Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Work out belts!??

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM
  • 7 Replies
You know, that really thick strap belt you wrap around your belly - Does this work ?? I just feel it pulls my stomach down once I get really sweaty as it rises up
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Are you talking about a weight lifting belt, or something that's supposed to shrink your waist?  I'm not a fan of either.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Same ^

My understanding is that weight lifting belts can be helpful in protecting your back if you are going for a super heavy one rep max or something....

itsm3
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM

not sure what you mean here... the one for lifting (ie. it's wider at the back) or a belt that can  hold your stuff during a workout?

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I saw this post on myfitnesspal this morning so I thought I'd copy here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/932695-deadlift-belt

If you get a belt, get one that is 4" all the way around and 10mm thick, leather. Do not get the kind that is wider in the rear. You can use it for every lift - just the heaviest set or two. It will give your belly something to press out against, giving you a very stiff core, and the result is that you will be able to lift a little more. It's not a requirement. You don't have to ever use one. I have one and I like it a lot.

Do not add a belt until you feel your form is decent. They are not a cure for bad form.

Rippetoe has a little blurb on them in the Squats chapter of Starting Strength.

In the scheme of things, shoes are more important than belt. Make sure you have appropriate shoes, even if that means just Chuck Taylors or barefoot.

Here's Wendler's blurb http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/training-and-fashion/

Edit: found the Rippetoe excerpt as well. Thank you, Internets! http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=34795

If that's not at all what you're talking about, ignore! lol

bloodytears1986
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM

If you're talking about a weight lifting belt, my trainer told me not to use one. I had a trainer a couple years ago and she told me that weight belts are no good because you depend on the belt too much and it does not focus on keeping your core tight. I don't know if the rules have changed on that, like I said that was a year or two ago. Someone else may have a better take on it, this is only what I was told so I thought I would add it.

MinniesMama
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM
No it's not those , I believe it's called a abdominal sweat belt
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Only for postpartum... But it's wasnt a real sweat belt.

Quoting MinniesMama:

No it's not those , I believe it's called a abdominal sweat belt

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN