Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Plateau already?!

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have always juggled with my weight. I am over it now. I cant continue to juggle. I am uncomfortable in my own skin. And I have had enough. With that being said, I have gone from sitting on the couch, with minimal exercise to working out in a gym 5 days a week. Swimming, treadmill, elliptical, and so on. I have really honed in on portion control, cutting out soda and junk food...altogether. Ive done well mentally with it. I'm not finding myself going crazy because I cant have ice cream, and I love that. I journal everything I take in.

Here's my problem. I'm not losing any weight. In fact, I gained 8 pounds. And it has been MONTHS. I know I wont see results right away, but I haven't even lost a pound. I'm feeling very defeated. Whats the point if Im going to stay at this hideous weight? Ive been to the doctor and tested my thyroid, its fine. She says that I could be gaining muscle weight. Um, wouldn't I lose the fat around the muscle BEFORE I gain weight from building that muscle up? Muscle that you cant see? I look the same. I don't get it...I'm at a loss. Any ideas? Advice?

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
swtlyinny
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Don't really have any advise, just wanted to let you know your not alone... I dropped 25 lbs in a month, then boom it all of a sudden stopped!!! Not just slowed down, stopped and gained. Same as you working out 6 days a week ( I'm actually training for the Susan G. Komen 3day 60mile walk) that hasn't changed, eating hasn't changed... frustrating to say the least!!!

I have had a couple people tell me, that I'm not eating enough... like I put my body in starvation mode with cutting calories and exercising.

I'm not too keen on adding more calories, but what's it gonna hurt at this point.... Oh and your doc could be right, muscle does weigh more than fat, but you should see little changes in your body... How do your clothes fit!?!?!? Are they a little looser? a little bagging in the butt or thighs? Have to change which clamp you use on your bra? Next hole of your belt? Anything little like that is a good change and showing progress!

Keep it up tho even when it's frustrating!!

AndyRoosMom
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM

No changes. No baggy clothing, no changes in bra fit or pants, nothing. I could see my doctors point if I had seen any changes. But let me tell you, I havent even lost one pound since I started. And I track my intake with an app I have and so if I need more food, it tells me....Im just at a loss. Except where my weight is concerned.

lildonsmommy
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:39 PM
This is my problem to.... Are you eating and drink water enough? I know that's my problem.

Quoting AndyRoosMom:

No changes. No baggy clothing, no changes in bra fit or pants, nothing. I could see my doctors point if I had seen any changes. But let me tell you, I havent even lost one pound since I started. And I track my intake with an app I have and so if I need more food, it tells me....Im just at a loss. Except where my weight is concerned.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ATG499
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Take measurements. It very well could be muscle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM

How many calories are you eating?

also, muscle takes less space than fat (If I remember right) so you should still see a difference in measurements. I will say though, that for me the measurements took awhile at first to show- like I'd lose a half inch or something, but nothing big until the last couple of months (and 50ish lbs gone)

are you taking meds that could be causing it or anything?

Momma-Bearof3
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I'd thought I'd offer a tidbit from my husband who recently lost about 80 lbs. when he would plateau he would change something in his diet. His philosophy is its all in what and how u eat. He eats extremely well. He also eats every 2-3 hrs with less sugars ( ex sugars from fruits, no juices, wheat everything..) he drinks nothing but water. Even found Gatorade has way too much sugar. Anyways, just by changing something small.. Less breads or more protein or a different protein he has lost these 80 lbs that took 10 years to pack on. I hope this helps u in anyway. Also he finds reads the internet religiously. Always trying to find healthier ways to help him be in the best shape. Last tidbit, he says find more natural foods to boost metabolism. He eats grapefruit 2x a day. Before his big meals and before he hits the gym. That has helped trremendously. Good luck to u and don't get down about it. Research and did ways for eating healthy(not diet) and workouts work for u. Don't follow the trends. They don't work for all. I'm with u girl, I'm currently looking to lose 75-100 lbs and he's helping me a lot. It's all in what u eat :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ashley9603
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I have been stuck at 130-135 for 6 months.I dont need to lose anymore persay,but its odd that I cant lose anymore.I need to drink more water.Im terrible with that.I run 3-4 days a week and I know that I need to drink more.I have lost a total of 75 pounds,I calorie cycle and do alot of other things to keep my body guessing.....maybe switch up your workouts?I am considering the insanity program to do besides lifting and running.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN