Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Why does this happen?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM
  • 5 Replies

Ok I have recently started working out regularly and I am slowly getting into running now a days. Well anyways I just recently started getting a cold. I have a sore throat and runny nose and coughing a little too. This happens every time I start working out after a long period of not working out. Last time I was sick for almost a month. Why does this happen? It annoys me because it interrupts my exercising. :(

Oh another thing I noticed is I get light-headed recently. This hasn't ever happened before. Normally I get a horrible headache that takes forever to go away.

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Silvertears1275
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Are you working out at home or at the gym?  If you're going to the gym, it might be the exposure to new germs.  But if you're working out at home, your immune system might be getting a little run down because your body isn't used to all the exertion.  Once you get used to working out regularly, your immune system will bounce back, I bet.  Use it as motivation to keep working out regularly ;)

krystaldawn_21
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I work out at the gym one day a week and the rest at home and outdoors. It probably is my body feeling run down from all the new work outs. I'm trying to keep up with my exercising so I still walk but its cold again so I'm only running indoors because my asthma acts up in the cold. Makes me feel like I'm going to pass out. I should get an inhaler but I am trying to build up my lungs.

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Are you working out at home or at the gym?  If you're going to the gym, it might be the exposure to new germs.  But if you're working out at home, your immune system might be getting a little run down because your body isn't used to all the exertion.  Once you get used to working out regularly, your immune system will bounce back, I bet.  Use it as motivation to keep working out regularly ;)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

If you have asthma, you NEED a rescue inhaler (usually albuterol), and if exercise exacerbates your asthma, KEEP YOUR INHALER CLOSE BY!!!!!  Asthma kills people.  You can't out-exercise it.  You CAN work through it, but most people, even endurance athletes, that have asthma still need their rescue inhalers.  Even if you only occasionally need it, it's worth it to carry it with you, because you never know when an attack will be serious.

I still run with a head cold, especially if you're running on the TM.  Slow it down a bit, and keep tissues or a hankie handy.

For the light-headedness and headaches, are you eating before you run?  Are you drinking water while you run, and beforehand?

Quoting krystaldawn_21:

I work out at the gym one day a week and the rest at home and outdoors. It probably is my body feeling run down from all the new work outs. I'm trying to keep up with my exercising so I still walk but its cold again so I'm only running indoors because my asthma acts up in the cold. Makes me feel like I'm going to pass out. I should get an inhaler but I am trying to build up my lungs.

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

krystaldawn_21
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:12 AM

I do eat before I go.Usually 30 minutes to an hour before. I drink water constantly while I am working out.

I will go get an inhaler. I haven't ever had an attack so I am going to look up the symptoms. I would rather have the inhaler just in case.

Quoting musicpisces:

If you have asthma, you NEED a rescue inhaler (usually albuterol), and if exercise exacerbates your asthma, KEEP YOUR INHALER CLOSE BY!!!!!  Asthma kills people.  You can't out-exercise it.  You CAN work through it, but most people, even endurance athletes, that have asthma still need their rescue inhalers.  Even if you only occasionally need it, it's worth it to carry it with you, because you never know when an attack will be serious.

I still run with a head cold, especially if you're running on the TM.  Slow it down a bit, and keep tissues or a hankie handy.

For the light-headedness and headaches, are you eating before you run?  Are you drinking water while you run, and beforehand?

Quoting krystaldawn_21:

Quoting Silvertears1275:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Hm.  It might be worth talking to your doctor about the lightheadedness and headache.  Usually those are a fueling issue.

Were you officially diagnosed with asthma?  How did they diagnose it?

Symptoms include difficulty breathing, chest tightness, wheezing, chest pain, dizziness, anxiety, mucus, and coughing.

Quoting krystaldawn_21:

I do eat before I go.Usually 30 minutes to an hour before. I drink water constantly while I am working out.

I will go get an inhaler. I haven't ever had an attack so I am going to look up the symptoms. I would rather have the inhaler just in case.

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting krystaldawn_21:

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN