Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

A Weight Loss Journey with My Husband

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM
  • 11 Replies
2 moms liked this

Hi everyone! My name is Michelle, I've been following some of your posts on here and you guys are doing great! My husband, Brad, is the one on the weight loss journey. His overall goal is to lose 93 lbs. He started at 343 lbs 3 weeks ago, and has lost 20 lbs so far. His weigh in days are Sunday after he gets up (he works nights, sleeps in the morning, awake around 6pm). His weigh in this last Sunday, he was 323 lbs. I havent taken an updated inches lost yet, will do so at his 1 month mark.

I am just so very proud of him for starting this weight loss journey! I was getting very concerned about him, and he would refuse to go see a doctor for any kind of check up. He's tried diets in the past and wouldnt go farther than a week or two on them. So this time he's actually staying with it and liking it!

For exercise, we go out and walk a mile or 2 miles depending on the day. We have also started slowly on slim in 6 - start it up - exercise dvd. He follows his meal plan (which are foods that he loves to eat anyways, and we actually spend less money on food now that we arent buying a bunch of pastas, sauces, sodas, koolaid, etc) each week, and the meal plan allows the 7th day as a 'free day' to eat what you've been craving over the week. He just keeps with portion control, eats every 3 hours, and can have whatever he wants on that day.

I will keep this updated with his weight loss and our exercise program!

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tifftorres
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

That is great to hear!!

ALWsMomma
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations to both of you! 20lbs in 3 weeks is great!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommaChelleB
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Whew! Just got in a great 20 minute workout with Debbie on Slim in 6 - Start It Up - got a great sweat going on!

MommaChelleB
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I want to elaborate on my husband's meal options a little bit more, and what he eats each day. He follows the meal options in his trainer website (free to join), which is as follows:

Eat every 3 hours, 5 times a day. Portion sizes (we have a portion guide which also shows great food substitutes such as he wont eat cottage cheese, so he'll have scrambled eggs instead).

He has a healthy shake to start off his day (1 scoop mixed with 1 cup of skim milk), 3 hours later he will eat what we have picked out for him (usually a breakfast type of food, or a deli meat rollup), 3 hours later he will have some chicken or turkey or something of substance so he doesnt get hungry, then 3 hours after that is his carb drink with a snack (usually some almonds, or a cucumber salad since he loves his cucumbers!), 3 hours after that is his last meal of the day so he'll eat some type of meat usually (turkey melt, grilled chicken, steak). On his high carb days he pairs his meals with a carb, such as a low carb tortilla (roast beef wraps with cream cheese, lettuce and tomatos are SO GOOD!), whole grain english muffin, red potatos with broccoli with some cheddar cheese grated over the top, just to name a few.

So he still eats what he loves to eat, and we substitute any food (using the guide) he doesnt like with something he does like.

Weeks 1-3: Day 1 Low Carb, Day 2 Low Carb, Day 3 High Carb. Repeat for days 4, 5, & 6. Then on day 7 is a guilt free day, eat what he has been craving though the week, but stay within portion sizes!

Week 4: Every day is a High Carb day, with 7th day being the guilt free day.

Repeat for the next month. We print out his meal options and stick it to our board in the kitchen so he can quickly look at it to know what he's eating for the day. He takes an insulated lunch pack to work for 2 of his meals since he eats every 3 hours and he's at work for 8 hours each day.

Pna1Dra6on
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Awesome keep it up :)!

MommaChelleB
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

What a beautiful day it is today! It's been raining the last few days, so I am very happy to see the beautiful weather today! We'll be heading out for our walk later today, it will be nice to soak up that sun!

My husband weighed himself this morning (a day early - he was curious lol), he's lost 6 lbs so far this week! Tomorrow marks the end of the 4th week of his weight loss journey, so in these first 4 weeks he's lost 26 lbs so far! I am so proud of him!

He's looking much better too! I measure how much he's lost around his waist with my arms :D I can now link my fingers together completely when I wrap my arms around him. When he first started, my fingers barely overlapped eachother at my finger tips. I am LOVING it!!

craftygrl
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I love to read about weight loss stories..   It always inspires me..:)

EiuGirl316
by Leah on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

That's awesome!! Can't wait to hear how he does. :-)

MommaChelleB
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:50 PM

A few photos :)

a06z08mama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Good job!!! It definitely helps that you are along side to help him!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN