Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice needed for weightloss

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 14 Replies

Okay, so I have to lose weight, as I have been told multiple times I am overweight, and would like to be healthy. I've tried work out videos but life always gets so busy and I just know how to go about losing weight I've always been fairly active. Is there any advice or tips you can give me? Also I would like an accountability partner to help me keep on it, I would return the favor of course. I've only ever had to lose weight once before in middle school, an I did it in a terrible way, I refuse to fall back into habits that almost got me killed... I'm better than that. Help?

Psalm 147:3

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up our wounds

Have a great day and be blessed.

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ALWsMomma
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Make little goals. One day at a time. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

My advice to every woman who has trouble finding time to exercise is to exercise WITH your kids.  Especially starting out, because you can do work outs geared for children to build up your stamina and have **FUN** and as you get stronger, you can do more and more difficult stuff.

One of the first things I started doing was the workout of the day (WOD) posted to the cross fit kids website.  I was doing the preschool level skills, LOL.  Now, I'm capable of doing the high school level workouts.  I also started doing yoga for kids videos on youtube.  My kids would do them with me.  They still do what they're capable of doing, while I do faster more advanced work.  It sets a precident for your children, they associate exercise with family time and also having fun.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  I'd also make a post in the main forum, because it gets more traffic.  =)

I have a journal with some weight loss tips here that might give you some ideas.  I have another here with some resources listed.

Have you thought about your food choices yet?  That part is about 80% of the battle.

From there, finding exercise that you enjoy is important.  Think outside the box- a dance class, hiking, raking leaves, they all count!  It doesn't have to be limited to lifting weights and pounding away at a treadmill.

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

doulala
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:04 AM

Eating habits are really important.   How is your diet?

childofGod995
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:56 PM

i noticed that you had mentioned in your weight loss tips that you should not have meal replacements or shakes. can i ask why that is?

celena.vincent
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Do you still need an accountability partner??? Count me in if you do!! I need one too!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Part of the journey is learning how to create healthy habits.  Meal replacements are a temporary fix to a permanent issue.  Plus, most of them are too low in calories.  They're also highly processed, and you just plain cannot get the same nutrition from meal replacements or shakes that you can (and need to get) from real foods.

Quoting childofGod995:

i noticed that you had mentioned in your weight loss tips that you should not have meal replacements or shakes. can i ask why that is?

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

childofGod995
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:14 AM

i find that interesting information because i have friends that have at least one or more a day just to save money. they have lost weight and one of them work for Herbalife.blank stare

marjen1963
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I lost 10 lbs this month with Skinny Fiber an all natural weight loss product. If you want to know more about then PM me and I can give you more details.

Anoronlight
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Exercise is the first step, but change your eating habits if you haven't already. Eggs are a great snack, along with nuts and fruits. You can hard boiled the eggs and that works wonders. I'm trying a more clean eating diet. I've ditched the breads, a lot of sauces, and eating more fruits and veggies and proteins.

Try walking for starters or if you have a bike that works great. I also do the CanYou24 Workout dvd, love it, its a workout in 24 minutes and I'm a mommy who runs literally all the time because I have an autistic kid who has appointments and a 3 year old who keeps me going and a before/after school day care kid and my own appointments.

If you are looking for something to do in the workout area that will will be quick and still get results, that would be something I would suggest, that or something similar.

As far as accountability partner...I don't mind being one for you. But the thing I found that has been helpful is keeping a blog. I have one on Wordpress...I make it a habit to post EVERY day on it and it works great. I suck at staying on track and what not. lol Also there are some links I can get you if you want some good sources for clean eating. I'm also trying a low carb in there too. And there is a really good link for someone who does a site called Peace, Love and Low Carb. Love it!! She's also on facebook and has her own cookbook out now.

Just take it slow, make realistic goals and don't fret. Besides remember you want to lose slow, not fast. If you lose fast, you will gain it back, if you lose slow you have a better chance of keeping it off. I've been at it since Jan. and I have just recently hit my 20lb mark, it took a while its gettin gettin there!

Hang in there! if you want to talk let me know! :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)