Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

vegitarian?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • 5 Replies
I just watched a video that makes me really think about becoming a vegitarian.

Thoughts?
Anyone out there that is a vegitarian with some advice for me?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Lavi01
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM
3 moms liked this

Hi, 

I'm vegetarian and definitely feel better this past year (& had a super easy pregnancy) than I've felt in the previous 28 years!!!

I will always advocate vegetarianism, however if you really like meat (and I did) you can start by lowering your serving at meals, cutting out the unclean meat (like pork, shrimp & other scavengers/allergens).  I raised my son (who's 4) as a vegetarian - although I've only been vegetarian for a year. He's healthy, bright, full of energy and one of the smartest kids I've ever met (yes, mamas are allowed to brag every now and then, lol). 

Myths -

You will lack energy....Only if you're not eating enough of the good veggies, carbs, fruit, etc your body needs

You need meat (ie we are carnivores)...You can get the same nutrients from meat as you get from other whole foods & you can usually process it better (I.e. iron)

Meat is good for you... (sorry meat eaters) in General meat is a carcinogen, there are many behavior disturbances (irritability, mood swings, etc) linked to dairy, and digesting meat can be taxing to our system

JerzyGurl81
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Thank you!
wahmx3
by Shelley on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I think there are pros and cons to eating this way....you should do some research and decide if this is what you want to do. You can always try it for a few months and decide if you wish to continue.

edelweiss23
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM
This

Quoting Lavi01:

Hi, 

I'm vegetarian and definitely feel better this past year (& had a super easy pregnancy) than I've felt in the previous 28 years!!!

I will always advocate vegetarianism, however if you really like meat (and I did) you can start by lowering your serving at meals, cutting out the unclean meat (like pork, shrimp & other scavengers/allergens).  I raised my son (who's 4) as a vegetarian - although I've only been vegetarian for a year. He's healthy, bright, full of energy and one of the smartest kids I've ever met (yes, mamas are allowed to brag every now and then, lol). 

Myths -

You will lack energy....Only if you're not eating enough of the good veggies, carbs, fruit, etc your body needs

You need meat (ie we are carnivores)...You can get the same nutrients from meat as you get from other whole foods & you can usually process it better (I.e. iron)

Meat is good for you... (sorry meat eaters) in General meat is a carcinogen, there are many behavior disturbances (irritability, mood swings, etc) linked to dairy, and digesting meat can be taxing to our system

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)