Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Out of shape!!

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM
  • 4 Replies
Prior to getting pregnant with ds, I had lost 80lbs. I had discovered hula hoop dance, and I absolutely love it. Mid way through pregnancy it got terribly uncomfortable to hoop. Also, I was sick a lot during my pregnancy. I was so excited to have lo so that I could get back into my routine of hooping regularly. I had a terrible birthing experience. We weren't sure if ds was going to make it. He suffered siezures, apnea, and had trouble regulating his body temp. They did a c section but not fast enough. Two days after being released from the hospital I felt bad, my incision was excessively painful, I had a fever, and felt awful. I went back to the hospital and they told me, "you're fine. You're just overly stressed and need some rest. I'm going to write you a prescription for sleeping pills." They sent me on my way. A day later I was right back in the hospital and had to have 4 surgeries back to back. They cut out 7 inches of tissue and muscle from my stomach. I was on a wound vac for a month and a half. My body hurts in ways I could have never imagined. I have gained sooooo much weight back. The 80 plus some. I'm so embarassed of my body. I've never had to watch what I eat because I've always been so active. I need help! I feel like eveything I eat goes right to my stomach, legs, arms. I'm really not trying to be down on myself. I went through the hardest experience of my life. Lo is 6 months old now and my body still hurts. I miss my sacred circle. I still hoop, I just don't have the stamina I used to. Any advice would be much appreciated!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ghostcat90
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM

First off *hugs* I had a "wonderful" birthing experience (epidurals are AWESOME!) and thankfully didn't have to go through anything like that.  BUT I do have a 6 month old and I am JUST NOW (as in TODAY) starting to try to work out again.  I read in one of the babycenter.com newsletters that no mom should put on her pre-pregnancy pants until 6 months.  In my head, this kinda fit everything because I'm just now starting to feel semi human again.  

Now, like I said, I didn't have the trauma you did, so I imagine your recovery time will take longer.  Start small, don't push yourself too hard or beat yourself up too bad.  You have been through a whole lot.  That is rough on the body and the mind.  Do you know anyone with a Wii?  It's not the same, but maybe the hoop is putting some strain on your scars?  WiiFit has a hula hoop game on it and it's kinda fun and will work up a sweat.  

You might try some yoga or pilates to strengthen your abdomen?  I would talk with either a personal trainer, physical therapist, or your doctor for ideas.  As someone with internal scarring (busted up my knee during a belt test for iaido),  scar tissue hurts and isn't as flexible (example, my bad knee is THROBBING and I just walked for 30 minutes...my other knee doesn't feel like I did anything) and can take longer to get into shape and keep mobile.  Hang in there!

cowgirls10181
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM
I am also out of shape. Only advide i can give you is work slowly, avoid sugars, sodas, and other steet treats. They are fine if you can only eat a little. But well o cant stop at a little, i have to have the whole pan!

I do what i can daily. Some days 3 + times while other days little to no workout. Dont stress eventually it will reduce again.
smileydawn
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM
We have a Wii. We don't have any fitness games though. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to give it a try! That's awesome to me that they have a hula hoop program. I am interested to see what that's like.
I had an epidural. I couldn't feel anything! But I got induced because of high blood pressure. And I never dialated past 3cm and they kept pumping me full of pitocin.. It really was a bad scene. Dh and I don't even want another baby now because of everything that happened. Don't get me wrong, I am sooooooo in love with my lo and would go through everything a billion times over for him. But it really ruined my experience. And the scar tissue is what hurts the most. Its so crazy how carrying a child and child birth changes your body so extrememly.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I'm sorry to hear you went through all that!

I would start with your food.  How and what you eat is 80% of the battle.  I eat clean, and I've lost over 100 lbs so far by eating that way (you can click here to read the basics).

Are you able to walk, swim, bike, do DVDs, do anything like that?

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN