Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

What kind of diets have worked for you?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 32 Replies

What type of diets have worked for you?

I don't know much about diets or healthy eating. I've considered maybe a smoothie diet, or the special K diet, or some frozen diet meals.. I don't know how to go about it but..

I do know when husband and I met I was 60 pounds lighter! It's far past time I start working to get back to my original weight...Before we met my diet mainly consist of cereal, lunch meat, fruits, and cheese. (My husbands family is a food family.. They eat large meals, alot of deep fried foods.) Being a stay at home mom, snacking all day doesn't help either!

I'm going grocery shopping next week and I'm trying to plan a healthier diet. I plan to get mostly fruits and veggies, meats, & fish... absolutely no junk or snacks, but I don't have a set diet plan.

What types of diets have you tried that have worked?

Spending as much time outside this summer as possible.. walking at park, playing on the playground are all things we look forward to but I know healthier food has to be the main component.

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this

eating clean works for me ...when I do cut out eating from the middle of the grocery store and all fresh vegies and lean meats and drink lots fo water it really works for  me and many others. Now I do have splurge days where i do have sweets or eat at my favorite resturant too. Weight Watchers also help me learn proper portions too and didnt feel like a diet ..diets especially the fad ones like shakes and special k and such just dont work long term sure you drop those ten pounds but you will gain them back and its not healthy to yoyo diet 

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Eating cleanly. Do not use a smoothie, special k or another fad. All you need to do is focus on eating clean, whole foods. Lean proteins, whole grains, produce, dairy if you choose and drink water. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise so make sure you are also getting cardio, strength and flexibility training.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM

No diet.

Changing your total view of eating will work.

Momabear455
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Weight Watchers is the only thing that worked for me, just cutting down on portions and getting plenty of exercise.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Honestly?   Calorie counting. That's what works for me, I still allow myself treats ans pasta or whatever- but I have to count for everything I eat- every day.

I have tried "diets" and never ever stuck to any of them or saw any results from them to be honest.

megandwade
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM

This is excellent advice.. I'm going to stay away from the middle of the store!

Quoting KelliansMom:

eating clean works for me ...when I do cut out eating from the middle of the grocery store and all fresh vegies and lean meats and drink lots fo water it really works for  me and many others. Now I do have splurge days where i do have sweets or eat at my favorite resturant too. Weight Watchers also help me learn proper portions too and didnt feel like a diet ..diets especially the fad ones like shakes and special k and such just dont work long term sure you drop those ten pounds but you will gain them back and its not healthy to yoyo diet 

megandwade
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Exactly how does calorie counting work? I know I sound stupid.. I mean I get the gist but how do you know what type of number your trying to reach. Do you just try to stay under the 2000 mark?

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Honestly?   Calorie counting. That's what works for me, I still allow myself treats ans pasta or whatever- but I have to count for everything I eat- every day.

I have tried "diets" and never ever stuck to any of them or saw any results from them to be honest.

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM

eating right, dropping soda and light exercise, i'm not in a rush to shed the pounds quickly, plus i work as a secretary and instead of paging them on the phone, i get up and go to their office when they have a call, i'm downstairs and some are upstairs so thats helping quite a bit too

megandwade
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

This is my goal. I just want to completely over haul the way we eat. I want healthy eating to be natural for my family, and My 2 year old son.. I've noticed he is requesting junk food!

Quoting BeAmour:

No diet.

Changing your total view of eating will work.

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Quoting megandwade:

Exactly how does calorie counting work? I know I sound stupid.. I mean I get the gist but how do you know what type of number your trying to reach. Do you just try to stay under the 2000 mark?

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

I have a range of calories to stick to every day- and what I do is keep a little book, where I write down everything and keep track.  I plan out my day so that I get all 3 meals and 2 snacks (one of which is ice cream or a cookie or whatever ). If I am having a higher calorie dinner- I eat less earlier- If I have a heavier lunch, I eat a lighter dinner... anyhow, I write it out and then I just stick to that (sometimes I switch things around-but I alwasy make it work out by the end of the day).  I do eat better for the most part- more veggies, leaner meat...but this allows me to still have things I like too -and not feel deprived at all :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)