Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Gaining water weight

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM
  • 4 Replies
I was wondering if anyone has any tips to keep water weight off. I had eclampsia during and after pregnancy, and I keep gaining and losing the same pounds of water.The doctor said it could take a whole year for my hormones to get back to normal and if not I will have to take medications. Has anyone had to deal with this and if so how did you manage?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Silvertears1275
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I have never dealth with eclampsia, but drinking plenty of water every day could help.  Hopefully someone else has better advice!  Good luck!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:36 AM

The biggest factors, diet-wise, are to increase your water and potassium intake, and to lower your refined carb and sodium intake.  This link is a list of high potassium foods, but any fresh fruits and veggies will have potassium in varying levels.  Sodium and potassium work in tandem on a cellular level, so taking in more potassium will in turn lower sodium levels (and if you're filling up on high potassium foods, you're likely taking in less sodium).  Refined carbs, if you aren't already familiar, are things like enriched flours, sugars, starches, etc.  You're better off with whole grains and carbs from produce.  As counterintuitive as it seems, drinking more water, rather than less, will work for you.

Hopefully your hormones will balance out soon!  Eclampsia is SO scary, and magnesium treatments are NOT fun.  Are you still having the symptoms?  Still having seizures?

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

lailaz12345
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Thank you for response, I am not having any  seziures just excessive protein in the urine and water gain. I will have to try eating more potassium and see how it goes.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Have they tested your kidney function?  I'm sure they have, but if not, I'd ask for a test.  Those can be two symptoms of kidney problems, which they could have missed and assumed it was related to the eclampsia.  I hope you are doing better soon!!

Quoting lailaz12345:

Thank you for response, I am not having any  seziures just excessive protein in the urine and water gain. I will have to try eating more potassium and see how it goes.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)