Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

does anyone know??

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM
  • 9 Replies
How long it should take a beginner/jogger to run a mile? I dont ever run. Well I am attempting it on my treadmill. I did 15 min for a mile. Did walk a bit too. I want to keep going and see how well I can do. I was always horrible at the mile when I was in High school. I wanna prove I can get faster:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Silvertears1275
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM

It really just depends on the person.  I know some people who run a 16 minute mile.  Just keep working on it and you'll get better =)  Have you tried Couch to 5k?  I've just started it.  It might help get your endurance up so that you can start working on speed.

kaycersmom
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I think 15 is good! I don't think there's a normal start point since everyone's endurance and everything is diff to start
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
krystaldawn_21
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Lol I haven't ever been good at running a mile either but like you I am just starting. I actually haven't seen how long it takes me to go a mile yet. Lol probably longer then 15 minutes though. Maybe closer to 20. I will have to see when I run again. Good luck to you and I hope to get to whatever goal you want. :D I personally just want to run a mile without stopping to walk.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM
2 moms liked this

FINISHING is what matters, not time!  Especially when you're starting out.

I think my first miles were about 15:30-16:00.  I would walk and run equal parts, but even when I was actually running most of it, my time was at least a 15m pace.  I was never a runner in high school either- ALWAYS walked most of the mile run (couldn't even complete the first lap/.25 mile).  Who knew I'd be a distance runner in my 30s!??  LOL

You can do it!  Just think how proud you'll be as you get faster and faster and smoke that time!!  =)

woohoo

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Channell07
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:27 AM

^^ What she said.  I can't remember what my first time for my mile was, honestly but I am sure it was probably around 15ish! 

Wife, Momma, Homeschooler, Dog lover, Book Worm, Runner, and Horseback rider.  Love this life of mine! 

Come join me at channellingmyinnerrunner.blogspot.com to follow my journey into running =)

wahmx3
by Shelley on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I exercise some and have been getting back on the treadmill a few times a week....I do a mile right around 15mins, sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more....I think you are doing great! 

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM

not sure- I am not a runner- I don't like it at all and couldn't in school- due to horrible athsma

I walk a mile in just under 20 min though- so it sounds like that is probably a nice - happy  pace?

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I think that whatever your starting time is fine... Oh make sure you have at least a 2% incline... That makes it equal to running outside on a flat ground (was reading that in a running magazine).

childofGod995
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM

on an average a beginner jogger  runs at about 5mph.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)