Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

My confession- eating better :)

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM
  • 8 Replies
2 moms liked this

A couple months ago I changed my eating habits drastically. I barely ever drink soda anymore and my portion sizes have shrunk like crazy.
I'm eating more fruits and veggies and, slowly but surely, my stomach and face has been getting noticably slimmer! =D (I have no camera, I'd post pics of progress =/ )

No way in hell I could eat the way I did before. I'd inhale seconds, thirds, even fourths of a meal. I grew up addicted to eating. I grew up on nothing but pizza, burgers, french fries, soda, etc.
(side note- my dad was always a healthy eater, but my mom never cared at all. who is a kid gonna listen to? their dad saying "here, have some cottage cheese and carrots!" or their mom who is handing them a plate full of pizza?)
I used to make a game of cleaning up after dinner- I would shovel as much food down my throat as possible before anyone walked into the kitchen and caught me. 

If I ate the portions I did before, I would get so sick it's not even funny. I'm disgusted when I look back at what I used to consider "small meals" or even "snacks".
Snacks used to be, for me, a couple hot dogs or a huge sandwich- in other words, snacks meant another meal.  
Now, snacks mean a little cup of cottage cheese with fruit mixed in. Whole grain wheat bread is all we eat.

Best of all I am THRILLED my daughter LOVES fruits and veggies now!!! Changing my own eating has changed hers, too. she absolutely loves broccoli (she seriously inhales that stuff lol), fresh fruit makes her insanely happy, yogurt, cottage cheese, apples, all that. she even eats spinach sometimes.

I have so much more energy and am starting to fit into clothes that were too tight before. My pants are falling off me. It's made me, in my mind, a better mother. My daughter and I can be healthy eaters together <3 lol

one day a week I have a "cheat day"- still eat what I want but  in small portions. It works.

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ambermario4ever
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats! It is an amazing feeling when your clothes start falling off because they are too big for you. 

ACDC_fan
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes it feels awesome!!! I don't feel like a greasy blob anymore lol.
next week i am hitting up goodwill for "new" pants haha 

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Congrats! It is an amazing feeling when your clothes start falling off because they are too big for you. 

ambermario4ever
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I just had to get some new pants as well I got some at platos closet and some off eBay.

Quoting ACDC_fan:

Yes it feels awesome!!! I don't feel like a greasy blob anymore lol.
next week i am hitting up goodwill for "new" pants haha 

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Sarah      10-16-06                                     Luciano 11-27-08

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Woo hoo, mama!!  You sound like you're on the right track, and it's fantastic that your daughter is making healthy choices!  My son is the same way, and this mama couldn't be more thrilled! 

Goodwill is such an awesome asset when we're on this journey- I know I've given and taken my share from there along the way!

Keep it up!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

ACDC_fan
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM

thank you! I don't want her growing up, eating the way I did. yeesh. lol
I'm proud of myself for sticking to it even this long 

Quoting musicpisces:

Woo hoo, mama!!  You sound like you're on the right track, and it's fantastic that your daughter is making healthy choices!  My son is the same way, and this mama couldn't be more thrilled! 

Goodwill is such an awesome asset when we're on this journey- I know I've given and taken my share from there along the way!

Keep it up!!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I feel ya- I grew up making some pretty poor decisions myself.  I used to spend most of my paper route money on chocolate from the local video store.  Yikes!!  Plus, I'd just PLOW through food.  My son has my appetite, so I am doing everything in my power to help him learn about portions and what's healthy, what's not, and what's good in moderation, etc. 

Change is tough, but it sure helps when you feel better in so many ways!!  Makes it easier to stick with it!  I feel like absolute CRAP when I eat absolute crap.  Hmm, correlation??  LOL

Quoting ACDC_fan:

thank you! I don't want her growing up, eating the way I did. yeesh. lol
I'm proud of myself for sticking to it even this long 

Quoting musicpisces:

Keep it up!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

raynesmommy1
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Congrats honey.

MommaChelleB
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM

That's awesome! Isnt it amazing how when we change our eating habits for the better, how it greatly impacts our children to eat healthier as well? My kids are loving that we are picking out healthier foods for our kitchen and that we are exercising and getting healthier.

I think its very good that you allow yourself 1 day as your "cheat day" with portion control. My husbands meal plan allows him the same thing (he's doing the Chris Powell challenge), with his free day on the last day of his week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)