Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

stalled progress

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 7 Replies
I'm stuck. I eat healthy and only drink water or the occasional coffee but I can't exercise. My back is permanently messed up and I can barely walk 10 mins.
I don't know what to do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frecklesthehen
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM

you can do arm things, like lifting cans of soup, or resistance bands.

also, walmart has this "bike" thing, its just foot pedals that you can change the resistance on, you can get one of those. i'll add a pic..

Drive Medical Exercise Peddler with Attractive Silver Vein Finish

Kimbyann
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Oh, nice. I'll look into that. I still think its sad that a 21yo has back issues >_> all those zumba classes and such look fun :(

Quoting frecklesthehen:

you can do arm things, like lifting cans of soup, or resistance bands.

also, walmart has this "bike" thing, its just foot pedals that you can change the resistance on, you can get one of those. i'll add a pic..

Drive Medical Exercise Peddler with Attractive Silver Vein Finish

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaChelleB
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Oh no! What's wrong with your back if you dont mind me asking?

Kimbyann
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I don't know. I've always had bad scoliosis but after I gave birth I can't hold any weight (no necklaces, halter tops, heavy dresses even my baby) or stand for short periods of time

Quoting MommaChelleB:

Oh no! What's wrong with your back if you dont mind me asking?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fitfamilyof9
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Do you track your foods anywhere?  There are a lot of things that could be stalling your progress.  If you aren't eating enough calories you won't lose weight, if you're eating too many you also won't lose weight.  If you are stressed your body also holds onto weight.  Do you know about how many colories you are eating a day?  Where those calories are coming from also plays a huge role.  If you're eating processed foods at every meal you may be consuming too many processed carbs and salt.  Salt will make you retain water.  Good rule of thumb is don't worry about what you're taking out at first, just what you put into your body.  Lots of fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains (NOT whole grain bread, I mean whole grains like quinoa, rice, buckwheat, steal cut oats), beans, and seeds.  Veggies should be in every meal of every day and as many dark leafy greens as you can eat!  (but keep salad dressing to a minimum if you can)  After a few weeks of making sure you are eating all these great stuff then you can start cutting out things like bread, pasta, tortillas, chips, and cereals and limiting your meat and dairy (I'd say cut dairy out all together but that's not for everyone).  If you feed your body the healthy food first before pushing out processed foods you won't have such strong cravings.

Can you swim?  Is there a YMCA near you with a pool?  They usually have water aerobics there.  I would think that would help your back quite a bit plus get you active.  Your joints start to stiffen when they aren't used enough.  You will feel better if you are able to keep moving.  I highly recommend shooting for an hour a day swimming if you're able.

Also, eating like this will decrease inflammation in your body which will help with the pain you are feeling.  I'd also recommend either taking magnesium suppliments and a fish oil suppliment.  Epsom salt baths are also amazing.  Here's a my blog on epsom salts because their amazingness would make this post very long: aboveedenhealingarts.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/why-epsom-salts/ 

If you have any questions or want someone to bounce ideas off please feel free to message me.  

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Weight loss is about diet, not exercise.  So don't use the lack of exercise as an excuse.

How much are you eating?  Are you following any program?  Are you counting calories?

Gabrielle1982
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I'd ask my doctor if I were you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)