Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where to start?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'm 38.5 weeks pregnant. I fell two days ago & sprained my ankle.

It made me realize how overweight & out of shape I am. Even pregnant, I should be able to get off the floor, sit comfortably in a regular wheelchair, and use crutches okay.

I HAVE to start a healthier lifestyle ASAP. I know this will be a journey with many hiccups & set backs. What I don't want to do is quit!

Currently: I drink water 90% of the time (but not enough); I eat a good breakfast; My lunch will be better once I can eat lunch meat again; I eat too much at dinner; I eat too late after dinner; I don't exercise.

I just don't even know where to start. If I change everything all at once, I'll quit. I also won't stick to counting calories like some of you do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JustShawna
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Begin by eating a smaller dinner (change the size of plate your family uses to a smaller plate and don't cook as much - most likely if you are eating too much, so is the rest of your family). That's the first step. Once you conquer this, the rest is cakewalk. After you eat (try to eat between five and seven), take a walk with your family. Just a small one. Each step makes a difference. You'll get there mama. Feel free to PM me (or text me - I'll give my number to you in a PM if you want) for help and support. You CAN do this.

ALWsMomma
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Start small, little goals! Maybe while still pregnant you could start just with stretching daily. Listen to your body and make sure you are making healthy food choices when you can. Good luck and congratulations
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
choco_mom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM

yes do baby steps.  Like adding a glass of water with every meal, or set a goal of 5 fruits/veggies thru the day. 

Try eating small snacks an hourish before dinner maybe that will help with the bigger portions.  If you want to snack at night (which I do and won't give up) trying having a yogurt, cheese stick, some almonds, popcorn.  Just pick healthier things to eat in smaller portions.  You can do it with little changes at a time.

Try each friday adding something new to your changes.

TheICanDoctor
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Let me first say that it's great you are recognizing you need to make some changes.  You're so right to take it one step at a time.  That new baby coming will help some of the weight to come off, and you'll need all of your muscles to get that baby out, but you can do it!  Most important thing while you're nursing is to have good nutrition, but babies don't need as much calories of course, so only 300 calories over your maintenance calories.  Do you know what your maintenance calorie amout is? 

Start by walking when your obstatrician says you're able and when you feel up to it.  Ask her advice on amount of and type of exercise but DO exercise in ten minute increments.  Anyone can stand 10 minutes of exercise.  If you do 10 minutes 2-3 times a day it's 30 minutes.

Lastly get yourself a good paperback or app that shows you not just the caloric content of what you're eating, but the glycemic index.  Keep with those foods that are under 50 Glycemic index.  Lowering carbs lowers cravings.

All that being said, how are you taking care of your emotional self?  You deserve a ton of nurturing, just as you will be nurturing your baby.  Take extra special self-care at this time so you are less likely to overeat to feel like you're taking care of yourself.

Be blessed,

Chris

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Welcome to your rock bottom!!  It has to happen, at least for most of us.  But now is the time to start making those changes!

You're right- trying to change too much all at once is a recipe for disaster.  By taking a few small steps at a time, and adding in more and more as you go, you'll keep things realistic and achievable.  You really sound like you have a realistic grasp of the situation- you acknowledge that there will be imperfect times, which is really important.  Too many of us beat ourselves up and crumble over one little mistake.

Like you, I CANNOT stick to counting calories.  I do recommend doing it at least occasionally for a whole day, just to check in with yourself (at least that's what works for me- give it a try, and if it doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you!).  For me, eating clean has worked really well, and it's actually 100% safe (and actually ideal) for pregnancy and breastfeeding (if you opt to go that route).  I have a journal about eating clean (click here).  I have a few others that you might find helpful:

Weight loss tips

What's been working for me

Easy breakfasts (just nice to have more ideas!)

Resources

Read them when you have some time, and take from them what you will.  Find your own path, and do what's realistic for YOU.

One nitpicky suggestion- look for lunchmeats that have no added nitrates.  You have to read the ingredients.  You may or may not be able to find them at a traditional grocery store.  But the nitrates aren't good for anyone, and actually contribute to heart/artery disease.  That goes for any processed meat- bacon, salame, lunch meat, Canadian bacon, etc.  But again, take it a few steps at a time, and do what you can.  I try to find the nitrate-free ones, or roast and slice my own meats.

Good luck, mama!  I hope your ankle heals up soon!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)