Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What did you do when you were younger..

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM
  • 18 Replies

Well first off i was very active 7 years on the swim team and one year on the track team(i am talking about High School team sports). well there was this VHS tape called "hip hop body shop" it felt like a back up dancer try out ...me and my sister thought we were some what good at that work out but we were both in shape and at first we were like "um no we are NOT doing this" we were out of breath and everything but tried our best .. but it did feel a lil to crazy but now that i think about it ..it kind of makes me laugh ..do you have any stories when you were younger that makes you laugh fitness related ?? or do you have any stories that you pushed ur self and say "I can do that" or "i didnt think i can do that BUT i did it"...

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
daytonbaby210
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I miss the days before having my son when jogging and swimming were enough to allow me to chow down on fast food from time to time. I have to be very careful of what I eat.

nikkiej2012
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:06 PM

yeah i miss those days too but  life goes on and gets better with healthy stuff

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I think about how I used to jump rope for HOURS.  GAWD, I wish I could now!

My mom taught aerobics when I was a kid, so I did a lot of her routines (she tells me I'd be in my carseat doing them motions when songs would come on the radio!), or I'd play racquetball or play on the gym equipment (I especially loved the rowing machine) while she'd teach.

When I was 23, I went into the Navy.  When we had battle stations (week 6, I think?), we'd run from evolution to evolution, all the way across the base, back and forth, all night long for this one night (it's like a big cumulative thing of stuff you've been learning the whole time to teach you to be able to work under stress in a war situation).  There were something like 12 evolutions (bear with me about the details- this was 10 years ago), and after the second one, I fell running on the blacktop at a full sprint, shredding my knees and shins.  I got up and ran to the next evolution, where the corpsman checked me out.  He said I could bow out for the night (but I'd have to do it another night with a different division), and I said no, I will push through tonight, because I CANNOT do this again, and I have the adrenaline NOW.  Plus, I knew my legs weren't going to feel any BETTER doing it another day.  Boy am I glad I did, because they were so shredded and bruised I could barely walk for the next 2 weeks.  I was only medically cleared the day of graduation (2 weeks later).  Even then, my legs looked horrible, and my poor mom was horrified when she saw them!  But I don't think I could do what I did that night now!  I really pushed through!

Before boot camp, I needed to lose weight to be within standards, and I also wanted to be in the best shape I could be in before I went, because I knew it would be tough.  I hired a personal trainer in the final 6 weeks before I left.  I had him work me through stuff I knew I'd need in boot camp (particularly push ups).  I'm glad I did.  The first time we got "beat" (punishment with physical activity), I was the only girl who could keep up!  Then another guy and I got beat in front of the division because he talked to me.  Again, I was able to keep up with the guy.  When we had the Captain's Cup (a competition between graduating divisions), I competed in the push up competition, and beat out all of the girls and most of the guys with my 82 in 2 minutes (you can't put your knees down at any point, even for a break).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

aniters
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM
I miss being able to eat anything anytime i want and not gaining weight. I miss not having to exercise lol :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momma-Bearof3
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM
I was a dancer for 13 years. Kept me in great shape. 4 kids later and years in between and I can barely move BUT I will get back to somewhat pre-prego weight :-) lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:21 PM
I used to long distance run and do Pilates. No time for either anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crabbyD
by Diana on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM
To be honest I never did anything... I'm waaaay more active now than before. I regret not joining a team or having an active extracurricular activity because I would have kicked some ass, lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:07 AM

In the years that really counted, I was the same way.  It was only when I was pretty little and then in my 20s that I ever was active.  I wanted to join sports and do dance and such, but my dad wouldn't let me.  I never found exercising on my own to be fun.

Quoting crabbyD:

To be honest I never did anything... I'm waaaay more active now than before. I regret not joining a team or having an active extracurricular activity because I would have kicked some ass, lol!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

crabbyD
by Diana on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM
You know I never really bothered asking because I was a huge help with my parents and regarding my brothers care with special needs... I bet if I did want to join something they'd be ok with it... But I just never thought it would work out with our family schedule... I did a lot of assuming back then, lol. My parents were pretty strict too so again I didn't bother asking :/

Quoting musicpisces:

In the years that really counted, I was the same way.  It was only when I was pretty little and then in my 20s that I ever was active.  I wanted to join sports and do dance and such, but my dad wouldn't let me.  I never found exercising on my own to be fun.

Quoting crabbyD:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:24 AM

My asthma was really bad as a kid and I SUCKED at sports- always the last one picked for teams in PE and such. I was a super skinny kid- but after puberty hit and all- I gained a bunch of weight. I went from like 90 lbs to 150 in a couple years.  As high school went on- I took dance classes at school, but that was about it -and I walked quite a bit- still ended senior yr overweight...

I am more active now than ever before 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN