to think so to.

What is armour thyroid?

Thank you for your suggestions

Quoting eema.gray:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:31 PM
6 moms liked this

I'd really try starting with your food intake.  It's 80% of the battle for anyone, and the most important factor. 

Do you have access to a swimming pool?  Swimming is great exercise, and very easy on the joints and back.  The Gazelle will be great as well!  You can do some strength training at home, and it will just take some experimentation to find what works for you and what doesn't.  DH has a dislocated back, and we basically just had to try things to see what works for him.

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:40 PM

As for the tan:  my DD is a redhead and can burn very easily.  I totally hear you!  When she's out in the sun she gets freckles along with any kind of tan and she hates it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)