Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Not eating enough calories??

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM
  • 11 Replies

I am probably being prematurely concerned, but here goes.

I started training with my sister at the end of January. Since 2/4 I lost 8.8 pounds, brining me down to 161.4. Now my weight for the past several days has been slowly creeping back up, and I'm back up to 162.8 today. Argh!!

I weigh myself daily, because as we all know, weight can fluctuate, so I check my number in the mornings to just make sure that things are accurate on actual weigh-in days. If I see the same number twice in a row, THEN I record it.

But this is getting to be frustrating, and I'm wondering if maybe I'm not eating enough calories. MFP has me on 1200 cals a day, and I was told that as long as I don't go under that, my body won't hit starvation mode.

I work out between 1.5-2 hours a day. MWF I do zumba, then I train for 45 minutes with her with weights. Then Tues/Thurs/Sat I do a zumba class and run on the treadmill before or after.

I have been eating lower carb/lower fat diet, with a lot of protein (30-45% carbs, 19-30% fat, 35-40% protein).

My stomach doesn't seem to be going down much, although some people have mentioned I look smaller. I'm just getting frustrated here!! I was doing so well and was so encouraged, now this! grrrr....

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HezekiahsMom07
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Forgot to mention, per my body bugg, I usually burn between 2800-3500 calories a day.

rileysmommy229
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:26 PM

NO you aren't eating enough! Have someone here do your BMR for you :-)

eema.gray
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM
2 moms liked this

First, you need your BMR calculated.  MFP almost always sets people at 1200, which is too low for almost everyone.  We'll need your age, height, current weght, and activity level (how many days per week) for that.  You'll get a range of calories within which to stick in order to lose 1 to 2 lbs per week.

Second, if you're going to eat low-ish carb, you MUST eat more fats, not more protein.  Protein without fat will eventually destroy your kidneys.  On a theraputic ketogenic diet (no carbs at all), people eat 80% fat and 20% protein.  I aim for around 100-ish grams of carbohydrate a day.  In any given meal, I will get about a quarter of my calories from carbs, another quarter from protein, and half my calories in that meal from fat.  Our bodies can only handle a finite amount of protein per day; if you cut carbs, you have to increase fat and if you cut fat, you have to increase carbs.  Pick one to go low-ish on and up the other.  :-)

BTW, horray for strength training regularly!  Too many women are afraid of weighs but weights burn fat more efficiently than any other type of exercise.

Sweet_Punk
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM

1200 isn't enough 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

If you are working out 1-2 hours 6 days per week and only eating 1200 calories, you *are* in starvation mode. Your body needs fuel and you are burning through your stores quickly. MFP has a default of 1200 for 90% of the population. How many lbs per week do you have it set for? 

I can do your BMR for you and tell you have to customize MFP to reflect my numbers. I need your age, height, weight and the number of days per week you workout, which I have already. 

You also might need to change up your workouts. Make sure you are working different muscle groups each workout. Good job on the weights! 

What does your diet look like? Would you post a day's menu for me to look at and offer suggestions if necessary? 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

HezekiahsMom07
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I am 27 (28 next month). 5'2, currently 162.5ish.

A typical day for me:

Breakfast: bowl of total whole grain with skim milk, and a protein burger (no bun) or piece of salmon.

Hit the gym. Run 30-40 minutes, then take an hour long zumba. If if is training day, I do an hour long zumba, then get trained for 45 minutes. We alternate upper body, lower body, and full body with weights.

After, I eat two protein burgers, no bun, or some salmon, some chicken, some type of protein.

For a snack I typically eat some shrimp or another piece of chicken (80-125 cals).

Lunch: turkey tacos, or chicken with broccoli,or tuna salad.

If I need another snack I'll eat yogurt or sometimes air popped popcorn with salt, no butter

That sits me around 1200 cals daily.

I talked to my trainer, and she told me to up it to 1500-1800 on the days I work out, and try to stick close to the 1200 on my rest day.

Quoting mcginnisc:If you are working out 1-2 hours 6 days per week and only eating 1200 calories, you *are* in starvation mode. Your body needs fuel and you are burning through your stores quickly. MFP has a default of 1200 for 90% of the population. How many lbs per week do you have it set for? I can do your BMR for you and tell you have to customize MFP to reflect my numbers. I need your age, height, weight and the number of days per week you workout, which I have already. You also might need to change up your workouts. Make sure you are working different muscle groups each workout. Good job on the weights! What does your diet look like? Would you post a day's menu for me to look at and offer suggestions if necessary? 
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting HezekiahsMom07:

A typical day for me:

Breakfast: bowl of total whole grain skim milk, and a protein burger (no bun) or piece of salmon.

Hit the gym. Run 30-40 minutes, then take an hour long zumba. If if it training day, I do an hour long samba, then get trained for 45 minutes. We alternate upper body, lower body, and full body with weights.

After, I eat two protein burgers, no bun, or some salmon, some chicken, some type of protein.

For a snack I typically eat some shrimp or another piece of chicken (80-125 cals).

If I need another snack I'll eat yogurt or sometimes air popped popcorn with salt, no butter

I talked to my trainer, and she told me to up it to 1500-1800 on the days I work out, and try to stick close to the 1200 on my rest day.

Quoting mcginnisc:

If you are working out 1-2 hours 6 days per week and only eating 1200 calories, you *are* in starvation mode. Your body needs fuel and you are burning through your stores quickly. MFP has a default of 1200 for 90% of the population. How many lbs per week do you have it set for? 

I can do your BMR for you and tell you have to customize MFP to reflect my numbers. I need your age, height, weight and the number of days per week you workout, which I have already. 

You also might need to change up your workouts. Make sure you are working different muscle groups each workout. Good job on the weights! 

What does your diet look like? Would you post a day's menu for me to look at and offer suggestions if necessary? 

BMR: 1526

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week: 1526*1.55=2365

To lose 1 lb per week: 2365-500=1865

Your ideal calorie range is 1526-1865 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

Where are the veggies? You need them for proper functioning. Our bodies need: proteins, carbs and fats. You have plenty of protein, but you are lacking good carbs ie fruits and veggies, and healthy fats. Why are you doing such a low carb plan? Even people that follow Paleo have more carbs as they come from natural sources such as produce. 

Claire

HezekiahsMom07
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:30 PM
I want to lose 2 pounds a week...

I eat broccoli. I hate all other veggies. Literally. I do need to hit up the grocery store and buy some fruit though. Maybe like oranges and bananas... I like tomatoes too.

Maybe some nuts?? Or are those protein lol

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting HezekiahsMom07:

A typical day for me:

Breakfast: bowl of total whole grain skim milk, and a protein burger (no bun) or piece of salmon.

Hit the gym. Run 30-40 minutes, then take an hour long zumba. If if it training day, I do an hour long samba, then get trained for 45 minutes. We alternate upper body, lower body, and full body with weights.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Where are the veggies? You need them for proper functioning. Our bodies need: proteins, carbs and fats. You have plenty of protein, but you are lacking good carbs ie fruits and veggies, and healthy fats. Why are you doing such a low carb plan? Even people that follow Paleo have more carbs as they come from natural sources such as produce. 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting HezekiahsMom07:

I eat broccoli. I hate all other veggies. Literally. I do need to hit up the grocery store and buy some fruit though. Maybe like oranges and bananas... I like tomatoes too.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting HezekiahsMom07:

A typical day for me:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Have you tried alternate ways of cooking veggies? Roasting them makes them sweet...just a heads up. You need to try them again and again as you really do need them. I'll tell you what I made tonight and my kids devoured it! ( they hate veggies!). I made coconut rice and added veggies to it. I diced and onion and zucchini and sauteed it with some minced garlic. I put turmeric, curry powder and ground black pepper on them while they cooked. I made some jasmine rice, simmered some coconut milk with 2 cloves whole garlic, drained the rice and added the milk mixture and stirred until creamy. I added the veggies to it after that. I also seasoned pork chops with curry, turmeric and pepper and sauteed them. I served the pork over the rice and drizzled a peanut sauce over it. ( natural pb that I nuked for 1 minute, added soy sauce, ground ginger, turmeric, and curry powder along with a little oil) Seriously, my kids went nuts for it. They ate every drop. I was shocked as was DH. You can also puree veggies and add them to sauces. It would help you get them into your diet. 

Nuts are a fat actually. Healthy fats: coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, nut butters, avocadoes, and ghee ( clarified butter) are all fantastic for you. 

Claire

HezekiahsMom07
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Ewww lol. I hate onions and zucchini and all that. I'd end up forcing myself to choke down a v8 before I could force myself to choke down veggies I have to chew up.

I would probably be able to eat like a raw spinach salad. I like carrots ok too now that I think about it.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting HezekiahsMom07:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting HezekiahsMom07:

A typical day for me:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Have you tried alternate ways of cooking veggies? Roasting them makes them sweet...just a heads up. You need to try them again and again as you really do need them. I'll tell you what I made tonight and my kids devoured it! ( they hate veggies!). I made coconut rice and added veggies to it. I diced and onion and zucchini and sauteed it with some minced garlic. I put turmeric, curry powder and ground black pepper on them while they cooked. I made some jasmine rice, simmered some coconut milk with 2 cloves whole garlic, drained the rice and added the milk mixture and stirred until creamy. I added the veggies to it after that. I also seasoned pork chops with curry, turmeric and pepper and sauteed them. I served the pork over the rice and drizzled a peanut sauce over it. ( natural pb that I nuked for 1 minute, added soy sauce, ground ginger, turmeric, and curry powder along with a little oil) Seriously, my kids went nuts for it. They ate every drop. I was shocked as was DH. You can also puree veggies and add them to sauces. It would help you get them into your diet. 

Nuts are a fat actually. Healthy fats: coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, nut butters, avocadoes, and ghee ( clarified butter) are all fantastic for you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN