Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

want to go to the gym but feel embarrased to go.

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM
  • 29 Replies

Do any of you feel embarrassed when going to the gym? I feel that people will look and stare at me. i mean people do already because im in a foreign country so i shouldn't care, but i know that some people are immature and make others feel bad by making themselves feel good.

So, my questions are:

1. Do you feel embarrassed to go to the gym because of your weight?
2. Have you gone yet?
3. Do you feel people are staring and making fun of you because of your weight?

Do you ladies have advice?

-Angelique

by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
asaffell
by Silver Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:24 PM

that's why I've always worked out harder at home. I know logically that they aren't judging me, but I don't put in the same effort as I do by myself.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I've only worked out in gyms in the US, but in my experience, few people stare at the "big people."  Most are wrapped up in their own workouts.  I think more people than not think, "Great job getting here!" rather than anything negative (or at least, that's what I'd like to think!).  When I see someone bigger in the gym, I seriously want to hug them and high five them for coming to the gym, because I know it's intimidating for a lot of people.

My mom was an aerobics instructor when I was a kid, so I've always felt comfortable in the gym, even when I was close to 300 lbs.  I have never had anyone say anything mean to me in the gym (on the street, yes).  I've never been stared at or anything like that.  I make eye contact with larger people and smile or say hi, because I have been there.

If there's more than one gym available to you, I'd highly recommend checking out at least a few.  Each of them has a different feel.  Some you may eliminate because you just get a bad feeling when you walk in, but some you may feel really good in.  Try out a few, try a free week's pass or whatever they're willing to let you do, and go with what feels good for you.

If you don't feel comfortable changing in the locker rooms yet, then go ready to go and head home to shower, but I'd encourage you as you get down more (I saw your post that you've already lost some- congrats!) to try to get comfortable with that.  That can be a big step!

You can do it!  You'll be glad you did if you do!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

MamaKarrot
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I have personally had all good experiences at the gym.  And I started my journey at 221 pounds.  Everyone is there for the same reason and plenty of people are/were in the same shape as me.  I used to feel really nervous, but I forced myself to start going and now I love it.  

And trust me, I've gone to step classes at the gym where I've made a complete asshole of myself, lol.  I mean like, in a huge auditorium the teacher is making hand guestures at me to get my lefts and rights together.  It was bad.  But after the class the teacher approached me and congratulated me on sticking to it and trying instead of walking out. Most people have the same good attitude at the gym, so don't freak yourself out thinking you're putting on a show of shame for people.  I guarantee you you're not. :)

Fitfamilyof9
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I hate gyms!  I'm not embarrassed or anything and I know everyone is there doing their own thing and doesn't care about me.  But I don't like going.  Never have.  I do videos at home like my belly dancing videos and soon Turbo Jam and then I go outside and play with my kids, go on hikes, etc.  If you don't like going you'll find reasons not to.  Find something that you enjoy doing.  If you want to talk it out let me know (I'm a health coach).  I'm sure there are a lot better things for you to do that you'll look forward to!

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:35 AM

When I was heavier there def were exercise moves I wouldn't do in the gym... Like sit ups were a struggle and not pretty sight so I worked on them before going to the gym. I built enough strength that I don't look horrible or self conscious about doing them in front of people. I go to the gym alot. I agree with trying out the gym to get the vibe... I've gone to "hardcore" bodybuilding type of gyms.... I never felt judged there... Everyone was there to sweat and get work done. I go to planet fitness now and I never felt judged, but I find myself getting hit on alot more than I did at my old gym. I just focus in the fact I need to lose weight and it will only happen by showing up. And the staff members at PF are so nice... I love it. 

Thomasmom07
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:42 AM
I feel the same way. I want to join a gym so bad but and embarrassed to go because of my weight (I'm a 280). I think my biggest thing is working out in front of men so I have thought about joining curves or something that is all women. I will have to drive a little farther but maybe I will feel more comfortable working out around just women lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silvertears1275
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I know exactly how you feel... I just started going to the gym to use their indoor track to run and it was an enormous mental hurdle to get over.  I was OK with going to use the equipment, but I was so convinced everyone would stare at the fat girl running.  But really, no one paid me any attention, and I quickly realized I was not the only big person there, or even the only big person running.

KellBell0820
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:41 AM
I used to feel the same way. It took a lot for me to get over too. I ended up joining a kickboxing class and after the first couple of classes I realized no one was looking at me or whispering behind my back.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Sweetie, I'm a Zumba instructor and let me tell you something: I'd much rather see an overweight person at the gym working out and trying to improve themselves than sitting at home on the couch eating potato chips. Most people are too involved in their own workout routine to even notice anyone else. I say good for you trying to work out and get healthy!

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM
I am not currently enrolled in the gym, but I have been when I was well over 200 lbs. there were quite a few others like me, some even heavier. Once you get to know your gym and have some workouts to focus on, everyone else fades away. I've never witnessed any sort of bullying at the gym.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)