Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

An 8 yr old told me she is on a diet :(

Posted by   + Show Post
I hate that!!! I took my dd to her friends birthday party and she wanted me to stay so I helped the mom dish out cake and ice cream. One of the little girls told me she wasn't allowed to have cake so just give her the ice cream. Then she looked at me and said "grandma says I'm on a diet." :(. She lives with her grandparents and she has a belly so I bet its true. She isn't terribly overweight, she would probably be long and lean in a few months just from playing hard outside.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
momof3jam
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

OMFG I went to my goddaughters birthday party last year (9th) and some of her classmates said "I DON'T EAT CAKE - TOO MUCH TRANS FATS"

I couldn't believe it. That's not something a kid comes up with on their own...

emelymac
by Emely on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:49 PM
That's sad. I come from a family with no filter so growing up everytime I saw a relative the first words out of their mouths were about how big I was. To this day I hear fat jokes from my father on a regular basis. It just annoys me that adults do these things to children and then take no responsibility when the child grows up with body image issues.
lovebugs_mom906
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM
My daughter is one of those kids who has a belly, and I'm working hard to get her to be more active and eat right. Shes not teribbly overweight, but could be if i didnt fo anything. But, I would never dream of telling her she needed to lose weight, or be in a diet. In fact, I won't even talk about her weight with the doctor with her around. I think it's terrible to make child feel so conscious about their looks at such a young age.
EiuGirl316
by Leah on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM

That's so sad. :-(

calsmom62
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Quite a few of the young girls in our boys' circles are on diets, because they think they are too fat or want to look good for boys. and we have heard these comments since around age six or seven.
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM
I feel okay about myself as a person, but my terrible eating habits have led to me gaining 50 pounds in my 9 year marriage, and I wasn't thin to start. It's out of control. I'm really hoping once the baby arrives I can once and for all get serious about some changes.

Quoting musicpisces:

=(  I'm sorry you had to deal with that.  What a horrible way to give a kid a complex!!  Parents don't see how they're setting their kids up for awful body image issues and weight problems later, because they eat for a sense of control.  I think that's part of why I would sneak buying chocolate when my parents were at work.  I hope you feel better about yourself now!  =)

Quoting lillybug222:

That was me as a kid. I remember my mom starting me on diets when I was 7 or 8. And buying me exercise tapes & a stair stepper for Christmas. I never wanted any of it & contribute a big part of me being overweight to the choices she made when I was a kid. Don't get me wrong, as an adult, it's up to me. But my overrating & binge eating habits started because of my mom--I was just a little kid.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
big_red05
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Childhood obesity is one of those things nobody wants to talk about.. Maybe her parents should have talked to her about it a little differently BUT the truth is Diet IS a huge part of it NOT just exercise! She needs to learn to eat healthy because you can't out exercise a Bad diet EVEN as a kid! After watching bl this season with the overweight kids they wished their parents had made a stand a lot earlier in their lives as they had a very hard time growing up overweight
annelauer
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:40 AM
That's terrible!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:11 AM

That is so sad:(

wahmx3
by Shelley on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I was thinking the same thing....when we were kids (or at least when I was as I am likely way older than most of you) we played outside all year long, no matter the weather. Kids just aren't doing that anymore....too much tv time and electronics are taking over their lives. Yes, I agree she shouldn't be on a "diet" but unless she changes some things now, she will be an overweight teen like so many other teens around the country. It is easy to say that she shouldn't be on a diet but she needs to make some changes and better choices in her life. Grandma needs to learn some better terminology....healthier eating, lifestyle changes etc. My 16 year old weighs about 20 pounds more than me and we are about the same height. She exercises more than I do (or at least she did) as she plays ringette and had a 70 minute gym class first semester in school and it didn't help her to lose any weight. For most kids...they need to change their eating habits.

Quoting big_red05:

Childhood obesity is one of those things nobody wants to talk about.. Maybe her parents should have talked to her about it a little differently BUT the truth is Diet IS a huge part of it NOT just exercise! She needs to learn to eat healthy because you can't out exercise a Bad diet EVEN as a kid! After watching bl this season with the overweight kids they wished their parents had made a stand a lot earlier in their lives as they had a very hard time growing up overweight

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN