Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Eating Clean

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:50 PM
  • 6 Replies

So today my husband says "I need to start eating healthy." I said "Yes, we do."

I have heard of "eating clean" and I am reading up on it. I think that it is really the best way to go as far as improving our diet as a family.

Is any one "eating clean" ?

Do you have any tips or advice?

Is it more expensive?

I know that healthy is better and cost shouldn't matter when it is between processed and full of who-knows-what foods and natural healthy foods. We are a family of 5 though and we have a budget. I want to do my best to watch the processed foods so much as possible and add as many clean foods as we can though.

Is it hard?

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Silvertears1275
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not really harder, but it does take more work in the kitchen if you've been used to grabbing convenience meals and other processed foods.  As for the expense... it just depends.  I don't think I spend much more, but some people say that they do.  Usually it all evens out for me.... cutting out the junk food gives you more money to put towards the fresh stuff =)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:18 AM

There are a lot of us in here who eat clean.  I've actually found that the more strict I am, the better.  The cravings seriously disappear when you're strict with it.  I never felt deprived when I was more strict (wish I'd never let sugar back in, seriously).

We are on FS, and I manage to make it last nearly the whole month (occasionally the whole month!).  I get what I can at Costco, but I do the majority of my shopping at Whole Foods (hard to find truly clean foods elsewhere, and organic is very important to me).  I've been eating clean for about 3 years, so I've worked out a lot of kinks, and have found the foods we like that fit in the budget.  I also buy a lot from bulk bins, which saves us a lot of money.  I make our beans from dry, we grow what we can (though I don't have the time to garden these days), and again, I buy what I can from Costco (at least what's actually cheaper there).

Have you subscribed to Clean Eating magazine, or bought any of Tosca Reno's books yet?  If you haven't, I would recommend it!  CE mag is worth every penny.  Like you, it really spoke to me when I read up on eating clean.  It just made perfect sense.  It wasn't hard for me, because I already cooked from scratch.  I liked healthy foods already.  It was more DH that had trouble with it (still does, but he's not on board with this whole "get healthy" journey of mine).  We've found our balance and compromises.  Sounds like you don't have that issue!  =)

Meal planning is a BIG help with this.  It takes awhile once every week or two, but it's time well spent that saves me even more time over the course of the week.  I plan my grocery lists based on meals, so there are no extraneous purchases, and we hardly throw away any food, if any at all.  We do leftover nights (plan ahead for those), and lunches are often leftovers.  I make good use of my freezer- we are buying a deep freezer.  I try to make my own tomato sauce/chopped tomatoes with stuff from the farmer's market.

I hope that gives you some ideas.  Feel free to ask anything you like- I'm very familiar with this!  Luckily, many members of this group do this or some version thereof, so you can get lots of varied ideas!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

messa0117
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:07 PM

After eating my last Easter candy, I'm ready to eat clean!!!

butterflycircle
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I am right there with you!  : )

Quoting messa0117:

After eating my last Easter candy, I'm ready to eat clean!!!

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:53 AM
I have been implementing it little by little. Unfortunately, my husband is not on board lol but, we only share one meal during the week so I make it work best I can.

I started by switching some of our fruits and veggies to organic. I don't always buy organic though :( i sometimes opt for what is in season. I'm hoping to go to the farmers market more now that it is getting warmer out!

I already cook at home a lot, so that was not a big deal for me. Tweaking some of our recipes was a cinch. One of my new favorite things that we do is popping our own popcorn vs getting the microwave bags. It is so delicious!

I agree with the meal planning!! What a help!!

For me, I have noticed a hike in cost because I used to coupon quite heavily. I still love my coupons, but I don't really use them all that much for food lately. Plus, I purchase grass fed beef, organic chicken, etc which is a bit more than the conventional. I am researching new ways to save, though.

Can i just add that...my biggest reward (besides losing the weight!) has been my kids attitude towards eating. I am sad to say that before, they would say "why aren't we having mcdonalds for dinner?!":( To I want strawberries/blueberries/fish/chicken! They are 5 and 3, by the way. I felt terrible before, but now I am proud that they have been re-trained lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
butterflycircle
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Wow that is great tat your kids are so on board : ). My daughter is 7 and she would rather have almost anything than fruits and veggies (idk where I went wrong). My son is 2 going on 3 and he LOVES fresh fruits and veggies.

I think I am going to just do it little by little as well. I buy organic when it is on sale or the price is close to non organic (budgeting). Usually it is pretty close though (especially when in season)  : ).  I am going to stop buying canned fruits and veggies. I am going to just freeze my own too when they are on sale I will stock up. 

I cook at home a lot. Lately I have been slacking b/c my youngest is 3 weeks old today. I am getting back into the swing of things now though. I will have to start tweaking some o fmy recipies though and it scares me a little. I am already figuring on using the rest of what we have around here and as we run out of things I will try to get "clean" foods. Just reading up on things I have realized just how much "crap" we are putting into our bodies : (

I like coupons too and I know there are far less coupons for organic foods. I am sure I will see our spending go up a little but I hope that with meal planning budgeting will not be to hard.

Quoting iamcafemom83:

I have been implementing it little by little. Unfortunately, my husband is not on board lol but, we only share one meal during the week so I make it work best I can.

I started by switching some of our fruits and veggies to organic. I don't always buy organic though :( i sometimes opt for what is in season. I'm hoping to go to the farmers market more now that it is getting warmer out!

I already cook at home a lot, so that was not a big deal for me. Tweaking some of our recipes was a cinch. One of my new favorite things that we do is popping our own popcorn vs getting the microwave bags. It is so delicious!

I agree with the meal planning!! What a help!!

For me, I have noticed a hike in cost because I used to coupon quite heavily. I still love my coupons, but I don't really use them all that much for food lately. Plus, I purchase grass fed beef, organic chicken, etc which is a bit more than the conventional. I am researching new ways to save, though.

Can i just add that...my biggest reward (besides losing the weight!) has been my kids attitude towards eating. I am sad to say that before, they would say "why aren't we having mcdonalds for dinner?!":( To I want strawberries/blueberries/fish/chicken! They are 5 and 3, by the way. I felt terrible before, but now I am proud that they have been re-trained lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN