Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Snack cravings!

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:12 AM
  • 16 Replies
How do you ladies deal with snack cravings? I love salty, crunchy snacks, but have mostly completely cut them out for the last month. Then yesterday I ate a whole order of French fries because I was craving them. I felt life I ruined all of my hard work... I've been really struggling with cravings the last couple of days. How do you ladies deal with it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I have not cut a single thing out, so I don't have the raging cravings.  Completely eliminating foods that you enjoy is setting yourself up for failure---you need to learn to balance the foods you should be eating with the foods you want to be eating.

And last time I checked,  a whole order of fries isn't that terrible.  It may ruin your calorie count for the day, but it won't ruin all your hard work. 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Indulging occasionally is okay... as long as you use self control. 

The best thing is to not have things in the house that are triggers. Brushing your teeth, using mouthwash, doing jumping jacks/squats or some other exercise will help as well. Another thing to do is have things in the house that are healthy options- nuts, nut butters, veggies and hummus, string cheese...I weigh my food out so that I know I'm only eating a serving size and not just plowing through a box of crackers or something else. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

This.  Brushing my teeth after lunch is what works for me as afternoons are my trigger times!  Hugs mama!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Indulging occasionally is okay... as long as you use self control. 

The best thing is to not have things in the house that are triggers. Brushing your teeth, using mouthwash, doing jumping jacks/squats or some other exercise will help as well. Another thing to do is have things in the house that are healthy options- nuts, nut butters, veggies and hummus, string cheese...I weigh my food out so that I know I'm only eating a serving size and not just plowing through a box of crackers or something else. 

MommaChelleB
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

With my husbands meal plan, he is allowed his 'free day' to eat anything he wants (with portion control). He uses that day for any cravings he has had all week, its his reward day. He explains it like this "When your body gets used to the diet (or meal plan you eat every day), your body tends to plateau because it's used to those foods. So when you eat what you want on that 7th day, your body is like woah what just happened". It's like exercising, your body gets used to the same exercise over and over which is why you need to change things up every now and then so your body has to work harder for that change.

Now, he's still going to eat a healthier version of the food that he wants - such as spaghetti. We use multi-grain pasta, ground turkey, and a no sugar added pasta sauce (tried to find a low sodium one but they didnt have any - may have to start making my own sauces), instead of a regular pasta with ground beef.

If he craves french fries or something salty like that, maybe bake some frozen ones, or make our own with potatos for a healthier alternative to fried or fast food fries :)

mrsrodgers0703
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Thank you everyone!
mrsrodgers0703
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Awesome! I got featured lol.
lizard3731
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:03 PM
2 moms liked this

In the past, when I've tried to lose weight, I got into trouble with cravings.  It's worth trying to count out one serving of something you crave, but I have a hard time stopping.  Currently, I keep telling myself, "Nothing tastes as good as it feels to be thin."  So far, I've lost 12.5 pounds and haven't cheated.

mindie07
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM

U should cut it out. My main advice is not even go their! Don't place yourself in that situation. You and your whole family need to try to change if not then it will be hard because of them bringing the bad food near you.

good luck.

If u do go to fast food get a chicken wrapped in letus or turkey burger in letus...it is good' but doesn't sound it

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:12 AM

You have to determine whether having a small portion is going to satisfy you, or if it will lead to you gorging on lots of whatever the trigger foods are.

When I first started out, I had to completely cut out trigger foods and sugar.  For several months, none.  But seriously, I didn't even miss them after a few days.

Now, it's been 3 years, and I've allowed some foods back in (which really, I regret), and there are some foods that are still trigger foods that I have to stay away from or I'll inhale the whole package and want to buy more.  But really, letting foods back in feels like it has more drawbacks than benefits.  I didn't feel deprived when I said no to it all, and my tastes have changed so much that sweet stuff only has so much appeal, and most sweets are still way too sweet.

What about popcorn?  I try to make healthy choices about what I snack on, like carrots and hummus, cherry tomatoes, berries, Greek yogurt and berries, nuts, grapes, etc.  I never take the whole container with me- portion it out into a bowl.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

I_need_a_name
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I have a panic button lol. Cravings usually last about 20 minutes...if you can pass that 20 minutes then youre awesome lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN