Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help please

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hey everyone, I'm a mother of 3 girls 5,2, 9 months and I can't seem to lose any weight , I love food! And I'm getting married this sept. and I seriously need to fit into my dress and nothing I am doing is helping, I've tried pills, workout videos, walking, calorie counting, please help

my doc said I'm borderline diabetic and I need to lose weight now, I'm only 26! Please help with any tips or advice ar anything! Thanks

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Welcome to the group! 

First off- no pills... hope you are no longer on them. :-) 

What seems to be the issue? Are you having a problem sticking with it- dvds, counting calories? 

How did you track calories? How many were you eating daily? What are you eating daily? How much water do you drink? What kind of dvds have you tried? 

Once I know where you are starting from, it will help me help you. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

Melagrom
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I'm using the calorie counter for iPad, it has me at 1200 calories on a daily intake bbase the DVDs.... Insanity it's hard but I still try to do what I can, my weight is high and it's all in my stomach area I'm 5'6 

and I need to lose it so I can fit into my wedding dress in sept, is that enough time if all I do I walk?

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Melagrom:

I'm using the calorie counter for iPad, it has me at 1200 calories on a daily intake bbase the DVDs.... Insanity it's hard but I still try to do what I can, my weight is high and it's all in my stomach area I'm 5'6 

and I need to lose it so I can fit into my wedding dress in sept, is that enough time if all I do I walk?

Ok..

I don't know about that calorie counter, but I would suggest this one: www.myfitnesspal.com. I would also recommend that you let me calculate your BMR and find out your actual calorie range... I'm betting that 1200 is too low for you..heck it is too low for me and I'm 5'1", 37 and 129 lbs. I need your age, height, weight and the number of days per week you workout. If you feel more comfortable pming me the info, that is fine. :-) 

Insanity is not for beginners, so I would not recommend it at all if you are just starting out with exercise. There are much better beginner programs like the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, Turbo Jam and believe it or not, P90X as everything can be modified, whereas Insanity cannot be modified. Walking is fine, but you probably won't have an effective weight loss if that is all that you do. I would suggest that you do strength training 2-3x per week and cardio at least 4x per week. This will give you an effective weight loss. 

Diet- eat as cleanly as possible, in other words- ditch processed foods and eat whole sources, such as lean proteins, produce, whole grains, dairy, and drink a lot of water. 

Let me know if I can help you.. I've been on my own journey and am currently in the process of getting my Personal Trainer Certifications. 

Claire

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

What are you eating your calories in? Food choices make a big different as well... You are probably eating too little calories as well.

ambermario4ever
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Only drink water. Cut out all sweets. Eat smaller portions and plenty of fruits and veggies. Count you calories and make sure you exersise. I started my journey the last week of oct. 2012 and I have lost 51.5 pounds so far. 

childofGod995
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM

i also am borderline diabetic and my doctor told me the same thing. my biggest problem was that i did more eating during the day and drank barely any water if any at all. exercise is also important so i go to the gym starting next week for about 5 to 6 days out of the week. i have tried everything you have until i decided to cut back on the sweets especially and the night eating. i am almost completely done with being what they call a sleep eater. you know, you get up in the middle of the night fix something for yourself to eat and get in the bed with it and eat it while you are sleeping. this is a good way to choke and believe me i have done some choking a few times. when i realized that i really wanted to lose weight and not just talk about it, then i started doing something about it. boy in the past my food bill sky rocketed. now i am satisfied with one or two protein drinks in a day and a regular meal. i myself have about 50 pounds to lose, but the way i look at it is, i do things in small goals and i celebrate after losing 5 pounds at a time except no food for treats. perhaps just something nice for myself. have you ever thought of talking to a nutritionist about your problem? i belong to a group called Take Off Pounds Sensibly and that helps. and by the way, if you want some serious weight loss tips,you can also go to http://www.sparkpeople.com/ and they have teams there also that you can join that will help you out. try it, it might help.

Melagrom
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Yes sorry it's called my fitness pal

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Quoting Melagrom:

Ok.. I know that one very well. LOL 

Are you eating back the exercise calories it gives you? That is very important. Also, 1200 is going to be too low.. MFP has a default for just about everyone. It is also designed for you to eat back exercise calories as this gives you a 500 calorie deficit daily and a 1 lb weekly loss. 

I would definitely get your BMR calculated. I can do it and then tell you how to customize it to my numbers and how to use my numbers properly. 

Claire

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Melagrom:

Ok.. I know that one very well. LOL 

Are you eating back the exercise calories it gives you? That is very important. Also, 1200 is going to be too low.. MFP has a default for just about everyone. It is also designed for you to eat back exercise calories as this gives you a 500 calorie deficit daily and a 1 lb weekly loss. 

I would definitely get your BMR calculated. I can do it and then tell you how to customize it to my numbers and how to use my numbers properly. 

I'm glad Claire has been able to give you some guidance!  Have her calculate your BMR for you- it truly is a better measurement of how many calories you need for the day.

If all you do is walk each day, if you're eating PERFECTLY, you will likely see changes in your weight, but including strength in there, and getting in heart-pumping cardio will make big differences.  Tackle what you can right now- you don't have to change everything rightthisveryminute, ya know?  But the food is 80% of the battle, so starting with that and walking is a great idea.  Eating cleanly will make a BIG difference- it's helped me significanly, and most members of the group are doing at least some version of it.  I have a journal with the basics here

I'm a serious overeater, and I grew up with everything surrounding food.  This is the one method that really spoke to me, really made a lot of sense.  So far it's been wonderful, and I've been eating this way for 3 years.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

wahmx3
by Shelley on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely take Claire and Suzannes advice....get your bmr calculated and started eating more....more of the right foods....fruits, veggies, lean proteins, dairy, whole grains and LOTS of water. Counting calories will definitely help, I would bet in the past it didn't work as you were trying to stick to a low number that you just couldn't keep up for long... it is very important for your entire body to get the nutrients you need. Have your whole family included in the exercise....push a stroller, push the children on swings, run around after them in a park, don't just sit and watch, dance together, etc etc. Make healthy eating a family affair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)