Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

White Sugar is comparable to crack?

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:48 PM
  • 14 Replies

Do you agree, white table sugar is comparable to an addiction like crack, heroine, alcoholism etc?
Have you seen this amazing movie? It's a free one on Netflix

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviasMommy611
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM
It's addictive, I think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidyns_mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM
No, you don't die from it, you don't lose your friends and family because it, you can drive while eating/drinking it. Oh and it is not illegal.

I do agree it isn't a healthy option like an apple or banana though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silvertears1275
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I need to find some time to watch that...

But I have to say yes and no... it is highly addictive, but not quite on par with crack or other drugs as far as the damage done to your life in general.

PeregrineWaltz
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Apples and bananas still have sugar in them, so you are still feeding the addiction. I don't think sugar is as dangerous as cocaine but it makes a point.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

No, you don't die from it, you don't lose your friends and family because it, you can drive while eating/drinking it. Oh and it is not illegal.

aidyns_mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Ok, so we shouldn't eat or feed our kids natural fruits either?

They have natural sugar.

Quoting PeregrineWaltz:

Apples and bananas still have sugar in them, so you are still feeding the addiction. I don't think sugar is as dangerous as cocaine but it makes a point.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM

For every fruit my kids eat, they eat at least three or four veggies.  [SHRUG]

But they inherit a very grim family history of blood sugar disorders so I try to avoid sugar in any form for them.  It's a fine balance.  The insulin produced to deal with sugar and carbohydrate digetion to glucose is also a growth hormone.  Children need it to reach full genetic potential.  But the highs and lows of too much sugar in too processed a form can cause a disordered metabolism as early as puberty.  We have cakes for birthdays and for a few other special occasions throughout the year, fruit once or twice a week, and veggies as a carbohydrate source the rest of the time.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

They have natural sugar.

Quoting PeregrineWaltz:

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
aidyns_mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM
I respect that. We eat fruit all day everyday, and veggies. There is no "balance" per say. It is what we feel like eating at the time.

Everyone eats different, but growing up with people who have REAL addictions I think it is silly to compare the two.

Maybe that is just me.

Quoting eema.gray:

For every fruit my kids eat, they eat at least three or four veggies.  [SHRUG]

But they inherit a very grim family history of blood sugar disorders so I try to avoid sugar in any form for them.  It's a fine balance.  The insulin produced to deal with sugar and carbohydrate digetion to glucose is also a growth hormone.  Children need it to reach full genetic potential.  But the highs and lows of too much sugar in too processed a form can cause a disordered metabolism as early as puberty.  We have cakes for birthdays and for a few other special occasions throughout the year, fruit once or twice a week, and veggies as a carbohydrate source the rest of the time.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

They have natural sugar.

Quoting PeregrineWaltz:

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I believe that added sugars and most of the foods that they're in are incredibly addictive.  People actually go through withdrawals when they abstain from sugar (at least for a few days)! 

I haven't seen that movie yet, but I probably should! 

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

PeregrineWaltz
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM

No, I'm all for fruit. When  I watched the show all I could do was think about my advanced organic chemistry classes and want to scream. Sugar being like cocaine is a scare tactic for your brain. But saying you won't consume any sugars is far fetched in my mind.  I'm on the as little processed food as possible bandwagon, but that doesn't stop me from buying a loaf of bread from the local bakery.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

They have natural sugar.

Quoting PeregrineWaltz:

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

eema.gray
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:10 PM

There is some good information in it but it's heavily biased in favor of plant based diets.  Which is weird because one of the people interviewed is Dr. Al Sears, creator of "the zone" diet which isn't necessarily plant based.  Just heads up.  :-)

Quoting Silvertears1275:

I need to find some time to watch that...

But I have to say yes and no... it is highly addictive, but not quite on par with crack or other drugs as far as the damage done to your life in general.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)