Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

white foods

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 9 Replies
What does it mean to cut back on white food sorry if I sound crazy but I'm new to all of this
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
eema.gray
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Generally, foods that are white - white bread/pastry, white potatoes, rice, pasta - are very starchy and not very nutrient dense.  In other words, lots of calories but not very much nutrition.  They are also generally very easy to digest, which means that they turn into glucose quickly, and if you're not active enough to use all the glucose quickly, they get stored as body fat.

Cauliflower is white, but it is NOT one of the white foods to avoid.  There are many varieties of rice that are not white and taste very nice - I particularly like a southeast asian variety called "country red" - it is a glorious rich red color and has wonderful flavor and texture.  Purple yams (asian markets carry them) and sweet potatoes have more nutrition in them than white russet potatoes but if you want a white potato, buy a waxy one like a red or a fingerling, less starchy and therefore someone more dense in terms of nutrition.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM

This! (we so often think alike, eema.gray!)  I just wanted to add a few other healthy white foods:

Onions

Cerery root

Mushrooms

White beans

White potatoes (don't eat them every day, but occasionally is all good- the skin is loaded with potassium!)

Dairy- milk, yogurt, eggs

Garlic

Shallots

White fish- halibut, tilapia, etc.

"White foods" are generally things like refined grains and sugars, at least in this context.

Quoting eema.gray:

Generally, foods that are white - white bread/pastry, white potatoes, rice, pasta - are very starchy and not very nutrient dense.  In other words, lots of calories but not very much nutrition.  They are also generally very easy to digest, which means that they turn into glucose quickly, and if you're not active enough to use all the glucose quickly, they get stored as body fat.

Cauliflower is white, but it is NOT one of the white foods to avoid.  There are many varieties of rice that are not white and taste very nice - I particularly like a southeast asian variety called "country red" - it is a glorious rich red color and has wonderful flavor and texture.  Purple yams (asian markets carry them) and sweet potatoes have more nutrition in them than white russet potatoes but if you want a white potato, buy a waxy one like a red or a fingerling, less starchy and therefore someone more dense in terms of nutrition.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

eema.gray
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Thank you!  I don't have the professional background you do but I like to think I'm capable of understanding a textbook or research paper.  :-)

Quoting musicpisces:

This! (we so often think alike, eema.gray!)  I just wanted to add a few other healthy white foods:

Onions

Cerery root

Mushrooms

White beans

White potatoes (don't eat them every day, but occasionally is all good- the skin is loaded with potassium!)

Dairy- milk, yogurt, eggs

Garlic

Shallots

White fish- halibut, tilapia, etc.

"White foods" are generally things like refined grains and sugars, at least in this context.

Quoting eema.gray:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
paulenegriff
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Thank ya both
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Good luck mama!  These ladies have it right:)

mindie07
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Whole wheat is best.
lashea727
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Is brown foods is better then white foods
eema.gray
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM
Colorful foods are best. :-) We sometimes have an "eat the rainbow" post up asking how many different colors you've eaten.

Quoting lashea727:

Is brown foods is better then white foods

lashea727
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Ok I will try different kinds of foods. I will start my diet next month. I can't wait either
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)