Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How healthy/not healthy is this diet?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hello,

I'm new here.  My husband is the one I am asking about.  He used to eat really healthy - lots of fruits & veggies (more veggies than anything else), and 1-2 servings of meat per day (no more than 2 times of red meat), & limited eggs to 2-4 a week (he believed they lead to high cholestoral if you eat too many).

3 weeks ago he started this 'diet' all of a sudden.  He now eats only meat, milk products (mainly cream cheese, heavy cream, and cheese), and eggs.  He will eat less than 1 serving of veggies a day.

This forces his body into a state of starvation - ketosis, I believe it's called.  His behavior has changed - he has 'high's and 'low's as I call them, is really irritable, and isn't sleeping well.  Yet because he's lost a few pounds he thinks it's awesome.

This diet also says DO NOT exercise.  

What are your opinions on this kind of diet?

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Welcome to the group!  I've honestly never heard of any diet like that before...but not eating fruits and veggies is NOT something I would recommend.  Where did he get this idea from?  Meat is good for you...the leaner kinds, and there's no such thing as too much lean meat in my personal opinion:)  Now the heavy diary...lots of fat in those, and I wouldn't eat so much of those.  I'm a huge fan of well balanced diets...veggies, fruits, lean protein, lowfat dairy, whole grains...little processed food, and LOTS of water!  I wish him the best!

itsm3
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

doesn't sound healthy to me.

i don't believe in "diets".  anything that restricts food groups IMO isn't good.... you have to eat a balanced meal of everything in order for your body to get the most of it.  this means meats, fruits, veggies, fats, grains.  i eat all of these in a 50%protein (lean meats, fish or egg whites), 30% carbs, 20% fats ratio and i eat the healthy versions of carbs (sweet potato/brown rice etc) and fats (avocado, fish oils, nuts etc). 

in order to lose weight properly, you have to feed your body a balanced meal.  it's about understanding how many calories your body needs to maintain your current weight and then working in a deficit to lose weight. not sure why any diet would not promote exericse either. 

btw, i eat 4 eggs per day (egg whites only) because it's pure protein. 

Silvertears1275
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM

What he's eating isn't the problem, it's what he isn't eating.  The body does need carbohydrates to function properly.  I eat primal, which is all that he's eating plus A LOT of veggies and fruits.  Being in ketosis is not recommended for extended periods of time and should be supervised by a doctor.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:36 PM
3 moms liked this

Welcome to the group!

Um, YIKES.  This is SOOOO dangerous.  Literally shaking my head reading this, eyes bugged out.  Where did this come from??  I'm glad you recognize this is NOT a good idea.  The worst part is that he IS seeing changes (of course- anytime you cut your calories dramatically, you'll see changes for a little bit).

Is this supposed to be some version of Atkins?  He's on a fast track to heart disease, liver and kidney damage from the ammonia, brain damage from a lack of carbohydrates (carbs are literally BRAIN FOOD), and the behavior changes and sleep disturbances are very common with both very low calorie and very low carb diets.  His body is in starvation mode, which means he's damaging his organs and muscles, and this could be IRREVERSIBLE.  Ketosis is NOT a healthy condition to be in, and it's very hard on the organs and brain (I shudder at diets that rely on ketosis).

ANY diet that says NOT to exercise should be avoided like the plague.  It's a sign that the diet is not only too few calories to actually NOURISH the body, but is downright dangerous.

The theory behind a high protein diet is that protein builds muscle, and without exercise, you CANNOT build muscle.  Ketosis burns fat instead of muscle, in theory, but eating too few calories will dominate that.  Fat is more efficiently stored energy (9 calories per gram instead of 4 in carbs and protein), so the body shifts to burning quicker calories to conserve that fat.  Thus, it burns muscles (especially since they're not being used with exercise), organs, and brain tissue.  Ketosis is a whole other dangerous metabolic process that really really really should be avoided.

I'd physically shake him for you if I could! 

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Also, eggs won't contribute to high cholesterol unless high cholesterol is an issue, and actually the way he's eating is the WORST possible way to eat if that is an issue.  The yolks of eggs have a ton of nutrients that are important.  A diet low in animal fats and high in soluble fiber will lower cholesterol.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

iuangina
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:40 PM
This is the Atkins diet. High fat, high protein. During the first two weeks no exercise because you don't have any carbs to burn. You lose weight but you have no energy. It's only supposed to be that strict for 2 weeks.

Not healthy and not a good idea for long term weight loss
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been on a ketogenic diet for just over 2 years and I haven't been this healthy in 20+ years (I'm 47 yrs old.)  My bloodwork results improved phenomenally.  Kidney disease disappeared.  My diabetes is easily controlled.  I sleep much better at night.  I have plenty of energy.  The difference between my diet and your DH's is that 2/3 to 3/4 of my diet is veggies, some fruits, nuts, and good fats like coconut oil and avocado along with animal fats from GRASS FED animals. A true ketogenic diet doesn't avoid all carbs (which he isn't, because there ARE carbs in dairy products), it just keeps them below a certain level of consumption.  I operate best when I consume between 45g and 60g carbs a day from all of the veggies I eat, yet my body is still in ketosis.  It sounds like your DH doesn't truly understand ketosis and is starving his body of necessary nutrients.  Have him research Paleo or Primal diets or Jimmy Moore's Living La Vida Low Carb to see what a truly successful ketogenic diet includes.  I'll post this link, if you're interested in reading about why your DH may be irritable:  http://www.eat-real-food-paleodietitian.com/paleo-diet-and-ketosis.html

BTW, ketosis is a NORMAL metabolic state.  It is the state of burning fat for fuel when it runs out of carbs (and it's easier for the body to convert fat to energy than protein...so it'll choose the easy way.)  Everyone's body does it.  Most of the medical profession freaks out when they hear "ketosis" because they don't really understand the difference between ketosis and the lethal ketoacidosis....even my own doctor doesn't understand it.  Ketoacidosis is RARELY found outside of Type 1 diabetes or alcoholics.

Ketosis vs. Acidosis  (from http://www.healthguideinfo.com/diabetes-complications/p104610/)

written by: Ravneet Kaur • edited by: Diana Cooper • updated: 1/28/2011

Although you might think of ketosis and ketoacidosis as the same, they are two different conditions. Read on to learn more about these terms mean and the relationship between ketosis vs ketoacidosis.

• Understanding Ketosis vs Ketoacidosis

Some people believe that ketosis and ketoacidosis are the same condition, but these are two different conditions related to the body's metabolism. Learning the differences between ketosis vs ketoacidosis will help to dispel myths surrounding their cause and diagnosis.

• What is Ketosis

Ketosis is a state in which the body starts burning fat for energy due to lack of new glucose in the diet. Althugh ketosis is commonly seen in individuals participating in a low-carb diet, it is also seen in people suffering from a lack of insulin as well as prolonged periods of fasting or starvation.

Carbohydrates provide the body with glucose. The pancreas secretes a hormone called insulin that works with the glucose in the bloodstream to provide energy to the body's organs and cells. When the glucose supply is exhausted, it begins to break down stored fat to meet its energy needs for normal functioning. The accumulation of ketone molecules in the blood make it extremely acidic. This irritates the kidneys, which flush out ketones through urine.

Ketosis gets its name from the ketones that are produced in the process of breaking down the fat. In a healthy person, the amount of fat that is burned and ketones that are produced is tightly controlled, causing no harmful side effects. Dietary ketosis seen in those participating in low-carbohydrate diets can be quite helpful in losing weight, as fat is burned in the entire process to gain energy. As ketosis is usually a diet-induced process, it isn’t harmful, unlike ketoacidosis, which is a life-threatening condition.

• What is Diabetic Ketoacidosis

Diabetic ketoacidosis is a condition afflicting mainly type 1 diabetes patients who suffer from hyperglycemia as a result of lack of insulin. Inadequate insulin levels result in the failure of the body to utilize blood glucose as a fuel source; rather, to compensate the decreased energy levels, the body starts breaking down fat, resulting in ketones. Without insulin to control the amount of ketones produced during this process, an excessive amount is produced. The high concentration of ketones coupled with heightened blood glucose levels causes the blood to become significantly acidic.

As a result of high blood sugar levels and inadequate insulin, acidic ketones create chemical imbalance in the body and produce life-threatening symptoms and can even cause death.

Diabetic ketoacidosis in children might be the result of undiagnosed diabetic mellitus. Symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis in children are:

• Severe abdominal pain
    • Excessive thirst
    • Nausea and vomiting
    • Confusion
    • Restlessness
    • Flushed skin
    • Fruity-scented breath, primarily because of ketones

In the case of adults, common diabetic ketoacidosis symptoms are:

• Gastrointestinal problems
    • Nausea, vomiting
    • Decreased appetite
    • Illness
    • Dry mouth
    • Dehydration
    • Shortness of breath

Though type 1 diabetes patients are more vulnerable to developing diabetic ketoacidosis, in some cases, type 2 diabetes patients, too, can develop this condition due to prolonged illness.

• Ketosis vs Ketoacidosis: Key Differences

Now that we have understood both Ketosis and Ketoacidosis, it is clear how both terms differ.

• Ketosis, in most cases, is a diet-induced condition that results in the body breaking down fat and fatty acid to create energy because of inadequate glucose supply in the diet, normally from a low-carbohydrate diet, a prolonged fast or starvation. Diabetic ketoacidosis is a condition when the body cannot use blood glucose to produce energy due to lack of insulin and thus uses its muscle mass, fat, and fatty acid.
    • In ketosis, ketones do not cause harm to the body because insulin keeps a check on their production. In diabetic ketoacidosis, the blood becomes extremely acidic because of high sugar levels, inadequate insulin and an excess of ketones, resulting in chemical imbalance in the body.

Ketoacidosis Prevention

Remain strict with your diabetes management by taking daily doses of insulin, following a heart-healthy diet and adding physical activity to your daily routine. This would keep diabetic ketoacidosis at bay to a great extent.

wahmx3
by Shelley on Mar. 31, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Love what Suzanne said....is there any way you can show this thread to your husband....we would hate for him to do long term damage to his body organs.

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome to the group!

Um, YIKES.  This is SOOOO dangerous.  Literally shaking my head reading this, eyes bugged out.  Where did this come from??  I'm glad you recognize this is NOT a good idea.  The worst part is that he IS seeing changes (of course- anytime you cut your calories dramatically, you'll see changes for a little bit).

Is this supposed to be some version of Atkins?  He's on a fast track to heart disease, liver and kidney damage from the ammonia, brain damage from a lack of carbohydrates (carbs are literally BRAIN FOOD), and the behavior changes and sleep disturbances are very common with both very low calorie and very low carb diets.  His body is in starvation mode, which means he's damaging his organs and muscles, and this could be IRREVERSIBLE.  Ketosis is NOT a healthy condition to be in, and it's very hard on the organs and brain (I shudder at diets that rely on ketosis).

ANY diet that says NOT to exercise should be avoided like the plague.  It's a sign that the diet is not only too few calories to actually NOURISH the body, but is downright dangerous.

The theory behind a high protein diet is that protein builds muscle, and without exercise, you CANNOT build muscle.  Ketosis burns fat instead of muscle, in theory, but eating too few calories will dominate that.  Fat is more efficiently stored energy (9 calories per gram instead of 4 in carbs and protein), so the body shifts to burning quicker calories to conserve that fat.  Thus, it burns muscles (especially since they're not being used with exercise), organs, and brain tissue.  Ketosis is a whole other dangerous metabolic process that really really really should be avoided.

Lavi01
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Suzanne is absolutely right.

I'm sure your husband - and others on a high meat, low carb diet will reach there short term goal. Cutting out carbs and other processed foods will definitely speed up weight loss, but increased meat consumption also speeds up heart disease, cancers and a host of other problems we can never put our finger on (ie. irritability, trouble sleeping, mood swings, etc).

Lets not forget Dr. Adkins died of a heart attack. I urge everyone to watch the documentary Forks Over Knives and see what clean eating can do for your body vs. fad diets.

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome to the group!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Dr Atkins died from a head injury sustained from a fall on the ice.

Quoting Lavi01:

Suzanne is absolutely right.

I'm sure your husband - and others on a high meat, low carb diet will reach there short term goal. Cutting out carbs and other processed foods will definitely speed up weight loss, but increased meat consumption also speeds up heart disease, cancers and a host of other problems we can never put our finger on (ie. irritability, trouble sleeping, mood swings, etc).

Lets not forget Dr. Adkins died of a heart attack. I urge everyone to watch the documentary Forks Over Knives and see what clean eating can do for your body vs. fad diets.

Quoting musicpisces:

Welcome to the group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)