Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

strength training??

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 13 Replies
I am finally down 10lbs! Usually I last 2-3 days and quit, not this time! It's been about 2 weeks and its paying off :) I love doing cardio and do it everyday but I know I need to add strength training. I don't care for it very much and need some ideas....what DVDs or what kind of routines do you ladies like??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I get workouts from Oxygen magazine, and they have a great website, oxygenmag.comSparkpeople.com has a good listing of exercises, and you can put together your own workouts.  Make sure that over the course of the week, you're hitting all of the major muscle groups.

Great job on those first 10 lbs!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

itsm3
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM

i LOVE lifting.  right now i'm doing body beast but did over 100days of p90x because i loved that program!

workathomema-tx
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I use Jamie Eason's Live FIt on www.bodybuilding.com. Great program!

BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:39 AM
I just do a target area daily, that way that group has time to recover and you're not getting bored with the same thing everyday. I do core everyday, though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:49 AM

really? are you doing different areas of your core every day (so that the areas you worked on get 1 day rest) because i was told by many PTs (and based on all the research i've done) that just like other muscles, you shouldn't do core every day but every other day to give them a chance to rest...which is why i only do core every other day but if i can do core daily, then i will!

Quoting BeAmour:

I just do a target area daily, that way that group has time to recover and you're not getting bored with the same thing everyday. I do core everyday, though.

flowrsgalore
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Yeah I get a much better feeling after from cardio. I'm a newby to strength training. I think what I'm doing is some yoga moves w/ a big exercise ball. My routine was pieced together with the help of a physical therapist & stuff I've found on the Internet. I don't love it, but have started to see some definition in my back & abs. It could be all in my head.  Good job on the 10 pounds. I'm hoping that with more time at the strength, core work it'll be more rewarding.

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM

There are plenty of DVDs that focus on strength training: P90, P90X, Chalean Extreme, Les Mills Pump....

There are challenges online as well: www.hundredpushups.com <----there are links to a situps and squats challenge on there as well. 

I will caution you about doing cardio every day. It is going to be counter productive and your body needs rest in between. You should do cardio 4-5x per week and strength training 2-3x per week. If you are going to do both on the same day, you should do a short 5-10 minute cardio warm up, short stretch, do strength training for 45-60 minutes and then do your cardio workout. Your muscles need the glycogen that is in your body in order to pull weights properly and if your muscles have burned through all the glycogen by doing cardio, you are at risk for injury. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

just_hc
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I'm using Les Mills Combat now.  It give me both cardio and strenght training.  My legs were so sore last week I could barely walk. LOL! 

BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Yeah, I do a target and core everyday. I dunno, my trainer said something totally different. lol
Quoting itsm3:

really? are you doing different areas of your core every day (so that the areas you worked on get 1 day rest) because i was told by many PTs (and based on all the research i've done) that just like other muscles, you shouldn't do core every day but every other day to give them a chance to rest...which is why i only do core every other day but if i can do core daily, then i will!

Quoting BeAmour:

itsm3
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM

what i mean is, when you do core do you do your entire core (fronterior and posterior) or fronterior one day and then posterior the next? it would make sense if you alternated front/back every other day to work your core but  if you do 180 core, then i don't think you should do it every day? ..according to my research/other PTs/tony horton etc etc  ????  so confusing!!

Quoting BeAmour:

Yeah, I do a target and core everyday. I dunno, my trainer said something totally different. lol
Quoting itsm3:

Quoting BeAmour:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)