Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

pleao diet

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 14 Replies
what can you eat and not eat? and those that are on it do you allow your self crap every once in a while because that will be my biggest problem.
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Paleo means cutting all processed foods. Period. It also means no dairy, no legumes, no beans, no grains.. there are some that follow Paleo that do allow dairy, but for the most part- no. 

You will find that the ladies in the group that do Paleo do not eat any "crap" foods. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

eema.gray
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I eat red meat:  Bison, elk, goat, lamb, venison, a little beef.  I prefer non-beef red meats because even in commercial production they aren't fed as much grain as beeves are fed.

I eat poultry:  Chicken, duck, turkey, goose

I eat fish:  Cod, haddock, hake, tuna, sardines, mackerel, sole . . . . I keep kosher so things like sword fish are off the menu but most commercially sold fish, I eat.

I eat fats:  Butter, rendered fat from my poultry and red meat, olive oil, coconut oil

I eat veggies:  I limit white potatoes but otherwise eat pretty much everything.

In limited quantities, I eat:  Fruit (I choose to limit because my blood sugars go nuts on too much), seeds, and nuts.  Seeds and nuts trigger obessive eating so I try not to eat them too often and only as a treat.

I do not eat:  ANything made with flour from any grain or bean, legumes, pulses, or rice; seed oils (soybean, corn, etc), sugar (as a generic term for any and all sweeteners).

Due to hypoglycemic issues, I choose to be very strict with sweeteners and fruit.  Not every person needs to but I do.  This is somewhat of a recent realization; I've been eating more rice recently and had a **really** bad hypoglycemic day yesterday.  Only thing different of late has been more rice.  :-(

As far as treats, fruit has become a treat.  If we're out somewhere and I don't have supplies, I will buy a fast food burger or grilled chicken served without a bun.  Salads are also good on the go options but better if you avoid the packaged salad dressing and keep some oil and vinegar with you.

Silvertears1275
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Paleo is simple.  Meat, fruit, vegetables, nuts, fat.  No dairy, grains, legumes (peanuts are legumes, not nuts), sugar, processed foods.

Generally they recommend that you adhere to the guidelines very strictly for 21-30 days, so that your body has time to adjust.  After that, usally the "crap" doesn't even taste good to you and makes you feel gross.

That being said, yes, I do go off plan from time to time.  I have a very hard time on the weekends, because cutting out processed foods means a lot more cooking and planning.  Mark Sisson, the author of The Primal Blueprint, suggests that when you start out that it might help to eat Primal (basically Paleo, but dairy is allowed) 80% of the time.  He does suggest that you make really wise choices about the other 20%, though.  Going out and eating everything you feel like you're missing isn't really recommended =)

roxysmommy
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM

This is me as well. I do not eat any crap 'food', because well, it's not food.

Fruit is my treat as well, since I limit it very strictly.

Quoting eema.gray:

I eat red meat:  Bison, elk, goat, lamb, venison, a little beef.  I prefer non-beef red meats because even in commercial production they aren't fed as much grain as beeves are fed.

I eat poultry:  Chicken, duck, turkey, goose

I eat fish:  Cod, haddock, hake, tuna, sardines, mackerel, sole . . . . I keep kosher so things like sword fish are off the menu but most commercially sold fish, I eat.

I eat fats:  Butter, rendered fat from my poultry and red meat, olive oil, coconut oil

I eat veggies:  I limit white potatoes but otherwise eat pretty much everything.

In limited quantities, I eat:  Fruit (I choose to limit because my blood sugars go nuts on too much), seeds, and nuts.  Seeds and nuts trigger obessive eating so I try not to eat them too often and only as a treat.

I do not eat:  ANything made with flour from any grain or bean, legumes, pulses, or rice; seed oils (soybean, corn, etc), sugar (as a generic term for any and all sweeteners).

Due to hypoglycemic issues, I choose to be very strict with sweeteners and fruit.  Not every person needs to but I do.  This is somewhat of a recent realization; I've been eating more rice recently and had a **really** bad hypoglycemic day yesterday.  Only thing different of late has been more rice.  :-(

As far as treats, fruit has become a treat.  If we're out somewhere and I don't have supplies, I will buy a fast food burger or grilled chicken served without a bun.  Salads are also good on the go options but better if you avoid the packaged salad dressing and keep some oil and vinegar with you.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Paleo is simple.  Meat, fruit, vegetables, nuts, fat.  No dairy, grains, legumes (peanuts are legumes, not nuts), sugar, processed foods.

Generally they recommend that you adhere to the guidelines very strictly for 21-30 days, so that your body has time to adjust.  After that, usally the "crap" doesn't even taste good to you and makes you feel gross.

This is what I do, and "detoxing" from the sugar/grains/processed foods is very important.  I can't even stand the smell of fresh bread now and the sight of cooked pasta makes me nauseous.  I can't ...literally CAN'T even eat pizza made with a crust that has grain flours in it or I'll be sick within 2 hours.  I've had to do 2 rounds of 21 Day Sugar Detox to get to the point where I can easily give up the sweets. I also gave up feeling fatigued, brain fog, mood swings, daily digestive issues, PMS, high blood sugar levels, high cholesterol, eczema and skin rash, hair loss, breaking nails, joint pain, and low energy levels. : )

I do eat some dairy in the form of butter and cheese. 

There are treats that are easy to make following paleo eating guidelines.  I've made cakes/pies/cookies using almond or coconut flours instead of grain flours, and honey for a sweetener.  Dark chocolate (at least 70%, made with clean ingredients) melted with some coconut oil and sprinkled with crushed mint leaves or shredded coconut then  allowed to cool in a pan (chocolate bark) is a yummy treat.

_AshlynNicole
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I had a paleo diet book on my iPad, but turns out apple locks their books so I can't read it on my nook! Anywho, I'm still interested in the diet so I'm about to do some research on it!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Silvertears1275:

This is what I do, and "detoxing" from the sugar/grains/processed foods is very important.  I can't even stand the smell of fresh bread now and the sight of cooked pasta makes me nauseous.  I can't ...literally CAN'T even eat pizza made with a crust that has grain flours in it or I'll be sick within 2 hours.  I've had to do 2 rounds of 21 Day Sugar Detox to get to the point where I can easily give up the sweets. I also gave up feeling fatigued, brain fog, mood swings, daily digestive issues, PMS, high blood sugar levels, high cholesterol, eczema and skin rash, hair loss, breaking nails, joint pain, and low energy levels. : )

There are treats that are easy to make following paleo eating guidelines.  I've made cakes/pies/cookies using almond or coconut flours instead of grain flours, and honey for a sweetener.  Dark chocolate (at least 70%, made with clean ingredients) melted with some coconut oil and sprinkled with crushed mint leaves or shredded coconut then  allowed to cool in a pan (chocolate bark) is a yummy treat.

Oh yeah!  I also lost 24 pounds effortlessly.

Hunnybadgerkins
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:18 PM
If im cheating I eat brown rice or lentils. Rarely ice cream if im killing for some. Not much cheating otherwise.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I have google search the shit out of this diet and almost everything is vauge or let me show you this this and this person and you can buy their weight loss secret for the low low price of 79.99. is there anywhere you can point me to that i can read up on it. botht he reg diet and detox? 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Silvertears1275:

eema.gray
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM

The 21 day sugar detox, you can read about on balancedbites.com.  The book/meal plan costs about 7 or eight bucks.

The paleo diet, you can read tons of books and websites for free.  Google Loren Cordian, Robb Wolf, Mark Sisson, and Gary Taubes for lots of free info.  They promote their books of course but have much explanatory material posted on line.

Quoting Hanab818:

I have google search the shit out of this diet and almost everything is vauge or let me show you this this and this person and you can buy their weight loss secret for the low low price of 79.99. is there anywhere you can point me to that i can read up on it. botht he reg diet and detox? 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Silvertears1275:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN