Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Cutting out processed foods

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM
  • 33 Replies
Hello! I am trying to cut back on the amount of processed foods my family eats, as one of many changes to our unhealthy lifestyle. Unfortunately i am finding this harder than any of my other goals. I guess i never realized hiw much we eat them. Does anyone have any tips for ways to help cut back on pricessed foods. my kids are 1 1/2 and 6. Not to picky of eaters. Im more picky then they are. So that is not the problem. Honelstly i think it may be a lack of knowledge of better foods or how/ what i need to make them. i was raised in a family that grew up eating frozen dinners, hamburger helper, pasta roni, etc etc... and guess what we are now all over weight as adults and i am trying to start a new cycle for my daughters. Thanks for any help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilrockerMama
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:38 PM
I am no help, but I'm interested too! I have trouble with MSG which is in pretty much everything it seems.
2girlsandadream
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM
I never really noticed things like that before and its definitely one of the things i want to cut back on.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

I am no help, but I'm interested too! I have trouble with MSG which is in pretty much everything it seems.
LilrockerMama
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM
I do too. But I have no idea how to... And once you're so accustomed to eating a certain way it's hard. It's hard enough to cut back and cut out certain things to lose weight and stuff but... I have no idea where to start or how. My husband would not be okay with just fresh fruits a veggies. And I couldnt watch him eat this n that and me eat my plain salad lol. It is scary when you research all the things they put in food though.
ballerina.2006
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM
2 moms liked this
We had to cut processed foods because of allergies. Meal planning really helps! Just stop buying things like Hamburger Helper and make your own from scratch. You can double a lasagna recipe and freeze one (before baking) and have a "frozen dinner" later.

Utilize your crock pot (or get one!). This is a huge time and money saver.

I bought a bag of chips for the first time in months if not years 2 days ago. $5 for a "family size" bag. I could get a good few pounds of bananas for snacks or a bag of apples for that price that would last twice as long! So you just need to look at what you're eating and what you'd like to replace it with. Start small. Take one meal or most of the snacks and make the changes there first. Then move to a second meal or all snacks etc until you are at where you want to be. For us it was a literal overnight change. You can take time and adjust though :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2girlsandadream
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:48 PM
2 moms liked this
My fiance is not to thrilled about it either but i do 100% of the cooking so he can eat it or learn to cook. He'll thank me someday lol :-)

Quoting LilrockerMama:

I do too. But I have no idea how to... And once you're so accustomed to eating a certain way it's hard. It's hard enough to cut back and cut out certain things to lose weight and stuff but... I have no idea where to start or how. My husband would not be okay with just fresh fruits a veggies. And I couldnt watch him eat this n that and me eat my plain salad lol. It is scary when you research all the things they put in food though.
2girlsandadream
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Do you plan a whole month of meals at a time? And how often do you grocery shop, if you dont mind me asking :-)

Quoting ballerina.2006:

We had to cut processed foods because of allergies. Meal planning really helps! Just stop buying things like Hamburger Helper and make your own from scratch. You can double a lasagna recipe and freeze one (before baking) and have a "frozen dinner" later.

Utilize your crock pot (or get one!). This is a huge time and money saver.

I bought a bag of chips for the first time in months if not years 2 days ago. $5 for a "family size" bag. I could get a good few pounds of bananas for snacks or a bag of apples for that price that would last twice as long! So you just need to look at what you're eating and what you'd like to replace it with. Start small. Take one meal or most of the snacks and make the changes there first. Then move to a second meal or all snacks etc until you are at where you want to be. For us it was a literal overnight change. You can take time and adjust though :)
LilrockerMama
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Haha we share the cooking, I do most of it though. I just got him okay with eating turkey meat instead of beef though! And I still have to buy a little beef for him. Lol so how are you starting this? Another thing is eating healthy is a bit more expensive than just buying processed. Lol and right now money is tight! I do try to make my own spaghetti sauce and Alfredo sauce and stuff like that. That's really it though.

Quoting 2girlsandadream:

My fiance is not to thrilled about it either but i do 100% of the cooking so he can eat it or learn to cook. He'll thank me someday lol :-)

Quoting LilrockerMama:

2girlsandadream
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Money is definitely one of our issues to. Its hard to turn down hamburger helper when its on sale for 75 cents and will feed my whole family. So far to start ive been trying to do most of the baked items we eat myself with whole wheat flour. we love biscuits and things like that which while not the healthiest for you the switch from canned biscuits is much better. i just got a bread machine and im going to start baking all of our bread myself also. Its something we dont eat much of and we really end up throwing more away because it goes bad then we eat. what a waste of money. so im hoping the breadmaker will save our money as well as be healthier. Ive also been trying to add more fresh fruits and veggies. I hate veggies and the times i normally would eat them it would be from a can.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

Haha we share the cooking, I do most of it though. I just got him okay with eating turkey meat instead of beef though! And I still have to buy a little beef for him. Lol so how are you starting this? Another thing is eating healthy is a bit more expensive than just buying processed. Lol and right now money is tight! I do try to make my own spaghetti sauce and Alfredo sauce and stuff like that. That's really it though.

Quoting 2girlsandadream:

Quoting LilrockerMama:

LilrockerMama
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM
I love bread. One of my biggest weight issues probably is bread! I want to make my own bread too, soo delicious! Time consuming though and I feel soo busy as it is. I love fresh veggies but... I love butter on them! Lol. Especially broccoli, covered in butter ah... But then I have this cholesterol issue. =p I don't think I've ever seen wheat flour. I will have to check in to that.

Quoting 2girlsandadream:

Money is definitely one of our issues to. Its hard to turn down hamburger helper when its on sale for 75 cents and will feed my whole family. So far to start ive been trying to do most of the baked items we eat myself with whole wheat flour. we love biscuits and things like that which while not the healthiest for you the switch from canned biscuits is much better. i just got a bread machine and im going to start baking all of our bread myself also. Its something we dont eat much of and we really end up throwing more away because it goes bad then we eat. what a waste of money. so im hoping the breadmaker will save our money as well as be healthier. Ive also been trying to add more fresh fruits and veggies. I hate veggies and the times i normally would eat them it would be from a can.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

Quoting 2girlsandadream:

Quoting LilrockerMama:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My definition of processed foods includes bread, cereal, and pasta, so you can imagine how hard it would be to eliminate all processed foods.

I plan meals.  I shop only in the dairy section for some cheeses, butter, and eggs, and in the produce section.  I'll hit the frozen food section only for frozen veggies.  I only hit the aisles for things like plain organic tomato products, and I use the bulk section to get spices/herb, nuts and sunflower seeds.  If I bought meat at the store, I'd go there, too.

I searched for dozens of recipes for breakfast:  frittatas (baked eggs/meat/veggies), omelets, veggie hash or mash with poached eggs, custards (use mashed banana or honey for sweetening), and more.  I make muffins, pancakes and waffles from scratch using almond or coconut flour (not a thing added to those.) 

Lunches are typically chef salads or homemade soups or fish cakes with side salads or dinner leftovers.

Dinners:  a serving of meat/fish/poultry, and 2 or 3 sides/salads of veggies, sometimes fruit.  I use shredded cabbage instead of spaghetti pasta; cauliflower in place of macaroni; sliced zucchini or eggplant instead of lasagna noodles.  We enjoy a huge variety of tasty meals that I never thought of before we cut out processed foods.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN